pixeltracker

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances - Page 6

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#125Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 8:01am

Jed2 said: "I keep thinking of the scene in Seinfeld at the theatre when her understudy goes in instead of her ... "what, no Bette Midler?"

I'm so glad Murphy is getting her own playbill and positive audience reviews - she deserves it!

"

Rochelle, Rochelle!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#127Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 9:35am

There is an audio on tumblr of the title song - she sounds TERRIFIC! A much more exciting vocal performance than Bette. I just saw the show yesterday with Bette (LOVED it!), but now I want to go back to see Donna.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Dollypop
#128Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 9:48am

Several weeks ago I bought a ticket at the box office for a Tuesday performance in August. The gentleman was very polite but made sure I knew I'd be seeing Donna Murphy and not Bette.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#129Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 10:03am

IdinaBellFoster said: "There is an audio on tumblr of the title song - she sounds TERRIFIC! A much more exciting vocal performance than Bette. I just saw the show yesterday with Bette (LOVED it!), but now I want to go back to see Donna."

I was there and kept thinking throughout the evening that she sounded so much better live than Bette does on the recording (I have not seen Bette live)

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#130Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 10:04am

IdinaBellFoster said: "There is an audio on tumblr of the title song - she sounds TERRIFIC! A much more exciting vocal performance than Bette. I just saw the show yesterday with Bette (LOVED it!), but now I want to go back to see Donna."

I know this is wrong, oh so wrong - but I found the tumblr clip and am actually literally crying from happiness inside of me. This song is pure magic. I cannot tell if it creates happiness or finds it from corners of my mind I didn't know existed, but what a way to start this day.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BWAY Baby2
#131Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 10:17am

Donna Murphy is not really a star - and certainly not a superstar- andit is not surprising at all that her performances are not selling well- no matter how good she is in the role. People want to see Bette Midler- and the next huge star who will take over had better be that- a huge star with an avid fan base. This is a superstar show- and not mere mortal or beloved unknown Broadway entertainer can replay carry it. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#132Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 10:32am

But what is the harm? Yes, sales will dip significantly when Bette is on extended vacation, but when Bette is doing 7 out of 8 shows, why not have someone like Murphy do the 8th show? The show will still bring in money, and Midler will offset any loss.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Callum_brown1
#133Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 10:47am

I'd say it was the ushers THEMSELVES that were most distracting when I saw it from the balcony. Constantly flashing their torches at one another from different aisles and walking up and down the aisles, blocking my view! I think someone tried to record Hello Dolly number and the ushers began with OTT torch flashes and then then started shouting 'Sir! Sir!' - all while Hello Dolly was being performed, the pinnacle of the show. Though it didn't hamper how great Bette was on stage, it was nevertheless very distracting. I get that they have to stop people recording but there's no need to be so intrusive for everyone else in the audience too.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#135Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 11:31am

If someone near me is recording the show, I want the usher involved immediately, flash all the lights needed to make it stop. In the long run, watching someone record the show is more distracting than the usher doing the right thing to stop them. 

Cora Hoover Hooper Profile Photo
Cora Hoover Hooper
#136Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 11:35am

Jed2 said: "I keep thinking of the scene in Seinfeld at the theatre when her understudy goes in instead of her ... "what, no Bette Midler?"

LMAO! I'd forgotten all about that Seinfeld episode. Hilarious.

"

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#137Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 11:51am

ljay889 said: "If someone near me is recording the show, I want the usher involved immediately, flash all the lights needed to make it stop. In the long run, watching someone record the show is more distracting than the usher doing the right thing to stop them. "

You're assuming you're going to even notice the person recording the show.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#138Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 12:48pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "There is an audio on tumblr of the title song - she sounds TERRIFIC! A much more exciting vocal performance than Bette. I just saw the show yesterday with Bette (LOVED it!), but now I want to go back to see Donna.

If someone could just point me in the right direction.........

Callum_brown1
#139Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 1:16pm

Yes - I didn't even notice anyone recording anything. But then the ushers got involved and started shouting at the man and distracted the hundreds of people sat in the balcony. I get that whomever is recording shouldn't be doing it and it's the job of the ushers to stop them but they could have been more considerate to audience members in the way they stopped it - especially during Hello Dolly itself. When you're trying to listen to the score and Bette's voice and all you can hear is someone shouting it's not great.

Also, there were a couple of ushers that would walk down the aisle to the front of the balcony, have a glance around, then walk back up. Not only did this block my view but it felt like we were being policed and patrolled, not nice. Especially when the ushers are no spring chickens and took their time going up and down the stairs!

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#140Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 1:18pm

Wow.  How ridiculous is it that I wanted to give her a standing O after the Tumblr clip?

