BroadwayConcierge
#125WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 12:06pm

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#126WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 12:31pm

LuPone is definitely the bigger star. Christine entered to very respectable applause and some hoots. Patti entered to thunderous applause. 

There were a lot of young people (college aged) and many of them were commenting on how much they liked the music. 

I agree that the choreography is non existent. I'm sure Gattelli was brought on because this is an A game all the way. No room for novices. However his talents are wasted 

SPOILER!

I didnt mind the end where they met. Part of me felt it could be a dream space. Also I appreciated Elizabeth saying that they shouldn't be arm in arm and they should go their separate ways. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#127WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 8:16pm

Kad said: "Oh, I'm not at all surprised LuPone is first. As great as Ebersole is, LuPone is a bonafide Broadway icon at this point.

"

Exactly. I can't imagine Patti being second was ever an option. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#128WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/2/16 at 6:28am

could anyone share photos of the playbill?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Different Drum
#129WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/2/16 at 10:02am

For all the praise on this board thus far, very little has been said about the book, staging, choreography, design or music. Is there anything more to this show than two divas in great voice?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#130WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/2/16 at 10:21am

I'd love to have seen LuPone's reaction if someone had approached her and asked her if she wouldn't mind second billing. 

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#131WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/2/16 at 12:17pm

Love living in Chicago!  Saw this last night and loved it.  I did find the show a bit long - and think some of the "men" songs could be cut (not saying they should).  I found it funny that Bernadette's Herbie was now playing opposite Patti.  

I am glad to hear this is transferring - though I think it will need tons of awards to succeed.  There won't be a flying helicopter, rain in the theatre, or any pop/hip-hop tunes to lure in tourists, and we know by now that simply "good theatre" won't do it anymore.  I was looking around me, and my fellow gays where fully engaged with the smart/character driven songs, but many others were less than.  

I think if they are going to have the final "dream-like" scene where they meet, they should add a few more across the show because the comic timing  and energy when these two stars finally interact with each other is amazing (the coffee pouring!).  

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

mattmarkowski99 Profile Photo
mattmarkowski99
#132WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/2/16 at 2:54pm

Can anyone post a song list? Thanks!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#133WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/2/16 at 3:22pm

As of the 2nd preview this was the song list:

Act 1

"A Woman's Face" .................... Helena, Elizabeth, Society Doyenne, Grand Dame, Heiress & Countess

"Behind the Red Door"................ Arden Girls, Society Doyenne, Grand Dame, Heiress, Countess & Elizabeth

"Back on Top"............................ Helena & Beauty Technicians

"Hope in a Jar"........................... Harry Fleming, Helena, Society Doyenne, Grand Dame, Heiress, Countess, Elizabeth, Tommy Lewis, Arden Girls & Bergdorf Goodman Customers

"A Working Marriage".................. Elizabeth & Tommy

"My American Moment"............... Helena & Elizabeth

"Step on Out".............................. Arden Girls, Miss Beam, Tommy & Harry

"If I'd Been a Man"....................... Helena & Elizabeth

"Better Yourself"........................... Elizabeth

"Oh, That's Rich".......................... Tommy, Helena, Harry & Elizabeth

"Face to Face"............................. Helena & Elizabeth

Act 2

"War Paint".................................. Helena, Elizabeth, Women Factory Workers, Eleanor Roosevelt, WACs & Flagbearers

"A Woman's Face (Reprise)".......... Countess, Society Doyenne, Heiress, Grand Dame, Young Mother & Other Branch Salon Clients

"Now You Know"........................... Helena

"No Thank You"............................ Harry, Elizabeth, Tommy, Helena & William S. Paley

"Fire and Ice"............................... Charles Revson, Dorian Leigh, Mirror Girls, Helena, Elizabeth, Harry & Tommy

"Face to Face (Reprise)"............... Helena & Elizabeth

"Dinosaurs".................................. Tommy & Harry

"Pink".......................................... Elizabeth

"Forever Beautiful"........................ Helena

"Beauty in the World".................... Helena & Elizabeth

"A Woman's Face (Reprise)........... Company

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#134WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/2/16 at 6:09pm

How many players in the orchestra?

I know it's been said briefly on this thread but I'd love a sense of how this score sounds...is it more jazzy or slow? Contemporary or period? 

Also (knowing very little about these 2 women)... Are Patti and Christine playing characters who are younger than them for a good portion of the show?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#135WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/2/16 at 9:46pm

Patti and Christine start the show when both women are in their 40-50s so it's totally age appropriate and takes them into older age, probably 70s. The makeup is done well and goes from a more youthful look to more mature hairstyles. It's very effective with no crazy makeup or special effects. 

I'm not knowledgable about music genres but to me it's very close to the Grey Gardens score, so elements of swing, light jazz, and piano drive power ballads. The end of the second act is one killer 11 o'clock number after another. 

The show ran 2:45 both nights I saw it. The book is bright, smart and imparts the story well and clearly. There need to be cuts though. The conflict is the men's numbers seem extraneous but they are clearly there to give the ladies a rest. 

