pixeltracker

HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews- Page 5

HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#100HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 8:43pm

The only people I’ve seen talking about the show with any kind of positivity on social media are friends of the creatives. But it’s often the faintest, most generic praise they can muster and feels more like friends supporting friends than any kind of genuine enthusiasm for the show.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#101HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 9:13pm

EricMontreal22 said: "I knew Hal Prince was connected a year before he passed away, but the prominence of his name on at least one of the posters for this did surprise me. (Of course, even though I consider myself a huge fan, I snarkily wonder if it would have been a better final original musical to remember him by than the disastrous Paradise Found...)"

I still wish we could have seen his BAND'S VISIT, and I wonder how different it would have been from the Cromer production.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#102HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 9:32pm

Their freeze day is December 5, and I'm seeing this one soon so I'll def post my thoughts here. 

Oh look, a bibu!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#103HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/30/23 at 4:55pm

I'm selling a ticket for this Sunday, December 3, at 2 p.m. Orchestra F 9, $45, paid $59, and I have the PDF to forward. Venmo or Zelle is preferred, but PayPal and Apple Pay Cash are fine, as well. You can get my phone number from my theatr app listing if you'd like to text me, or feel free to message me on here.

Updated On: 11/30/23 at 04:55 PM

Mbossman32
#104HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/30/23 at 11:24pm

I saw the show tonight and found it beautiful and moving. A show about real people with real issues. Performances were generally excellent. 10x better than the upper middle class bullsh*t of Merrily. 

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#105HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/30/23 at 11:40pm

Mbossman32 said: "I saw the show tonight and found it beautiful and moving. A show about real people with real issues. Performances were generally excellent. 10x better than the upper middle class bullsh*t of Merrily."

The shills are out in force for this one.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Mbossman32
#106HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/30/23 at 11:56pm

songanddanceman2 said: "Mbossman32 said: "I saw the show tonight and found it beautiful and moving. A show about real people with real issues. Performances were generally excellent. 10x better than the upper middle class bullsh*t of Merrily."

The shills are out in force for this one.
"

No shill here. Longtime lurker on this board who just wanted to say I enjoyed the show.  Try not to be such a bitter queen. It’s not a good look on you. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#107HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:02am

Mbossman32 said: "I saw the show tonight and found it beautiful and moving. A show about real people with real issues. Performances were generally excellent. 10x better than the upper middle class bullsh*t of Merrily."

big yikes, Ohio isn't nearly as bad as some people on this board felt it was, but this is a really absurd statement that it was 10x better then Merrily 

Mbossman32
#108HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:12am

For me. Just my opinion. Merrily is relatable for the bubble of theater goers in NYC and that’s about it. It’s about and for people like them. It has nothing to say about people in the rest of the country or the world. That’s not interesting to me. Sorry. 

Pro-1686404964
#109HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:13am

It really is a beautiful show.  The last beat is the most understated and touching payoff.  That said, I really loved Merrily - very different and hits me in completely different places. Even that improved dramatically with the move from downtown.  As far as Ohio goes - it has gotten better and better.  It really does take time for a new show to find itself.  I get that previews are fair game - but the month before opening is a textbook example of how valuable the four weeks can be! Would love to hear from others who saw it early in previews and have gone back to see how it has evolved. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#110HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:20am

Mbossman32 said: "For me. Just my opinion. Merrily is relatable for the bubble of theater goers in NYC and that’s about it. It’s about and for people like them. It has nothing to say about people in the rest of the country or the world. That’s not interesting to me. Sorry."

my god go vote for trump again

Mbossman32
#111HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:27am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Mbossman32 said: "For me. Just my opinion. Merrily is relatable for the bubble of theater goers in NYC and that’s about it. It’s about and for people like them. It has nothing to say about people in the rest of the country or the world. That’s not interesting to me. Sorry."

"

Didn’t vote for Trump. Never would. It’s just so funny the amount of crap you get when you express an opinion doesn’t conform with the hive mind. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#112HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:36am

Mbossman32 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Mbossman32 said: "For me. Just my opinion. Merrily is relatable for the bubble of theater goers in NYC and that’s about it. It’s about and for people like them. It has nothing to say about people in the rest of the country or the world. That’s not interesting to me. Sorry."

"

Didn’t vote for Trump. Never would. It’s just so funny the amount of crap you get when you express an opinion doesn’t conform with the hive mind.
"

Sure you didn't you just repeat republican buzzwords like hive mind and nyc bubble by coincidence 

Mbossman32
#113HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:46am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Mbossman32 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Mbossman32 said: "For me. Just my opinion. Merrily is relatable for the bubble of theater goers in NYC and that’s about it. It’s about and for people like them. It has nothing to say about people in the rest of the country or the world. That’s not interesting to me. Sorry."

"

"

Sure you didn't you just repeat republican buzzwords like hive mind and nyc bubble by coincidence
"

One my favorite shows is A Strange Loop because it too was not telling a story from the upper middle class bubble (although very NYC-centric). Not exactly a republican show. But you’re a simpleton that only sees things in black and white, republican versus democrat, etc so there’s no use arguing with you. Have a nice life. 

