INTO THE WOODS Previews

SouthernCakes
#100INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/5/22 at 2:52am

Please someone film this. What are the billionaires even doing with their money??

JasonC3
#101INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/5/22 at 9:05am

I haven't seen a show in this theatre in a long time, but have reviewed some of the photos from Seat Plan and A View from My Seat.

Would you go for front row mezzanine, or row H orchestra, both in the center and both the same price?

Hairspray0901
#102INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/5/22 at 10:05am

JasonC3 said: "I haven't seen a show in this theatre in a long time, but have reviewed some of the photos from Seat Plan and A View from My Seat.

Would you go for front row mezzanine, or row H orchestra, both in the center and both the same price?
"

Not sure how tall you are but the mezzanine does have the bar all the way across so that might effect your sight lines. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#103INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/5/22 at 10:27am

SouthernCakes said: "Please someone film this. What are the billionaires even doing with their money??"

They're producing this as a live stage production.

Would love to know how Disney plays into any filming, since they released the feature film and may have kill power or right of first refusal over any filming of a subsequent stage production. Historically, there have been a LOT of complications with trying to film stage properties that have feature film rights tied up. And then there's signoff from the major stakeholders, and negotiating with all the unions & personnel to ensure everyone is properly paid. These things are faaarrrr more challenging than just money.

Updated On: 7/5/22 at 10:27 AM

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#104INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/5/22 at 11:23am

I doubt Disney still holds the filming rights to this. Right?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#105INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/5/22 at 11:34am

Georgeanddot2 said: "I doubt Disney still holds the filming rights to this. Right?"

You would be surprised considering (a) there are very famous Broadway shows that premiere 50+ years ago whose film rights are STILL tied up by (non-Disney) film studios from feature adaptations decades ago; and (b) Disney is Disney and loves to be able to control filmed media. Especially considering the WOODS film was less than 8 years ago. But I don't know the specifics of Disney's WOODS film deal.

Updated On: 7/5/22 at 11:34 AM

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#106INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/5/22 at 12:54pm

I was tempted to get tickets for this when I’m in NYC this summer, but given the cost and the fact that I’ve seen the show multiple times before - and my community theatre is about to do it - I opted for seeing Company and Come From Away before they close. Believe me though, if ITW had a longer run and I had more time, I would so be there. 

Fingers crossed we get an album. With this cast and a run so limited that a lot of people inevitably won’t get to see it, it would be crazy not to. Plus if we aren’t getting a Company recording, they gotta give us the other Sondheim revival... 

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

Georgeanddot2
#107INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/6/22 at 12:06am

Saw the show tonight and had an incredible time. Basically 3 hours of killer line deliveries.

Little Red should be a Tony Award Winning role. Fantastic performance. Finds so much new depth in the material.

Sara is phenomenal. I'm even tempted to say that she's the best Baker's Wife I've ever seen.

Brian is the best Baker I've seen. Really incredible performance. Like pretty much everyone in this production he finds so many new moments in this material and he makes the Baker stand out in a way that other actors have not.

Phillipa is a great Cinderella and her voice is DIVINE. Her On the Steps of the Palace was fantastic. The Princes are phenomenal.

Patina did absolutely nothing for me at all. Honestly a very dull performance overall. She finds a couple of moments here and there, but it's surprisingly not a very fun performance really. I really hate to say it. Weirdly underacted and low energy and feels like she's in a different production.  She makes the Witch feel very secondary.

Loved the puppetry!

Into the Woods is one of my favorites. Probably top 3. This really stripped the show down to what originally made this musical so special. That being said, I do wish we could have this cast, but with a very lush and beautiful set.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#108INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/6/22 at 2:45pm

Kennedy Kanagwa and Aymee Garcia are out of today's matinee. If it's COVID, and others test positive, I'm concerned with what it'll will mean for opening night.

Updated On: 7/6/22 at 02:45 PM

Hairspray0901
#109INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/6/22 at 3:09pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Kennedy Kanagwa and Aymee Garcia are out of today's matinee. If it's COVID, and others test positive, I'm concerned with what it'll will mean for opening night."

