pixeltracker

ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 5

ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#100ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/20/22 at 11:05am

It appears they were doing some kind of promo thing yesterday in the lobby, so I'd assume that's why the doors were taped off.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 10/20/22 at 11:05 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#101ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/20/22 at 4:38pm

I was there last nite. The only 2 understudies were for minor roles.

It’s a totally solid, enjoyable musical! Middle to end of act 1 drags a bit, but it’s a good show. It would be an easy rec for audiences of all ages.

It’s got a couple of nice songs for Solea, who is so magnetic as Penny Lane, though certainly not the “star is born” performance that her agents are pitching this to be. Not much for the mother to do, which should be a plum role. Casey Likes is just okay — he’s no Casey Love. Killer band & guitar parts.

My main issue with the show is that it’s uniformly GOOD, but rarely GREAT. It’s a “should-see” but not a “must-see.” Reminded me a lot of A BRONX TALE or BONNIE & CLYDE or SISTER ACT: a decently good time and the type of show we’ll see at Encores in 30 years. (Musically quite different than those comparisons of course.) Maaaaybe it can run a year and then tour like Bronx Tale if it can attract a suburban audience, but I don’t know.

Updated On: 10/20/22 at 04:38 PM

Jimmyb1969
#102ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/20/22 at 10:06pm

Snooze fest - all of it -  Penny Lane is just dreadful no elan or sex appeal - Rob Colletti “acting” for two hours ouch! Drew’s talent is completely wasted and he’s miscast. And the groupies - Dare I say cheesy? I could go on and on - but why bother? The musical is a snore. Tom Kitt’s score is forgettable and frankly interspersed with the rock songs just shines a stronger light on its dullness - And it’s unforgivable to have such terrible audio and major sound issues especially in a show about rock and roll. 

Updated On: 10/28/22 at 10:06 PM

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#103ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/20/22 at 11:49pm

I’ve seen this and although I didn’t love it I have to disagree with Jimmyb1969 about the cast. I think the show is perfectly cast. The score is flawlessly sung and everyone has really captured the essence of the era and their parts. The script lets them down but they are delivering with what they are given. It’s not necessarily a show I would recommend but it’s unfair  to say the cast is terrible. 

TamzBway
#104ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/21/22 at 10:06am

Has anyone tried lotto or rush lately? Seat locations? Thanks so much!

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#105ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/21/22 at 10:09am

TamzBway said: "Has anyone tried lotto or rush lately? Seat locations? Thanks so much!"

For whatever reason, there was no lotto available today. Guess I’m going to have to get up and rush it tomorrow! So I’ll let you know.

Tjlovesmusicals
#106ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/21/22 at 12:37pm

TamzBway said: "Has anyone tried lotto or rush lately? Seat locations? Thanks so much!"

Rushed on Saturday! Was offered full or partial view, I took full view front side mezz! Really good seats for the price!

Jarethan
#107ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/21/22 at 3:53pm

I saw this yesterday afternoon.  I enjoyed the first act and the second half of the second act.  Thought the first half of Act 2 dragged a lot.  I don't regret seeing it -- as a Thursday afternoon performance, I didn't see this instead of anything -- but felt that I would not have been happy if I had driven in from NJ (where I once lived), paid $15 for the tunnel, endured the horrible traffic, paid another $50 for parking, etc.  It just wasn't good enough.

What was good?  The performances of the 4 leads were all very strong.  Anika Larsen made me remember Frances MacDormand...in a good way.  Don't have my playbill in front of me, so I will simply say that the young man in the lead was TERRIFIC...lots of charisma, great voice, good at comedy.  CAST HIM AS MARTY McFLY ASAP.  The performers who played Russell and Penny were also very good, as was most of the cast, although I did not love Drew Gehling's performance...he just didn't seem right for the role.  I kept on seeing Dr. Pomater and Dave.  Maybe he was just a tad too old.

I thought that several of the new songs were good, including the opening number, one sung by Penny and one sang by the mother, but a lot of the others made no impression.

So, it definitely was not bad -- I have seen a lot of bad and very bad musicals - it just isn't exciting enough.  Ultimately, I think the music let it down, because I thought the book was solid. 

Saw both Tom Kitt and Cameron Crowe in the audience.  Crowe seemed to know an awful lot of the attendees.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#108ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/27/22 at 1:43pm

The company will perform from the show this Tuesday on The Tonight Show, with Jimmy Fallon.

Cameron Crowe will also be a guest that night.

Oh look, a bibu!

delanemb
#109ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 3:13pm

How was the rush experience? How were the partial view seats?

TamzBway
#110ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 5:31pm

I didn't end up going after all these mixed reviews. I chose Kimberly akimbo and I'm glad I did. It's a fantastic new mucosal!

rachelfran
#111ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 12:01pm

I played lottery yesterday for today's matinee and "won" mezzanine G side. I'm not happy with the location of the seat and wonder if they will trade for a better location?  It's not sold out.

