pixeltracker

Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread- Page 6

Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#125Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/25/15 at 11:55pm

He finally made it! Yay! I've been waiting since it opened on Broadway for JCM and here he is. He was worth the wait. I'm an old school fan... And I'm just old. I've seen the show several times at the Jane, mostly with him, so my love for the character was rooted in JCM's performance. I just love her. I find her so endearing.

I can't add much. He is Hedwig-no one even compares. I was at his first show. The crowd was insane. It was such an emotional experience to be in a room full of fans who love the show as much as I do. I was either laughing or crying or jumping to my feet and cheering. It was a night I will never forget.

I went back on Saturday and the crowd was much more subdued. It was still exciting, but nowhere near the levels of that first night. It was his first weekend, so I expected a bit more (from the crowd, not from him). Anyway, heading out I spotted Stephen Trask. I couldn't believe that people were just passing him by. I've spoken to him before, but I had to stop to express my gratitude for the years of happiness and joy he's given us. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. He was super kind and signed my boyfriend's playbill.

My Hedweek is over and I just want to go back!

Updated On: 1/26/15 at 11:55 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#126Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 12:05am

I bought a (crappy) ticket for his final show in the back of the orchestra because I wanted to be safe instead of sorry. The premium seats for his last show are $350 which is just simply out of my price range. Still have my fingers crossed that he will extend. What a legendary performance. Dream come true.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#127Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 1:07am

Premium was $250 when he was first announced. Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#128Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 1:42am

I am a newer fan to Hedwig, but I have fallen in love with this show. There are aspects in the story that I find I can connect to on a personal level. When I came back to the city for school, it was Neil's last week and I entered, and lost, the lotto at every performance until his last show where I miraculousy won! I also was lucky enough to see Michael. They both were incredible in the role, and I enjoyed each performance.

This Saturday my friend won the lotto and we went to the 7:00 performance. WOW. I felt like I was seeing Hedwig for the first time. First off, the show was completely sold out, and it even looked like they sold more standing room spots than they had. The audience was electric. The energy the audience was giving off helped make the show and Hedwig and Yitzhak gave so much energy back. I won't give away a lot, but there are definitely some wonderful and funy script changes, whether planned or as libbed I don't know, but it made it so fresh. I also noticed the stronger connection between Hedwig and Yitzhak and I loved it. Lena is keeping it very fresh, it seems like she reaches for a higher note in "Midnight Radio" every time I see it. It was also the first time the audience hasn't tentatively put up their hands at the end, like has happened at my past performances I've attended. This will definitely go down as one of the most memorable and exciting theatre experiences I've had. It was also the first time I have been moved to tears by Hedwig. So congrats to all and I really hope I can see it again before he leaves!

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#129Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 10:41am

We were supposed to go to NYC on Saturday AM. Snow fears moved our trip up to Friday afternoon. Got to midtown hotel at 7:35PM, got to TKTX (en route to box office, if need be) at 7:55PM. No lines, of course, and got Row F in the middle for under $80 each, for our 5th Hedwig on B'way (but first with JCM, of course). 2 seats to our right were empty.

We have tix for middle of next month, but are very glad to have seen JCM so early in his run!

Never been to a show on B'way before that was interrupted by standing ovations so often.

Show was over before we knew it, we got decent places to stand at the barricades. Lena came out quickly and was very nice. I got a lengthy, gushing response to "what's it like working with John". JCM came out later after we were told he wouldn't be signing anything. He was swaddled in scarfs and a hoodie, and motioned to his throat that he wouldn't be talking. Posed for lots of pictures, and he had a basket full of rolls of Necco Wafers and Sugar Daddy candies, all with a heart drawn on them with JCM inside the heart that he passed out to everyone outside.

Can't wait to see him again.

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#130Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:28am

I saw JCM in this last week and if you can get a ticket I HIGHLY recommend you do so. (If you can't, you can watch the Lincoln Center Archive of him doing it at Jane Street for free. It is a surprisingly high def video.)
He is just an exquisite story teller, comedian/enne, and knows how to work a crowd. So grateful I got to see him do this live finally.

Updated On: 1/26/15 at 11:28 AM

TotallyEffed
#131Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 1:29pm

I know, haterobics, but even $250 is steep for me. I felt like the producers were hinting at an extension and I can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars for what might be his last show. Still, I didn't want to be devastated so I'm happy I bought the orchestra seat.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#132Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 1:37pm

Yeah, I figure I'm covered either way, since Telecharge is typically cool about exchanges, so if they move out the closing show, I'll just buy another ticket for that one and cancel the current one. Works out well, too, since a comedian I like is playing Carnegie Hall on his current closing night, so I'll just switch gears.

Of course, if they extend, the premium will not be $250 the next time. Ugh.

"If you can't, you can watch the Lincoln Center Archive of him doing it at Jane Street for free. It is a surprisingly high def video."

Since you would also have to some to NYC to do that, it seems like you could see him do Hedwig live at that point.

TotallyEffed
#133Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 1:44pm

Good point about the ticket exchanges! Should have thought of that myself.