There are nods to Evita in the orchestrations and some of the choreo and staging. Plus Patti with her hair pulled back in a bun as Helena there are chilling moments where you see her as Eva. 

Frankly the music and lyrics are genius. However, as with Grey Gardens, you can miss some of the wordplay and sophistication. This music isn't spoon fed to audiences. Grey Gardens had trouble filling seats and this may too. 

However, it really is a legendary night of theatre. Seeing these two women on stage is a happening. By the end of the show you are completely enthralled by their collective talents and acting powers.  

I saw it twice and long for many many more viewings. 

Also as far as seating sit as close as possible to the stage. The sets are great and top drawer, but this show is about the women and you want to see every nuance, every expression. It's the closest thing to a religious experience we have on earth 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

binau Profile Photo
binau
#136WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/2/16 at 10:13pm

Thank you everyone for your thoughts so far - they have been very informative/detailed. If there is one disappointment I'm reading so far (and maybe/I hope I am wrong) - it seems like none of the supporting cast really get a chance to have a small, influential moment. For me, I thought this was one of the flaws of the Grey Gardens score. Besides Ebersole and Wilson's top tier moments (Will You?; Revolutionary Costume; Jerry Likes My Corn; Around the World; Another Winter in a Summer Town) the score is filled with songs that yes while definitely move the story forward or explore the characters further, are not particularly interesting (e.g., Mother Darling; Goin' Places; Marry Well; Daddy's Girl).

I find shows a little more engaging when a supporting character is given a chance to shine and make an impact (e.g., Something Wonderful [King and I]; I'm Alive [N2N]; so much of Hamilton [e.g., You'll Be Back; Satisfied]); Beautiful in Sunday; Joanna in Sweeney Todd etc. - countless examples but the point is supporting role songs that are just as interesting and impactful as the leading role songs).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/2/16 at 10:13 PM

carolineorchange21 Profile Photo
carolineorchange21
#137WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/2/16 at 10:29pm

I'm at intermission of the 7/2 sat eve perf and this is a stunning show. I'm in the front row and the detail and quality of the costumes is stellar - a new outfit for every song basically. I'll update later with my full impression but this is a special moment for me as I'm such a huge Patti and Christine fan.

"...ah, gays and their wit. Hell must be a laugh a minute!" -Evie Harris

binau Profile Photo
binau
#138WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 12:14am

It looks like the show has extended yet again until August 21st? Nice! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#139WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 12:18am

Just got back from the 7/2 eve performance.  Show is tighter and more focused.

They done some trimming.. little things like the Eleanor Roosevelt speech during the WAR PAINT number..and Arden doesn't end he Act Two number PINK with a joke about never liking the color.

They have changed the ending of the show too.. A WOMAN'S FACE reprise does not end the show now.. and gone away is the society commentary the song gave the audience to take home with them..

Now the show ends with with the "meeting" scene and the BEAUTY IN THE WORLD

In spite of my feeling that the setup is contrived ...the "meeting" scene is a crowd pleaser,,, and it gives them a way to end the show without having to show the two ladies dying off,  but ... and dear musical theatre gods forgiving for saying this.. but the two times I've seen that scene there are moments when it comes off as a postmenopausal version of FOR GOOD from WICKED.

Act One still  doesn't end with a hook or question that leaves the audience hungry for what will happen.. I'm going to play armchair librettist say it would be more interesting if the two women doubled down and committed to taking out the other. Curtain.  Then all the Act Two timeline events could be the things that thwart them or happen because they have become blinded by their hatred for the other..

I ramble... but I love playing armchair playwright .. and reading other peoples ideas too

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 7/3/16 at 12:18 AM

Londonskyguy
#140WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 1:54am

Well this is why I love going to a preview and then seeing a show later in its preview period. I saw the second preview. I actually liked the Eleanor Roosevelt speech.  I loved the line at the end of "PINK",, and I thought the end of the show was perfect,, I hope to have the chance to see it again before it leaves Chicago to see how it evolves.  All and All,, I loved the show,,, I have no doubt that by the time it gets to New York it will be a big hit!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#141WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 2:35am

Glad to hear that they are already tinkering with it and trying to figure out what does and doesn't work. In regards to the joke at the end of "Pink", I must admit that in the moment I laughed, but after thinking about it, ending a song that has so much meaning with a joke definitely takes something away. At that moment Elizabeth is realizing that she is quickly becoming irrelevant to the world she helped create. She is being forced to give up the biggest part of her life, and something dies inside of her. Christine acts and sings that song so brilliantly, that I imagine it will have a much more haunting effect without the joke. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#142WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 4:50am

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread

Updated On: 7/3/16 at 04:50 AM

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#143WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 5:34am

This sounds so tantalizing!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#144WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 8:23am

Can I ask how diverse the cast is?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Hum a tune Profile Photo
Hum a tune
#145WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 9:07am

The cast is very small.  Here is a link to the Goodman website, click on Artists to see their headshots http://www.goodmantheatre.org/warpaint/  I believe Stephanie Jae Park is Asian and everyone else is Caucasian. 