Aymee was also out last night. According to Instagram, Lucia Spina went on with less than an hours notice and no official put in rehearsal. 

Duckie4
#110INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/6/22 at 3:31pm

Hairspray0901 said: 
"Aymee was also out last night. According to Instagram, Lucia Spina went on with less than an hours notice and no official put in rehearsal."

I was there last night. You could tell Lucia was struggling a bit with a few lyrics misplaced and she went up on a couple of lines, but she was a total pro. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#111INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/6/22 at 4:39pm

I have a ticket for July 20th I can no longer use in the rear mezz for $70 dm me if interested

shari evelyn
#112INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/6/22 at 7:32pm

Edit: NVM, sorry!

Updated On: 7/6/22 at 07:32 PM

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#113INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/7/22 at 4:42am

I saw various performances at City Center with all of the princes and then attended the Broadway matinee on Wednesday of this week with a seat in the balcony. As far as the cast changes go, I was most impressed with Phillipa. Soo who sang beautifully and was quite enchanting. Joshua Henry commanded the stage with his bellowing vocals and masculine interpretation. I much preferred Heather Headley at City Center, who had an undeniable star quality and sang viscerally to the back row over Patina Miller. Julie Lester (who was on fire) and Cole Thompson had both grown in their roles. I think I preferred NEal P Harris  over Brian. I liked the humor Neal infused and his relationship with Sarah. Brian was strong however, although he read much older than Sarah. Sarah was lovely although I thought her mike could have been turned up a tad. Gavin who is adorable in the role sometimes fades out at the ends of sentences and Patina was guilty of the same thing, both with the dialogue and vocals. I think the entire cast could play more to the entire house given the direction is so presentational. Even though they are miked some of the cast need to project more and be more conscious of articulating the dialogue and not talking over audience laughter.

Seems like there was less Milky White and I wondered if it was intentional given the puppet was on the cusp of upstaging during the City Center production. I do not remember the puppet being part of It Takes Two on Wednesday but maybe there were alterations due to the understudy.

Updated On: 7/7/22 at 04:42 AM

Georgeanddot2
#114INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/7/22 at 8:02am

I actually think the whole production could be louder. Just crank the sound up, especially considering how vocal and engaged the audiences are.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#115INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/7/22 at 9:48am

I agree with the volume issues. Crank those mics up!

60'splayoff Profile Photo
60'splayoff
#116INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/7/22 at 1:14pm

I also thought the volume could be pumped. The opening number sounded pretty lackluster from the rear orch on Sat afternoon. Obviously a lot to love about this production but being an Encores transfer, the music is the focus and I want that score sweeping through the St. James!

Updated On: 7/7/22 at 01:14 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#117INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/7/22 at 2:53pm

I think it sounded louder on Broadway, but I could use it bit louder still. It was much too low at Encores.

I will say the original orchestrations are quite small, not my favorite of Tunick’s Sondheim work. The score sounds marvelous in the film with the large and lush orchestrations. 

Updated On: 7/7/22 at 02:53 PM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#118INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/7/22 at 6:45pm

ljay889 said: "I think it sounded louder on Broadway, but I could use it bit louder still. It was much too low at Encores.

I will say the original orchestrations are quite small, not my favorite of Tunick’s Sondheim work. The score sounds marvelous in the film with the large and lush orchestrations.
"

Interesting. I thought the sound mix/volume was great at City Center, and I was seated up in the balcony. Meanwhile, I could barely hear the actors above the orchestra on Broadway from a fairly centered mezz seat for much of the opening (it improved as the show went on and I chalked it up to it being the third preview).

Agree about the movie soundtrack though. The arrangements on that and Sweeney Todd are among the best of all Sondheim recordings, vocal performances aside. I’m glad they released an instrumental version of the ITW soundtrack for exactly that reason.

shari evelyn
#119INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/7/22 at 8:40pm

Was anyone out of tonight’s show (if anyone knows)?

bwayobsessed
#120INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/7/22 at 11:09pm

I was at tonight’s show. Milky white was the only one out.