I honestly feel bad for anyone who misses this run.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#134Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 1:52pm

I do sort of wish this were selling out a lot more, since it is weird knowing this is happening 7x a week, and I can be there. I'd prefer a lack of ticket availability and not having $450 for premium tickets to sort of reign in my desires in this regard.

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#135Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 2:01pm

I can’t stop thinking about the two incredible performances I saw this weekend. Some other thoughts/details I neglected to include in my first post:

I adore the changed Hedwig/Yitzhak relationship. I don’t think any of Hedwig’s usual jabs are missing, but John is delivering them in a way that just isn’t quite as mean-spirited as they have been in the past. More importantly, though, are all the added sweet moments between the two of them: gentle touches, loving glances… I noticed Hedwig calling Yitzhak “honey” a few times, and at one point said to the audience, “He’s cute, right?” Their relationship seems more sexual now, too. And John asks Lena for help on occasion (asks to bring over his drink, deal with the mic cord, etc.), which also made Hedwig and Yitzhak feel more like a team to me. Essentially, they just seem more like a real couple than they usually do. It added a lot to both characters for me, and brought a new dimension to several key moments. I really felt for Yitzhak sitting in the background watching as Hedwig tells us all about the REAL love of her life, which in turn made the moment when he spits on Hedwig feel a little more earned. The last 20 minutes of the show, in fact, all felt more poignant to me in part because of their changed dynamic.

John’s entrance got a standing ovation during the 10:00 show on Friday, but not the 7:00 on Saturday. I hope it continues to happen at least sometimes throughout the run. As others have mentioned, the 10:00 Friday show had a lot of empty seats. I was in the center mezz, which was almost full, but the side mezz sections were pretty empty. I’m hoping it’s just because many people weren’t yet aware that the late shows are back. The 7:00 show on Saturday was sold out, which I was thrilled to see.

At the stage door on Friday night we were told John would not be coming out, but he emerged relatively quickly to distribute signed candy. He was indeed not speaking or signing anything, but was very sweet, and the crowd was so happy to be near him. I too saw Stephen Trask at the back of the theater after the 7:00 show on Saturday and he kindly signed my Playbill.

It was just a magical weekend. Already planning my next trip for Valentine’s Day....

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#137Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 5:13pm

You know they're doing all right...

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#138Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 5:24pm

I just got email with discount til 3/7. Just wanted to tell everyone that if you are trying to buy tickets for 10pm shows on telecharge, you need to put the date you wanna go (if you put range of dates then only early shows come up). I don't know why that happens but thats why I couldn't see any late show availability

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#139Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 5:24pm

That is great news! I hope JCM extends. Now, how about getting Trask on stage? Or, as Hedwig would put it, who do we have to blow to get Trask to perform?

Updated On: 1/26/15 at 05:24 PM

bfreak
#140Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 6:11pm

John must be on vocal rest if he wasn't speaking after the show but was still very kind.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#141Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 6:12pm

"Or, as Hedwig would put it, who do we have to blow to get Trask to perform?"

Trask, I'd imagine.

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#142Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 6:17pm

Or Justin, to call in sick.

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#143Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 6:17pm

Can you share the discount code?

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#144Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/26/15 at 8:02pm

HIPBX1 20

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#145Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/27/15 at 10:23pm

Just came back from seeing this.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANYONE ON BROADWAYWORLD MISS JOHN CAMERON MITCHELL'S PERFORMANCE IN THIS PRODUCTION.

Please. Get a ticket and see this.

Fly to New York if you live elsewhere.

Do not miss this.

You will thank me for urging you.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#146Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/27/15 at 10:39pm

"Fly to New York if you live elsewhere."

We did just that and I don't regret it at all ... We flew in Saturday morning, drove straight from the airport to the Neil Simon and saw the matinee of The Last Ship with Sting on its last day, checked into our hotel, saw Disgraced at 8 pm, and walked 1 block to the Belasco to see Hedwig at 10 pm. We had dinner at Buddakan at midnight and flew home Sunday morning ... what a memorable day!

It turns out that the guys sitting in front of us at Hedwig live about 5 miles away from us .... across the country from NYC and they flew in just to see Hedwig as well :o)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#147Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/27/15 at 10:41pm

"It turns out that the guys sitting in front of us at Hedwig live about 5 miles away from us .... across the country from NYC and they flew in just to see Hedwig as well :o)"

You need to become friends with them. They have their priorities in order.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#148Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/27/15 at 11:14pm

I'm happy for you and I'm happy for them--and I'm happy for everyone who gets a chance to see him in this role.

I'm still in a transported state from it.

JoshLovesRent Profile Photo
JoshLovesRent
#149Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/27/15 at 11:29pm

Just got home from seeing JCM. and I came to confirm what a lot of people have said on this board. I didn't see JCM tonight, instead I saw Hedwig tell her life's journey at the Belasco Theatre. JCM was so effortless , and emotionally connected. I hung on every word, and laughed and cried like I had never seen the show before, despite that I've now seen all 4 Hedwigs. I will definitely be saving my $$$ to buy the premium seats before his run is over.

Videos