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#141Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 1:18pm

GeorgeandDot said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "There is an audio on tumblr of the title song - she sounds TERRIFIC! A much more exciting vocal performance than Bette. I just saw the show yesterday with Bette (LOVED it!), but now I want to go back to see Donna.

If someone could just point me in the right direction.........

"

PMd you 

martysil
#142Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 1:25pm

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links to this or not.

What I did this morning is go to https://www.tumblr.com/, click Search (upper left) and search for

donna murphy hello dolly

I did not even have to log in.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#144Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 1:42pm

She sounds AMAZING!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#145Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 2:14pm

LizzieCurry said: "ljay889 said: "If someone near me is recording the show, I want the usher involved immediately, flash all the lights needed to make it stop. In the long run, watching someone record the show is more distracting than the usher doing the right thing to stop them. "

You're assuming you're going to even notice the person recording the show.

"

I've witnessed people recording shows on their phones on multiple occasions. A bootlegger will obviously be more discreet. 

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#146Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 2:15pm

"Any other suggestions on how to get people's attention other than by using a flashlight and calling out to them, especially during louder moments, would be greatly appreciated. "

Tranqulizer darts?

When I saw Hello Dolly from the Balcony the ushers constant running up and down the aisles flashing their lights was horribly distracting. Way more distracting then the phone itself. I wasn't mad at the ushers because I know they have to enforce the law. I just wish there was a better way to do it. But I don't know what that would be.

Callum_brown1
#147Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 2:25pm

PThespian said:

Frequently if an usher is "policing" the audience it's because an actor has complained to the Stage Manager about someone, and Stage Management has contacted the House Manager. 

It's not a lot of fun going up and down aisles in the dark, especially for the ushers who are "no spring chickens." 

If they do it it's usually for a good reason. 

"

All the way in the balcony? But that's fair enough. I'm just visiting NYC from London and things usually happen differently in the West End - maybe I'm just picking up on them.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#148Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 5:01pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "Donna Murphy is not really a star - and certainly not a superstar- andit is not surprising at all that her performances are not selling well- no matter how good she is in the role. People want to see Bette Midler- and the next huge star who will take over had better be that- a huge star with an avid fan base. This is a superstar show- and not mere mortal or beloved unknown Broadway entertainer can replay carry it. 

"

I know what you say is mostly true but still Donna Murphy is no Morgan James - she has won multiple Tony Awards and turned out some amazing leading performances time and time again. She is perfectly suited to doing 1 performance per week. And if she is good enough in the role hopefully there is enough word of mouth and attractive discounts to entice people to see the show and keep it floating - even if just above water - until Bette returns to the stage. 

I'm guessing the operating costs do not significantly increase for this extra performance - the rent has to be paid regardless and the performers might all be being paid for a full week regardless? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/15/17 at 05:01 PM

bk
#149Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 5:07pm

Stop blaming the ushers and start blaming the cretins who can't keep their stinking hands off their stupid phones and just watch a show.  These entitled pricks are sickening and need to be stopped.  They paid to see the show - that does not give them the right to whip out their phones and record it.  If caught, they should be ejected from the theater immediately.  No discussion.  You know who you are - just stop it.  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#150Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 5:23pm

Mmm they are the worst. I umm, headed over to tumbr' to express my distaste for it.

Donna Murphy sounds great! She has the right balance of strong personality/speak-singing but also genuine vocal ability to make the song both fun and pleasant on the ears. Her ad-lib/comedy lines are really funny too ("omg you look fabulous Stanley"Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!.......("wow, wow, wow - fellas"Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!.

I wish I could see her.

Please no one record her full performance - that would be terrible. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Callum_brown1
#151Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 6:26pm

Yes, it's hard to have two separate discussions going on in this thread - one saying how the people that record things in theatres are scum of the earth and the other going nuts over a bootlegged recording! 

The fact of the matter is that although it is illegal and immoral (?) to record things in theatres, this is not A Streetcar Named Desire or some intensely dramatic Shakespeare production that lives in the moment - it's a production where Bette Midler sings. Some people will want to record it. It's bad, I know, I wouldn't do it, but if it's not going to happen at this show then I don't know when it will. It's up to the ushers (and theatre management) how to react to this, and how to minimise disruption for the rest of the audience as much as possible. All I'm saying is, along with another poster, that they didn't do a particularly good job in the balcony.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#152Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 8:46pm

martysil said: "I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links to this or not.

What I did this morning is go to https://www.tumblr.com/, click Search (upper left) and search for

donna murphy hello dolly

I did not even have to log in.

"Cool TY...what a treat hearing Donna ...just listen to the energy and fun she's having and those boys ~ orchestrations sounding so rich and powerfully polished...glorious! WOW WOW WOW!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 6/15/17 at 08:46 PM

Videos