Square Peg2
#112ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 12:49pm

I saw the show last weekend. I had low expectations because the movie is so magical and I'm generally cynical about movie to stage musical adaptations. I'd say overall it exceeded my low expectations. I enjoyed it. The whole cast was really good. I don't know that I could confidently say anyone was great. Drew Gehling came the closest because he's just such a detailed and charismatic actor. The voices of the cast were outstanding, but the actors in the film have such uniqueness and nuanced performances, and I didn't feel anyone onstage came close to that. I enjoyed Anika, Solea and the actors playing the young lead and Russell. Not blown away, definitely had fun and would recommend to non theatre lovers as a good night out.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#113ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 2:28pm

Everybody is so good, Chris looks so much like Billy with the hair and blue shirt, especially his profile. Last night not a single cell phone went off or was taken out. It's just a great time. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#114ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 2:48pm

ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews ThreadALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews ThreadALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews ThreadALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread

Oh look, a bibu!

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#115ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 11:19pm

Dupe delete

Updated On: 10/29/22 at 11:19 PM

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#116ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 11:22pm

Saw this Monday night. LOVED IT. They do such a great job adapting that pretty long movie (a favorite of mine since 2000) as well as including stuff that didn't make it to the movie. I admit it- it made me cry. And it was neat seeing Cameron Crowe in the audience, rockin' al9ng with everyone else.

If I had any criticism, I think the William I saw was a swing, and he seemed slightly uneasy. But, he was good enough. I know the real life Crowe was a nerd, but in the movie he's "nerdy/cute-ish" Anyone know if this is the case with the regular actor? Just curious. The dude who plays Russell is hot as fuuuuck. Just dreamy.

My other minor criticism is- as much as I'm not a huge fan of Jukebox musicals, two of the BIG highlights were Led Zeppelin's Ramble On, and of course Tiny Dancer. *Maybe* one or two more real life hits wouldn't got the audience rockin' even more. 

Loved it!

Updated On: 10/29/22 at 11:22 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#117ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 12:04am

Chris Wood was out of both shows today.

rachelfran
#118ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 12:34pm

rachelfran said: "I played lottery yesterday for today's matinee and "won" mezzanine G side. I'm not happy with the location of the seat and wonder if they will trade for a better location? It's not sold out."

FYI the box office offered to upgrade at a surcharge and moved me to the same seat 20 but row E in the orchestra.... Much closer and I think the only thing I couldn't see was the left side elevated platform.  I think Penny starts one of her songs there.

I found it overall enjoyable but way too long.  Chris Wood was out and his sub, Van Hughes, had no chemistry with penny and wasn't handsome enough as the script seems to need him to be.  I really enjoyed Casey Likes.  He was terrific throughout and his songs were great.  His mom was no frances mcdormand but i liked her songs too.  I wasn't a huge fan of the original group numbers - they felt a little high school to me and the wigs were terrible.  Maybe because I was so close, I found them so distracting. Simple Man, Tiny Dancer, River -- easily stood out among the rest, imo.   It made me want to see the movie again.

Updated On: 10/30/22 at 12:34 PM

rachelfran
#119ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 12:38pm

rachelfran said: "I played lottery yesterday for today's matinee and "won" mezzanine G side. I'm not happy with the location of the seat and wonder if they will trade for a better location? It's not sold out."

FYI the box office offered to upgrade at a surcharge and moved me to the same seat 20 but row E in the orchestra.... Much closer and I think the only thing I couldn't see was the left side elevated platform.  I think Penny starts one of her songs there.

I found it overall enjoyable but way too long.  Chris Wood was out and his sub, Van Hughes, had no chemistry with penny and wasn't handsome enough as the script seems to need him to be.  I really enjoyed Casey Likes.  He was terrific throughout and his songs were great.  His mom was no frances mcdormand but i liked her songs too.  I wasn't a huge fan of the original group numbers - they felt a little high school to me and the wigs were terrible.  Maybe because I was so close, I found them so distracting. Simple Man, Tiny Dancer, River -- easily stood out among the rest, imo.   It made me want to see the movie again.

Sutton Ross
#120ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 1:37pm

When I saw it on Friday night, Chris seemed to be struggling slightly with the higher notes and at the end (Feverdog) he stood way in the back, bowed, but left the stage quickly and didn't look good. Perhaps he wanted to rest up before opening (is that today?).

I don't think Van has ever went on for him but there's a reason they put Chris and Solea together. The chemistry is off the charts hot, just like the two of them. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#121ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 1:40pm

Sutton Ross said: "When I saw it on Friday night, Chris seemed to be struggling slightly with the higher notes and at the end (Feverdog) he stood way in the back, bowed, but left the stage quickly and didn't look good. Perhaps he wanted to rest up before opening (is that today?).

I don't think Van has ever went on for him but there's a reason they put Chris and Solea together. The chemistry is off the charts hot, just like the two of them.
"

Opening night is this Thursday, November 3.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sutton Ross
#122ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 1:44pm

Thanks, I'm glad they have today and tomorrow off. They went like nine days straight I think. 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#123ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 6:03pm

I really had no interest because I HATED the movie, but I went last night and it was actually pretty fun. The theater was full, it was Velvet Goldmine meets Hair meets Rock of Ages. A fun time, that's all. Great talent on stage.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#124ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 11/2/22 at 1:13am

The company performed "Tiny Dancer" tonight on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon:

Oh look, a bibu!

Videos