News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Living on Love!

LarryD2
#125Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:22am

This show won't be around long enough to receive any "summer traffic". Second-lowest gross this week (~$200,000) with an average paid ticket of $34 is not a great place to be. The reviews will sink this show and it'll be gone by Mother's Day. The writing is on the wall.

ebontoyan
#126Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:28am

Hopefully it won't close too soon I have tix for end of May!!!!

evic
#127Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:29am

Living on Life Support........if Chita can't sell tickets to her incredible show, how the hell is Renee gonna sell tickets to her lame attempt at comedy?  

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#128Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/14/15 at 11:14am

When it plays the hinterlands it can truthfully say "Direct From Broadway" no matter how long it played.

Poster Emeritus

Jarethan
#129Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:00pm

I am still amazed that someone invested in this one...what were they thinking?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#130Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:23pm

"I am still amazed that someone invested in this one...what were they thinking?"

That Renee Fleming would sell tickets.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#131Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 1:58pm

Saw this show the other night and have pretty much nothing good to say. People have commented about the plot being thin and needing cuts. I wholly agree with that since everything felt like the same thing being repeated endlessly. I only needed to hear the same lines two or three times - not twenty. The jokes are unfunny. All of the "industry" jokes are there to make the audience seem intelligent by laughing at jokes about opera. The only thing they made me do was roll my eyes.

In terms of the actors, I thought Jerry O'Connell came off the best. Douglas Sills was way too over the top and seemed like a bad Steve Martin impersonation. Anna Chlumsky who I LOVE in Veep was just dreadful. She has this 50's secretary affectation that she's putting on that was terribly annoying. The wig is also pretty bad. The butlers were completely superfluous and seemed to only be there as stagehands. The "twist" at the end was nauseating. To hear an entire audience "AWWW" when two men kiss is offensive to me.

The set and lighting was laughable. For some reason there are painting on the wall that are placed entirely too high. A chandelier that is too high. Too many sconces. The lights would raise and dim for no apparent reason which become very jarring as the play progressed. There were six sconces, two lamps and a chandelier on stage but never turned on until the final scene but to no effect.

I don't see how this is going to limp its way through the limited run. Opening night is even being papered. I'd suggest going ASAP if you must torture yourself.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#132Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 2:41pm

""I am still amazed that someone invested in this one...what were they thinking?"
That Renee Fleming would sell tickets.

"

But...But...the troll said she would!  SHE'S A DRAW!!!!

LarryD2
#133Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 2:46pm

It's actually little more than a vanity production on several levels. Renee Fleming and Kathleen Marshall are close friends; Marshall's husband is the lead producer. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#134Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:01pm

LOL there are comps all over for this online, including opening night. How embarrassing.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#135Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:03pm

Can someone tell me how long the first act is, approximately?

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 03:03 PM

neonlightsxo
#136Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:05pm

n2n, I know, right? I was offered comps three times before finally saying "OK why not"

two ladies tickets
#137Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:11pm

when I saw the show the first act ran about 55 min and the second act was 45 min. 

I just talked to a friend who is working on Living On Love and they said that they are expecting their closing notice soon. Apparently the New York Times was there last night and there was some sort of on stage mess up that was handled very badly by the cast and they are sure that may have sealed their doom. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#138Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:14pm

I wonder what happened? 

I still can't get over they can't fill the house on OPENING NIGHT. It's rare to find comps online for a Broadway show (at least from what I've seen) but good lord.

rntobe
#139Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:14pm

What is the run time for this?  It say 2 hrs 15 minutes online but it sounds like they made some cuts and it is shorter.

Can anyone who has gone recently tell me the current running time?  Thanks!

neonlightsxo
#140Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:21pm

Adam Feldman tweeted that there was no liquid in the champagne bottles and they had to run offstage to refill them.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#141Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:31pm

Yikes, that's unfortunate, especially on a night when the press is there. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#142Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 4:38pm

doesn't the Times come the day before opening? They aren't opening until Monday...

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

neonlightsxo
#143Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 4:40pm

No, dear. There are several "press dates" the week before opening.

Phillypinto
#144Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 4:41pm

two ladies tickets, do you know what exactly happened?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#145Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 4:44pm

Press see shows 4-5 days prior to the actual opening night as the show is frozen.

The First Night Press List
That era has now passed, and these days a far more sane approach is taken to dealing with Broadway critics. Rather than having them review the opening night show on opening night, critics are invited on a few designated Broadway press nights held right before the official opening night. Although these are technically preview performances, the show is almost always considered "frozen" (i.e. no further changes will be made to the production) by the time the press performances are held. This ensures that what the critic is reviewing is what subsequent audiences will also see. Some are also invited on opening night itself, but most critics prefer to go early to give themselves a little extra time to write their reviews. The people invited to these pre-opening and opening night Broadway performances are on what is known as the First Night List. They are the most important and influential critics on Broadway, most notably Ben Brantley of the New York Times.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phillypinto
#146Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 4:49pm

I really hope they liked it. I want this show to stay open

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#147Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 4:52pm

And I want a golden pony.