Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:52pm

Incredible casting. Wow. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
RW3
#152COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 9:00pm

Halle Bailey is Nettie

2023 seems like it will be big year for her.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#153COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 9:00pm

Halle Bailey is Nettie. 
What a cast!

I see this movie more as a Thanksgiving weekend release. There’s just something about it that doesn’t feel so Christmassy to me.

Oh look, a bibu!

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#154COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 9:01pm

The last minute or so of this clip, is probably one of the best things Spiderwoman has.  I hope they can capture Fantasia like this on screen.

Updated On: 2/4/22 at 09:01 PM

JasonC3
#155COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 9:02pm

I'd hardly call Brooks and Fantasia a risk.

BritCrit
#156COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 9:08pm

RW3 said: "Halle Bailey is Nettie

2023 seems like it will be big year for her.
"

At the very least, it will allow her to avoid Mena Massoud syndrome (Headlining a Disney Live-action remake, the vanishing into obscurity for months after it gets released). TLM was filmed in the first half of last year, giving Bailey plenty of time to follow a safe family blockbuster with a more daring and adult musical...

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#157COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 9:34pm

The musical will be directed by Blitz Bazawule (Beyoncé’s Black Is King), and screenplay by Marcus Gardley (The House That Will Not Stand, The Chi). Fantasia as Celie, Colman Domingo as Mister, Haile Bailey as Nettie, Taraji P. Henson as Shug Avery, Corey Hawkins as Harpo, H.E.R. as Squeak, Danielle Brooks as Sophia.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/02/oprah-winfrey-the-color-purple-cast-musical/amp

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#158COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 9:36pm

Oh man, I loved Corey Hawkins in ITH, what a talent! 

Azúcar!
#159COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 9:56pm

They are casting old.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#160COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 9:57pm

Colman Domingo is in EVERYTHING. Damn. He’s incredible.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#161COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 10:11pm

An incredible cast, now I'm excited. Let's hope they get the direction right on this one. 

cliffordbradshaw2
#162COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 10:22pm

Barbara Cook would be delighted; she raved over Fantasia's Broadway Celie.

Updated On: 2/3/22 at 10:22 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#163COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 10:33pm

My God... This casting is FIRE!!!! Already this casting is just as great as West Side Story 2021!

COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#164COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 10:44pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Halle Bailey is Nettie.
What a cast!

I see this movie more as a Thanksgiving weekend release. There’s just something about it that doesn’t feel so Christmassy to me.
"

I read this quickly as Halle Berry and immediately thought "she's way too old".

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#165COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 10:46pm

I wonder if Fantasia or Brooks had to audition?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RW3
#166COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 11:05pm

ACL2006 said: "I wonder if Fantasia or Brooks had to audition?"

Based on the videos both of them posted, I would say yes. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#167COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 11:05pm

I would be shocked if they didn’t screen test Fantasia. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#168COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 11:16pm

BritCrit said: "At the very least, it will allow her to avoid Mena Massoud syndrome (Headlining a Disney Live-action remake, the vanishing into obscurity for months after it gets released)."

Mena was very candid in a 2019 interview about his life post-Aladdin:

“It’s wild to a lot of people,” he says. “People have these ideas in their head. It’s like, I'm sitting here being like, OK, Aladdin just hit $1 billion. Can I at least get an audition? Like I’m not expecting you to be like, here’s Batman. But can I just get in the room? Like, can you just give me a chance? So it’s not always what you think.” 

“I’m usually the wild card.”

“There’s always a wild card or two when you’re casting,” he says. “I’m usually the wild card. In a room of Caucasian guys, a director might be like, OK, let’s see, like, two guys who aren’t. And maybe they’ll be the wild card choice.”

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#169COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 11:19pm

Just got around to seeing this cast list and I AM NOT WELL!!!

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

babyjunegem
#170COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/4/22 at 12:03am

everythingtaboo said: "BritCrit said: "At the very least, it will allow her to avoid Mena Massoud syndrome (Headlining a Disney Live-action remake, the vanishing into obscurity for months after it gets released)."

Mena was very candid in a 2019 interview about his life post-Aladdin:

“It’s wild to a lot of people,” he says. “People have these ideas in their head. It’s like, I'm sitting here being like, OK, Aladdin just hit $1 billion. Can I at least get an audition? Like I’m not expecting you to be like, here’s Batman. But can I just get in the room? Like, can you just give me a chance? So it’s not always what you think.”

“I’m usually the wild card.”

“There’s always a wild card or two when you’re casting,” he says. “I’m usually the wild card. In a room of Caucasian guys, a director might be like, OK, let’s see, like, two guys who aren’t. And maybe they’ll be the wild card choice.”
"

I don't think that Halle was ever in danger of being in a Mena Massoud situation. She and Rachel Zegler are following the same path to the A-List. Undeniable singing talent plus movie star presence.

What's also helped is that they have prominent industry backers/collaborators. 

I'm loving the Fantasia casting choice. Honestly, this cast is THE dream cast.

SouthernCakes
#171COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/4/22 at 12:19am

VERY excited! And the director is really cool so pretty excited!!

52889j
#172COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/4/22 at 12:38am

Tag said: "The last minute of so of this clip, is probably one of the best things Spiderwoman has. I hope they can capture Fantasia like this on screen."

Chills and tears everywhere. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#173COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/4/22 at 12:52am

ACL2006 said: "I wonder if Fantasia or Brooks had to audition?"

In a video Oprah posted today, she holds up an iPad with Brooks' audition video/screentest on it.

BwayLB
#174COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/4/22 at 12:52am

I'm officially hyped with Fantasia leading as Celie. I'm surprised she would come back to the role after so many years. I missed her at the Hollywood Pantages a decade or so ago.

Videos