But WOW. Such a vivacious production of into the woods. I thought everyone was fantastic with Sara and Brian being the standouts at the heart of it all. The music sits so well in both of their voices and they are both so strong in the roles. I like Gavins sorta fabulous impression of his characters—the prince especially had a spoiled brat air to him that was fun. He got a little lost in the lyrics of Any Moment and switched to “la la las” before planting the kiss slightly early, the audience really enjoyed it. The stepmother’s line “when will things return to normal?” seemed particularly noteworthy on this viewing. Really beautiful night of theatre. 

DearTheodosia
#121INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/8/22 at 1:02am

I was there tonight, too, and wondered about Gavin's la la's! I don't know the score well enough, so I wasn't sure it was a mistake, but he did look amused and the audience loved it. He was the highlight of the show comically. The talent of the rest of the cast was just outrageous. I've never seen anything with so much star power in one show, and it felt surreal to see all of these spectacular live performances. I've been reading the comments on this and another board and two things I've heard are the wish for a more elaborate set and also some comments about being underwhelmed by Patina Miller. I disagree on both fronts. I enjoyed the stripped down sets and felt that helped to highlight the puppetry, and Patina Miller's vocals were truly special in the second half. Brian D'Arby James played the humor well and had beautiful vocals, and Phillipe Soo was as lovely as expected. Joshua Henry- what a voice! Sarah Bareilles has such a warm stage presence and her voice has that same warm quality, very unique. The audience was ecstatic. The stage door was also an experience. (No autographs, but each came out and waved.) For me personally, it was the largest crowd I've seen at stage door. This was my first show on my trip, and I feel tempted to cancel the rest and just go to this all week!

Updated On: 7/8/22 at 01:02 AM

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#122INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/8/22 at 2:21am

ColorTheHours048 said: "ljay889 said: "I think it sounded louder on Broadway, but I could use it bit louder still. It was much too low at Encores.

"

Interesting. I thought the sound mix/volume was great at City Center, and I was seated up in the balcony. Meanwhile, I could barely hear the actors above the orchestra on Broadway from a fairly centered mezz seat for much of the opening (it improved as the show went on and I chalked it up to it being the third preview).

Agree about the movie soundtrack though. The arrangements on that and Sweeney Todd are among the best of all Sondheim recordings, vocal performances aside. I’m glad they released an instrumental version of the ITW soundtrack for exactly that reason.
"

I am glad to know that my hearing is in check. I agree that the sound balance was better at City Center which was kind of unusual because City Center has had it’s share of sound issues over the years. They just need to turn the mics  up a bit and the actors need to articulate more. The audience was very verbal and I think the actors and sound people need to be conscious of that when the performers are engaged in the scene work.

When Heather sang Last Midnight at City Center she swooped up the stairs almost as if she was flying during the swell in the music. Patina did the same blocking but it was at a different time and it was unmotivated. I also loved when Heather appeared as the attractive witch and she was giggling and running her hands all over her body.

The narrator got a little lost this time around and the three repetitive entrances were not as amusing. It seemed to be a timing issue like he needed to wait a hair longer before entering because there was still some verbal audience reaction going on. The actor also tends to look down too much.

I really don’t like (when I sit-up high) looking at tape marks on the stage. I know why they are there,  but I wonder if there are other tricks that can be done to make them less noticeable. I also wondered about some forrest type lighting that could have been used on the stage once in a while. I also thought the stage floor could have been painted a more interesting color.

Updated On: 7/8/22 at 02:21 AM

bwayobsessed
#123INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/8/22 at 8:15am

I agree I liked the minimal sets but think especially from the balcony the floor needed just a little texture. Maybe something in the blue/green world.

The costumes were excellent I thought tho something about Cinderella’s ballgown didn’t sit right for me…it looked like candy corn. Tho I loved how Phillips acted with it-slinging it over her shoulder, etc.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#124INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/8/22 at 10:09am

The point of the tape on the stage is that they are noticeable to the cast and crew, especially in the dark. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos