pixeltracker

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews- Page 6

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#125THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 1:22pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Wick, where would you put an intermission?"

Very good question. Mind you when I saw the show I didnt' know anything about it and just presumed there would be an intermission. One moment I thought where an intermission would be quite fitting is after the roller skating scene with the disco ball. I believe this is after "Haled's song about love". 

However, looking at the song list, if there is an intermission at that point, there would only be ~20 mins of the show left after intermission so I doubt that would work. 

BTW, they performed a combination of "Papi Hears the Ocean" and "Haled's song about love" at Elsie Fest:

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#126THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 3:10pm

After Eight said: "Having suffered through this drab, trite, tuneless bore at the Atlantic, I could not bring myself to sit through it again onBroadway."

Thank you for posting this! I have tickets later this month, and I was a little concerned when I saw some of the negative opinions in the thread. But now I can rest assured I will almost certainly enjoy it!

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#127THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 4:45pm

Kad said: "Since when has not liking something ever stopped you from suffering through it again so you can whine anew?"

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#128THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 4:48pm

After Eight said: "Having suffered through this drab, trite, tuneless bore at the Atlantic, I could not bring myself to sit through it again onBroadway."

YAY! This means I'll love it!

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#129THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 5:00pm

I don't think the show would work with an intermission. They probably should encourage the ushers to remind audience members that the show is 90 minutes without an intermission though - expectations count for a lot.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

A Director
#130THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 5:19pm

QueenAlice said: "I don't think the show would work with an intermission. They probably should encourage the ushers to remind audience members that the show is 90 minutes without an intermission though - expectations count for a lot."

Here's a novel idea, people should read their PLAYBILL which clearly states, THE BAND'S VISIT WILL BE PERFORMED WITHOUT AN INTERMISSION.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#131THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 5:22pm

Well the night I saw the show, the house opened late and they were still herding huge amounts of people in at 8:05. I think I had about 30 seconds in my seat before the lights dimmed. Definitely not time to read the program.  The 90 minute musical is definitely something of an anomaly on Broadway (the 80 minute first act is actually more common) so I can't really blame these early audience members being uninformed.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#132THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 5:52pm

I really wish I could see what so many others saw in this show. I had the same reaction to Once as I did to The Band’s Visit - I was beyond perplexed as to what so many people saw in the show(s). Maybe these small quaint and quiet shows are just not for me. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 10/12/17 at 05:52 PM

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#133THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 6:21pm

Do they not tell you when you buy/pick up or ticket or when your ticket gets scanned? They do that with Come From Away, to the point where it's almost annoying.

They'll probably start doing it soon/after it opens.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#134THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 7:23pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I really wish I could see what so many others saw in this show. I had the same reaction to Once as I did to The Band’s Visit - I was beyond perplexed as to what so many people saw in the show(s). Maybe these small quaint and quiet shows are just not for me."

Don’t sweat it honey. I’m sure you have shows you absolutely love that some people aren’t fans of either. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#135THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 7:27pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I really wish I could see what so many others saw in this show. I had the same reaction to Once as I did to The Band’s Visit - I was beyond perplexed as to what so many people saw in the show(s). Maybe these small quaint and quiet shows are just not for me."

No need to beat yourself up if it’s not your cup of tea. I personally loved Once as well. Both are not really plot driven, more about interactions and connections between strangers. No big flashy numbers, no 11:00 number, just an investment into the intimate lives of the characters. If that’s not your thing, it’s quite fine. 

I don’t see how not knowing it’s a one-act would diminish the experience or how knowing there’s no intermission would enhance it. Just watch and take it in.

greenifyme2
#136THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 7:42pm

Box seats are $80. Got one for this weekend. Wanted to see the show for under $100 so it seemed like my only option other than rush. I've never had a problem with boxes but we'll see how it is. Will report back if anyone is interested. 

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#137THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 8:50pm

greenifyme2 said: "Box seats are $80. Got one for this weekend. Wanted to see the show for under $100 so it seemed like my only option other than rush. I've never had a problem with boxes but we'll see how it is. Will report back if anyone is interested."

Please do!

MovieInMyMind2
#138THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 9:35pm

I wanted so badly to love The Band's Visit. I went to NYC for 11 days and saw a lot of musicals and plays, as I usually do. This is one that I was honestly looking forward to so much.

I love movies like this. I've seen The Band's Visit years ago, and loved it. When I heard that they were making a musical version, I knew I just had to see it.

It honestly lacked the magic that it had on screen, in my opinion. 

The songs, besides 'Omar Sharif' and its reprises, were so forgettable that I don't really remember them at all. And, I just saw it days ago. 'Omar Sharif' stands out, and, it had two reprises, but... I feel like some of the songs dragged on, and on, and on.

The chemistry between the two main leads wasn't all that strong. 

The character development tried to follow the movie closely, but, I felt that there was still a lot missing in that aspect.

Some very small characters had some songs (telephone guy) but I feel like a song slot should have gone to, say... Tewfiq, who doesn't really sing AT ALL during the show except for a tiny bit.

As I said, the chemistry wasn't really there, for me.

The songs, except for a small handful, were extremely forgettable. 

The relationships / friendships felt extremely forced.

Not enough story building. Not enough character development.

I'm not the type to only go for big flashy musicals, too. My favorite musical experience of all time was Daddy Long Legs off-Broadway, which was small and intimate. I like small, intimate, and cozy sentimental musicals. But this one... I don't think it was done exceptionally well.