Updated On: 7/3/16 at 09:07 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#146WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 10:14am

I really liked Christine's line "I never even liked the color" at the end of Pink. I suspect the book writer did not expect it to get a laugh. I didn't laugh either time. It rather broke my heart. Elizabeth says it forlornly as she sits. To me it communicated her sacrifices and how she set aside her own needs. But audiences laughed. 

pattilupwned
#147WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 6:45pm

Saw this last night (7/2). Traveled into the city to see this and we were NOT disappointed! SPOILERS AHEAD IN THIS REVIEW!!!!!!

The leading ladies are in fine voice. I am a huge LuPone fan, but had never seen Ebersole before. They were both equally on fire. Ebersole's voice was as smooth and sweet as honey, and LuPone's belt was absolutely spine-chilling. There wasn't a moment where either seemed to falter in their voice. 

I think, as it stands, the show is in great shape, as others have said. Starting the show with "A Woman's Face" is brilliant and really sets the mood and tone of the show. Others have stated that this song was a reprise used to end the show, but has since been cut; in my opinion, it is sorely missed. It's the song/tune that stuck in my head long after the show.

Honestly, it's hard to pick highlights because every song involving LuPone and Ebersole are pure gold. However, my favorites of the night were "A Woman's Face", "No Thank You" and "Now You Know". 

When either of the leading ladies are on stage, the show shines. When they're together, it's fireworks, even though they're not directly interacting. There are some weaker moments in the show, however, that could use some work during this preview period as well as the time between this run and the inevitable Broadway transfer.

The show somewhat halts when the supporting men are the main focus. The show is about Arden and Rubenstein, and it shows. The song "Dinosaurs" in particular needs to be cut entirely. Better ways of sending off the men than it. Even the "Stepping Out" number could be shortened to get us back to the main point - our ladies and their "battle". 

As others have said, the ending doesn't work. I think there are far better ways to wrap the story up without having them meet. Even the anecdote of Arden saying "Poor Helena" that was mentioned earlier in this thread could work if incorporated correctly. This version seems a little too sweet after all they've been through, and slightly hard to believe. No fault of the actors - just the writing itself.

As much as I absolutely adore LuPone, her accent is a little hard to understand at times, particularly when she is singing. There are moments where certain jokes or lines don't exactly land because some of it is missed due to the accent. However, I'm sure it is something she will grow more confident in as the run progresses. Her accent was much easier to follow and understand in Act 2. 

Overall is a wonderful show. The set design and costumes are beautiful. Simple, but they get the point across without being over the top. LuPone's various outfits were magnificent - though I may be a bit biased there WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread I am very curious to see what changes are made over the course of the run. This show is truly a star vehicle. Run, don't walk, to see this! You will not be disappointed, I can assure you!

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#148WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 7:17pm

Had a wonderful time at the seventh preview.

The show looks gorgeous and the wistful score will benefit from repeated listening. Ebersole’s given more layers to play than LuPone. Rubinstein is straightforward and brash but Arden has to work to hide strong emotions under a glamorous façade. 

The book is episodic and symmetrical. Too many scenes boil down to the leads singing about each other while the supporting cast feeds them exposition. “Did you see today’s paper? Sales are up!” Things improve when the stars have someone to play off of rather than reacting to offstage events.

Some spoilery thoughts on the supporting cast:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

John Dossett plays Arden’s Herbie-esque husband while Douglas Sills plays Rubenstein’s Gould-esque gay gigolo. Their first act lets them drive the plot. The second act sticks them with the klunky "Dinosaurs" song. 

Eleanor Roosevelt is still listed in the program but did not appear in today’s preview.

The chorus is split between 4 rich ladies and 4 scheming shop girls. They tell us what the beauty products mean to them in the opening scenes. Later we’re told the women of the 50’s and 60’s don’t care about glamour. The show could benefit from developing this theme. Show more, tell less, and all that.

The Revlon founders (Erik Liberman and Steffanie Leigh) get two interesting scenes. They give Arden a pushy sales pitch and she tells them to be less crass. Then they turn around and steal Arden and Rubinstein’s clients with a crass TV promotion. It made me wish they’d been built up into real antagonists for the women to bounce off of.

All in all a fun time but not a show you'd want to see without two stars. It was interesting to see that Patti Cohenour (Drood, Piazza) is the understudy. She's a natural fit for Ebersole's role. Less so for LuPone's.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 7/3/16 at 07:17 PM

BeingAlive 2
#149WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/3/16 at 9:57pm

All of these reports are so exciting. So wish I could travel to Chicago just to see this. I am just so happy we are getting another Korie & Frankel score (with these two singing it!). Another Winter in a Summer Town, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and  Will You? are some of my all time favorite favorites. Always such gorgeous understanding of character with such layered and complex melodies. 

Videos