pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 59

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1450Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:02pm

I’m confused at how a Sondheim vet could not have played a role on Broadway unless they are British or something? Or if Audra is considered a Sondheim vet? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1451Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:05pm

The first name to come to mind is Carolee Carmello, who’s done a number of Sondheim productions - including Sweeney- but never on Broadway. But she doesn’t seem right for this production. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1452Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:07pm

FolliesCabaret said: "From what I've heard, the new Lovett is a Sondheim vet but this will be her first time doing Sondheim on Broadway. Very, very excited if it's true."

There's a lot of Sondheim vets out there who have never done his work on Broadway. Audra fits that description, as do Sutton Foster, Hannah Waddingham, Imelda Staunton, Maria Friedman, and Christine Baranski. Among others.

I think Foster (rumored above) could be excellent if the timing worked out right. MATTRESS is currently Jan 24-Feb 4 and it seems that that production is being built around her, so perhaps her start date would be a month after AA & JG leave. It would be funny if Encores moved TWO shows in consecutive years because of ladies starring in SWEENEY on Broadway (Ruthie/Piazza).

Tveit is a disastrous idea imho.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#1453Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:10pm

Just give us Cyndi Lauper already. I was thinking its Carolee also but she seems wrong for it 

Updated On: 10/19/23 at 01:10 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#1454Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:13pm

Anyone saying sales for Audra McDonald in a musical would be "abysmal" is truly delusional. Nobody cares when she's in a play. Everyone in the world cares when she's in a musical because singing is her greatest gift and is one of the best in the world. I hope they pick two people of color in the starring roles this time around. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1455Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:16pm

McDonald would be tremendous, but would she want her first musical role in 7 years to be a replacement? 

For Sweeney, however, I would love to see Joshua Henry. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1456Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway

If they alternate theatre names like Woods did, I’d love to see Norm reprise Todd at some point. 

Oh look, a bibu!

FolliesCabaret Profile Photo
FolliesCabaret
#1457Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway

binau said: "I’m confused at how a Sondheim vet could not have played a role on Broadway unless they are British or something? Or if Audra is considered a Sondheim vet?"

She's done Sondheim to great acclaim in New York and California, but never on Broadway. Yet.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#1458Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:21pm

For Sweeney, however, I would love to see Joshua Henry.

That would be stunningly perfect casting. Wow, great call. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1459Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:26pm

I kind of feel like to be a Sondheim vet you needed to be in one of those red dresses in the 2010 concert Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway, but perhaps the group can't be so exclusive. 

Sutton Foster has done Into the Woods at the Hollywood Bowl and Anyone Can Whistle at Encores! though, and someone in the grosses said it was Sutton. She's as big as name as you might expect at this stage. Could it be her?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1460Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:32pm

Setting aside my opinion that Sutton is not right for the role, the logistics of her doing Sweeney and Once Upon a Mattress would make it hard without either Encores shifting the production dates or her starting once Mattress is done. Neither is impossible but I’m not sure how likely either is. She would be essentially preparing and/or rehearsing and/or performing for two lead roles at the same time. 

StylishCynic
#1461Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:43pm

I, for one, would LOVE to see Jane Krakowski.

She can balance the sexual vibrance that Ashford brought to the interpretation with the overall tone of this production very well.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1462Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:44pm

You're right RE: Sutton. That's tricky. Would love to see Victoria Clark but I guess she's still tied to Akimbo. Bernadette is in Old Friends so wouldn't be able to rehearse (unless Lea hands over "Worst Pies" "My Friends" and "Little Priest" to Bernadette - PLEASE)...in addition to maybe being a bit, well too Old.

THIS IS HARD.

Updated On: 10/19/23 at 01:44 PM

A Justified Bean Profile Photo
A Justified Bean
#1463Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:50pm

Would it be ridiculous to hope for Hannah Waddingham?  She was in Into the Woods, but I don't know if one production makes her a 'vet'.

The slotted spoon can catch the potato.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#1464Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:50pm

Could it be Amy Adam’s? 

MezzA101
#1465Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:52pm

The only headline is that for now the final performance on sale is 01/14, the leads are leaving, and they hope to continue with actors not yet signed.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1466Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:55pm

A Justified Bean said: "Would it be ridiculous to hope for Hannah Waddingham? She was in Into the Woods, but I don't know if one production makes her a 'vet'."

Take with a grain of salt but someone claimed here a few weeks back that Waddingham had been offered Lovett and declined. Add her to the long list of Lovetts I'd like to see someday.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1467Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:57pm

https://x.com/sweeneytoddbway/status/1715042371119771662?s=42&t=yZrNJIR0n2vvoZa59M6Eyg

the duo is lined up. 

The vet description fits Audra more than anyone else, but Waddingham would be a brilliant choice. Her Desiree in Nunn’s Night Music received smashing reviews. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1468Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 1:58pm

MezzA101 said: "The only headline is that for now the final performance on sale is 01/14, the leads are leaving, and they hope to continue with actors not yet signed."

I suppose you can read it that way, but the official announcement is that the show IS extending, and that casting information will be announced shortly, which doesn't sound like a "we hope to continue" situation. Plus, look at the link in the post above this.

Also, we've known about Groban's departure date for months, so that's barely a headline. The real buzz is that the show is extending with new leads.

Updated On: 10/19/23 at 01:58 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1469Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 2:03pm

RE: whether Audra would be a replacement, I think when it comes to this role and this show on Broadway yes she would. At her age, it would likely be her last chance to place the role on Broadway. I think this is why Bernadette also did "Night Music" and "Hello, Dolly'. Ego aside, would you really turn down those roles if you know it's your last chance to play them on Broadway? 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1470Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 2:18pm

Has Audra played a comedic role since Carrie Pipperidge?

I'm not doubting that she could pull off Lovett, but it would be a big departure from what we've seen her do up to this point, vocally, comedically, acting-wise, etc. Annaleigh brought so much humor to this role (naysayers might say to the detriment of the show).

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#1471Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 2:22pm

I'm excited to hear the replacements and also excited that the show is trying to continue. I didn't love the emerging trends of revivals closing when a big name star leaves.

BCfitasafiddle
#1472Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 2:24pm

Waddingham would be perfect. 

Audra obviously would be brilliant, but I don't know if I truly want her as Lovett. Her Beggar Woman in the LC Concert was so beautiful. 

As for Sweeney's... RAUL. RAUL. RAUL.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1473Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 2:28pm

If there is one person that could get me back to New York it might be Raul Esparza. That voice on this score, WOWWWW. It's a tragedy he hasn't already played the role on Broadway. 

Ernest_Shackleton
#1474Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/19/23 at 2:30pm

For Sweeney I would love to see Nik Christopher get it full time, but if not, my wild card pick is I would commit federal crimes to see Patrick Page's Sweeney.

Videos