pixeltracker

Biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.- Page 6

Biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.

MuppetManiaMan Profile Photo
MuppetManiaMan
#125re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 7:38pm

When I saw "Wicked" a few summers ago, when Fiyaro swings in on some sort of a vine to save Elphaba, he fell flat on his butt. The whole cast on stage couldn't keep it in and were laughing hysterically, completely killing the mood. The poor guy walked off slowly and tried it again, successfully. definately memorable!

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#126re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 7:42pm

Ok, Dance of the Vampires has been closed for how many years now? Where's that beating a dead horse graphic when you need it!

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#127re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 7:49pm

and?
so has Brooklyn and Footloose been closed ages, why didnt you mention that when they were mentioned eh?

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 2/12/08 at 07:49 PM

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#128re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 7:53pm

The biggest mistake I've witnessed on stage was, Nancy Hess' performance in the revival of Chicago.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#129re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 7:53pm

In amalou's defense, when Brooklyn closed this thread was fairly recent.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#130re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 8:01pm

Legally Blonde:
This was RIGHT before the stagehand strike:

I went to see Legally Blonde on a night when Noah Weisberg [sigh] was on as Emmett. During "Blood in the Water" the desks on the right side where Laura Bell, Richard and Kate sit never came on, but the left side came on. The cast could not stop themselves from smirking and trying not to crack up. The ensemble stood but Laura Bell not missing a beat just sat on the floor and pretended as if there was a seat: Micheal Rupert made his entrance and said his line then turned and looked away to crack up. The following scene where Emmett tells Elle her law career is not over, Noah said the line and then Laura said "Thats so not the problem, but, there weren't enough chairs in there." The audience roared. Then during "Positive", the classroom doors from "Blood in The Water" never moved, until a stagehand came out and moved it, so Laura Bell spun to cover the hole in the stage and almost fell but Richard and Kate pushed her forward slightly to keep her from falling.

Also during the same performance, Noah didnt drink enough of the Redbull and Laura spun with Bruiser and it spilled onstage.

----------------------------------------------------------

Small ones:

During Wicked once, Eden completely skipped the "for the first time I feel wicked.." line and moved on to the next line and Derrick sort of freaked and just kissed her again to cover it.

During Hairspray, the Corny Collins podium got stuck coming on and a stagehand had to shove it onstage.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 2/13/08 at 08:01 PM

omgomgomg
#131re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 8:36pm

The lion king a long time ago nala fell broke her leg and her understudy was out so they sent some random person with a script out!!

proptart101
#132re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 9:45pm

A regional production of Tosca in the early 80s when the woman playing Tosca flings herself off the wrong part of the battlements at the end, completely missing the crash pads and putting herself in the hospital. She didn't make the curtain call.

She was behind in her blocking as she ran up the stairs and decided to jump with the music rather than wait until she got to the proper place on the set.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood. " - Tom Robbins

Ole Chum
#133re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 11:01pm

I once saw Karen Olivo come out in the middle of Act I of RENT without her mic on... she was completely unintelligble for a few lines before she just left the stage to get re-outfitted.

I also saw Barbra Walsh's mic go dead in Company. She knew it too, but couldnt really get offstage to get it fixed and kept whispering to ppl saying "is my mic on? can you hear me?"
She also had to disappear for a bit to get fixed.

The only actual real prop mishap I can remember seeing was when the bottle of Stoli in RENT kinda just exploded and smashed everywhere. I dont remembr who was playing Collins but he and Andy Senor had to spend all of Youll See crouched on the floor picking up the glass and putting it all in that bucket. was pretty distracting.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#134re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 11:09pm

The lion king a long time ago nala fell broke her leg and her understudy was out so they sent some random person with a script out!!

Yeah, I think we went over this three years ago in this very thread.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Muhlethaler
#135re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 11:14pm

Updated On: 6/18/20 at 11:14 PM

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#136re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 11:22pm

When I went on the "Wicked" behind the scenes tour someone asked our hosts about things going wrong in shows they were in. Here are the stories:

1.) One of them made their B'way debut in "Titanic." His big moment was toward the end of the show when he was playing the lookout who spotted the iceberg. He was supposed to shout "Iceberg! Iceberg!" as ice chips fell onto the set. Well, one night for whatever reason he just went blank, and all he could say was "Ice! Falling Ice!"

2.) One of them was a Swing in "Wicked" and said one night he came onstage for "No one mourns the Wicked". He got about half way through the number when he looked next to him and saw the person he was supposedly swinging in for. He had gotten confused and was doing the wrong track - so there were two guys doing exactly the same thing, and one big gap onstage.

That's not to mention the times when the Titanic ship didn't sink, or in Phantom when the boat malfunctioned and started going backwards with the Phantom and Christine still in it.