I normally never compare movies to their musical counterparts, but in this case, I will.

The movie is much more raw, powerful, and had a much bigger impact on me.

I went with three friends. One of my friends is Jewish and wanted to see this musical very badly. My other two friends wanted to see Tony Shalhoub. I was the only one in my party who had seen the movie before.

None of my friends really liked this one at all. They all said it was very forgettable. Everyone loved the song 'Omar Sharif' and one of my friends did like it more than the rest, but at the end of the day, even they were kinda... ehhhh.... about it.

After Eight
#139THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:37am

bwayphreak234 said: "I really wish I could see what so many others saw in this show.I had the same reaction to Once as I did to The Band’s Visit - I was beyond perplexed as to what so many people saw in the show(s)."

You need only read said people's posts. They will often detail it for you at great length.

"Maybe these small quaint and quiet shows are just not for me."

Once wasn't all that quiet --- certainly not the man's constant wailing on his guitar. The show itself was aggressively irritating. The Band's Visit is unaggressive, but implacably dull.

The Fantasticks is small, quaint, and quiet --- and wonderful.  

Not so these two.

Updated On: 10/13/17 at 12:37 AM

Yankees02
#140THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:38am

So are the rear mezzanine not good seats?? I got them using the discount and wondering if it's worth calling telecharge. Hate dealing with them

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#141THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:49pm

I saw it last night and although I liked it and was moved I thought it was a triumph of the director's art over the material. The show is about transcending conflict through music but instead of dramatizing conflict it avoids it altogether. Characters restate their yearning for connection over and over again without much variation. The evening lacks dramatic momentum. Still, there is exquisite direction and strong, fully embodied character performances from the ensemble.

Updated On: 10/13/17 at 12:49 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#142THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/13/17 at 1:11pm

Yankees02 said: "So are the rear mezzanine not good seats?? I got them using the discount and wondering if it's worth calling telecharge. Hate dealing with them"

I sat in the last row of the mezzanine, and the view was absolutely fine!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Yankees02
#143THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/13/17 at 2:57pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Yankees02 said: "So are the rear mezzanine not good seats?? I got them using the discount and wondering if it's worth calling telecharge. Hate dealing with them"

I sat in the last row of the mezzanine, and the view was absolutely fine!
"

thank you very much, save me the hassle of having to deal with telecharge. I'll keep my seats then :)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#144THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/13/17 at 6:22pm

Sinister Teashop, as someone who loved the show off-Broadway, I do think that's a fair critique of the show. It somehow bowled me over. The guy waiting for the telephone call..I don't know...it brought me to tears. But I'm a hopeless romantic like that. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#145THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/13/17 at 6:29pm

I have tix to see this and five other shows next month. As I bawled through (and loved it) most of Once, I think I’ll love this too. Once remains one of my favorite Broadway memories.  

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#146THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/13/17 at 7:50pm

The audience is arriving for tonight's performance. Upstairs in the mezzanine, an usher is handing out Playbills and encouraging everyone to "have a great time."

The "please turn off your cell phones" projected message on the stage scrim is headache-inducing. The vertigo message is wobbling back and forth, as if the projectionist was driving over gravel.

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#147THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/13/17 at 10:57pm

A lovely, quiet show.

Beautiful music. I liked that the songs were sung character to character instead of character to audience. The climatic, yet poignant  "Answer Me" is mighty fine.

Effective use of turntables. Even the crib has a gently spinning mobile.

wolfwriter
#148THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/14/17 at 12:11am

Caught this tonight and so glad I did. Had a ticket to see it at the Atlantic, but had a family emergency and couldn't make it.

A few weeks ago, after seeing Time and the Conways, I was sure I had seen my favorite play of the year. I'm fairly certain, tonight, I saw my favorite musical.

This is a quiet slice-of-life that builds slowly, to an emotionally heavy nexus that provides just enough catharsis for the audience, but also, like life, goes to some unexpected places.

Everything about the show is meticulously crafted. The music is wonderful and can't wait for the CD. The lighting, the staging and the entire cast are wonderful. Special mention of Katrina Lenk is necessary. She is exceptional. David Cromer is absolved for his work on The Treasurer.

I can see this not being everyone's cup of tea. If flashy, plot-heavy musicals with a happy ending are your thing, this is probably not for you. But, if you don't mind doing some of the work, staying engaged and allowing the emotion of the piece to build, you'll connect to it, as I and my companion did.

Theater was, apparently, sold out, tonight. A good chunk of the orchestra did not stand at the conclusion. I couldn't wait to stand (which is rare for me).

This is easily one of my top 10 musicals of the last decade. We weren't across the street, afterward, when we were already discussing re-visting the show.

After Eight
#149THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/14/17 at 5:31am

Wolfwriter wrote: "But, if you don't mind doing some of the work,"

If I pay to dine at a restaurant, am I supposed to go into the kitchen and do part of the cooking? In the theatre, it's the creators' job to do ALL of the work, not the paying customers'.

"staying engaged"

Again, it's the creators' job to KEEP us engaged. We shouldn't have to force ourselves to connect or pay attention to something on stage that is not holding our interest.

"and allowing the emotion of the piece to build,"

Who's preventing the emotion of the piece to build, other than the authors?

"you'll connect to it, as I and my companion did."

I didn't.

Updated On: 10/14/17 at 05:31 AM

Videos