Pro-1686404964
#114HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:46am

its ok to have different opinions. like the show, don't like the show, these are all first world problems.  We all love theater and Broadway needs more patrons and this forum can help build a bigger tent for everyone imo.  

BoringBoredBoard40
#115HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:48am

Mbossman32 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Mbossman32 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Mbossman32 said: "For me. Just my opinion. Merrily is relatable for the bubble of theater goers in NYC and that’s about it. It’s about and for people like them. It has nothing to say about people in the rest of the country or the world. That’s not interesting to me. Sorry."

my god go vote for trump again"

Didn’t vote for Trump. Never would. It’s just so funny the amount of crap you get when you express an opinion doesn’t conform with the hive mind."

Sure you didn't you just repeat republican buzzwords like hive mind and nyc bubble by coincidence"

One my favorite shows is A Strange Loop because it too was not telling a story from the upper middle class bubble (although very NYC-centric). Not exactly a republican show. But you’re a simpleton that only sees things in black and white, republican versus democrat, etc so there’s no use arguing with you. Have a nice life."

Yep a simpleton with a four year college degree, keep going my guy you truly are winning lol 

JaglinSays
#116HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:53am

Mbossman32 said: "songanddanceman2 said: "Mbossman32 said: 

No shill here. Longtime lurker on this board who just wanted to say I enjoyed the show. Try not to be such a bitter queen. It’s not a good look on you.
"

Ummmm, you’re a “longtime lurker” and yet you happened to join yesterday?!

SHILLLLLLLLL

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#117HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 8:21am

The reason your Merrily comment is getting pounced on isn't because you didn't like it (Although I don't know if youve seen it) but because it ISN'T only for NY Bubble types. It's not about theater/hollywood/living in NY. Are the characters involved in that? Sure, but it's about friendships/integrity/dreams.

But yes, I find the shills on THIS show to be out in full force.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

OhHiii
#118HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 9:18am

Shills aside (because there are clearly a few in here that are doing zero favors for the show), y’all are acting like complete toddlers. Sometimes stepping away from the keyboard is a good thing! Try it some time. Begging you.

JasonC3
#119HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 9:23am

Mbossman32 said: "For me. Just my opinion. Merrily is relatable for the bubble of theater goers in NYC and that’s about it. It’s about and for people like them. It has nothing to say about people in the rest of the country or the world. That’s not interesting to me. Sorry."

LMAO.  Ah yes.  The story of pursuing one's dreams, making choices as a creative, and maintaining relationships as we change personally and professionally really is so unique to the NYC bubble of theatergoers [sarcasm]. 

Anyone who believes this might be surprised then to see it is regularly produced throughout the United States and in other countries, professionally and at the high school and college levels.  https://www.mtishows.com/maprefresh/749

Updated On: 12/1/23 at 09:23 AM

OhHiii
#120HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:20pm

This is the How To Dance In Ohio thread....right? Or....

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#121HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 12:43pm

Got to attend last night and I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I wasn’t counting the minutes to intermission. I was invested. Some catchy songs, some filler songs. 

Having a nephew with autism, maybe it hit me differently than many others. By the end of the snow, I was in my feels and I shed a tear or two. I saw others doing the same (the women in front of me was a teacher and has a grandson with autism, so she was particularly affected as well).

I appreciate what they’re doing and the cast was great. Sometimes theater fans are the worst enemy of the theater. I really hope this show finds an audience because it already has a lot working against it.

I look forward to making a return trip with my mom and sister.

BoringBoredBoard40
#122HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/1/23 at 11:46pm

Went back again tonight.

While the show still seems like it doesn't quiet reach its maximum potential, it is absolutely in stronger shape then when it started previews

Started at 8:06 we were on the street at 10:25

I was pleasently surprised to see the set design has undergone one major change, where as the grid used to future a variety of random stop signs and ohio iconography it has been replaced with images of footstep dance instructions similar to what has been seen in the marketing material.

Two songs in the first act have been cut or rearranged, an entire monologue in act one has been moved to act two along with some other book moments that have somewhat shifted in tone 

I will give credit where it is due the team behind this show is trying to put in work to improv it through previews

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#123HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/2/23 at 9:20am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Two songs in the first act have been cut or rearranged, an entire monologue in act one has been moved to act two along with some other book moments that have somewhat shifted in tone

I will give credit where it is due the team behind this show is trying to put in work to improv it through previews
"

Precisely. Although, large development picture: I'm surprised this didn't have another closed doors development workshop pre-Bway/post-Syracuse especially considering how short their initially OOT run was cut due to COVID. Perhaps money? I'm always wary when major cuts are happening right against the clock of the freeze date. But I'll be back to catch this post opening.

I can't remember what else P3 has done before this to compare track record, but I know they also plan on bringing in Gun & Powder, so most of their development allocations may be focused towards that?

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

thedrybandit
#124HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 12/2/23 at 12:27pm

I caught the 8th preview and thoroughly enjoyed it. At that point it definitely needed some work, but it sounds like they're doing a great job getting that work done at the moment. Looking forward to going back after the holidays!

Videos