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#137re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 11:44pm

best12bars...were you really there....cause even though the story is true, that is what happened at LION KING early in it's run, that sound like it's word-for-word on what Tom Schumacher is saying in his Book signing tours. I have heard that story many times and I think it's in his book but I have heard and read that so clearly so many times by Tom, himself.

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#138re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 12:30am

At Lieutenant of Inishmore at Syracuse Stage, some nights the cat wouldn't come out for the end, so they would make noises from offstage of a cat meowing to give the actor a reason to go get it. The cat became such a problem, they made it an actual sound cue that was ready to go on.

Also, one of the nights, the blood dispenser went off a good two seconds after the gun was fired. It looked a little funny with the delay

yeslets Profile Photo
yeslets
#139re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 12:50am

Years ago I saw a performance of Beauty and the Beast in Toronto, and the person playing the 'carpet' was doing a set of cartwheels - or maybe back flips? - and was supposed to continue until they were off-stage. However, that night they were too far forward, missed the wing entirely, and ran smack into the scenery at stage left. The poor person collapsed but by the time they got up again the scene had already changed, and so they had to crouch in a little ball and try to be as inconspicuous as possible. It was pretty funny.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#140re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 1:09am

Last May, I was 'Eddie Flagrante' in a production of ZOMBIE PROM. One night, during "That's the Beat For Me" my mind was evidently somewhere else (in truth, I had just found out that a dear friend had passed away before going on). So, I'm working the second verse, and all of the sudden, I turn to the audience and I'm all, "--It's live theatre folks!" and I went right into the chorus without any problems. It got a good laugh from the house that night.

Also at ZOMBIE PROM, I believe it was that same evening, during "At the Dance" (the lead-in to "Expose"), I fell going UP a narrow staircase (that's what I get for 'side-stepping my way to Delilah - literally), and as expected, I fell (HARD) on my knee. The audience gave a collective gasp, and without thinking, I lept right back up and continued the number, working the tango like never before with a busted kneecap. Little did I know, there was blood (quite a bit). Of course, I didn't take notice until after I got back to my dressing room.

Then, there was one performance thereafter, when I was feeling al the more giddy, and wanted to 'change things up a bit' for my buddy playing "Jo(h)nny" - Backstage, I remember telling him, "I'll take care of you out there, just follow my lead." So, we get out there during "Come Along and Join Us" at the T.V.Station, and the girl playing the Station Manager did her bit (hilarious stuff), and there was one instance in particular when she glared at Jo(h)nny 'just long enough' for me to turn to the audience, back to the manager, and then, take in Jo(h)nny's facial - the whole 'nervous', 'what'd I do?' kinda thing - and this came out, "Hey ,don't worry, kid. *beat* She won't hurt ya!" During the dialogue before "Expose", the audience was giggling to themselves 'cause we were 'getting frisky' (as it were) and so, I turn to the house and go, "Oh yeah, we're goin' there!" They howled for that line, which made me feel really good about the performance. It was a wonderful run throughout, despite all of the personal obstacles I had to overcome at the time... re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.

bluetuna
#141re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 4:23am

DrTheatre, Best12bars wrote about that two and a half years ago. Look at the date.

broadwayrules  Profile Photo
broadwayrules
#142re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 8:26am

When I saw the Capitol Steps (political satire group) they were doing a John Kerry and George Bush skit, and John Kerry said to George in the middle after a line mistake, "Uh, George why don't we stick to the script?" and George replied, "The problem with playing George Bush is you start to become him after a while!" The audience loved it!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#143re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 8:29am

The whole of Rent Remixed lol

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#144re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 8:33am

Carrie

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

#145re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 9:52am

Loretta Swit in Drood and the entire production of Into The Light!

webcomix Profile Photo
webcomix
#146re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 12:51pm

I think the socks are supposed to come down - I feel it gives Moritz a more scattered, anxious look.

Anyway, I saw RENT on tour and during La Vie Boheme, Mark fell off the table when he was dancing. Ouch!

Personal - We were doing a production of Our Town, and since it's not a very lively play, we decided to add our own little quirks to some characters. In one scene, Mrs. Gibbs gives Mr. Gibbs some pancakes for breakfast, and our Mr. Gibbs decided he was just going to continue pouring the syrup throughout his entire long-winded speech. We thought the audience wouldn't really notice, but as he continued talking, giggles and mumbling could be heard. Then, someone cried out, "He's still pouring!" and the entire audience burst out laughing. Our Mrs. Gibbs couldn't contain her own laughter and interrupted him with, "Honey, why are you using so much syrup?" Joel paused, looked at his plate for a few moments and finally announced, "I'm feeling sweet today!"

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#147re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 1:05pm

Passing Strange

Roscoe
#148re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 1:15pm

The cast of the current revival of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#149re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
Posted: 2/13/08 at 1:21pm

Mary Lou Rosato as the Queen in, "Once Upon a Mattress".

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos