News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

BEETLEJUICE Previews

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#150BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 3:14pm

From the mostly negative comments I’m ready to give up on this show (and King Kong, and Tootsie) and see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child at the Lyric Theatre.

Any thoughts?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#151BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 3:32pm

RexInLights said: "I saw Beetlejuice last night and for my money it’s one of the worst new musicals I’ve seen in years. I hated nearly every moment of it. The design work and puppetry is nice. There are a few charming performances. Otherwise, this is a shrill, pandering mess that trades in the unique charm of the film for obnoxious references, awful jokes, and forced emotion. The book, as it were, is a disaster. The songs are mediocre at best. That this composer has two big new musicals in one season is a crime.

I agree that Brightman plays the role the same as he played his School of Rock character. It’s far less effective here.

What a shame.
"

Yup that's the word around town unfortunately but Leslie Kritzer and the design elements are the only thing worth mentioning.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#152BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 3:46pm

Lavieboheme3090 said: "

Get an over priced glass of wine and have some fun."

I like you. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

hveasey
#153BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 4:26pm

dmwnc1959 said: "From the mostly negative comments I’m ready to give up on this show (and King Kong, and Tootsie) and see Harry Potter and the Cursed Childatthe Lyric Theatre.

Any thoughts?
"

I’ve seen both and you should absolutely go see Cursed Child over Beetlejuice.

stevo3041
#154BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 4:42pm

Figured I'd give a rush update - went this morning, a Wednesday, and got stuck on the subway so didn't arrive until 10:10AM - still got an Orchestra Right Row C seat - full view - about four seats in from the aisle.  Hoping it's worth the money!!!!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#155BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 9:09pm

We’re about an hour into the evening performance:

1) The preshow strobe lights in the house are too much. It actually hurt my eyes.

2) They’ve shut down for technical difficulties because it seems there are microphone and sound mixing issues.

3) Oy. This thing is a turkey.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

singer234
#156BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 9:38pm

I am having the best time. I do not understand the vitriol. This is SUCH a fun evening at the theatre.

singer234
#157BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 9:38pm

I am having the best time. I do not understand the vitriol. This is SUCH a fun evening at the theatre.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#158BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 11:29pm

Saw this tonight. There was a "technical difficulties" hold for about 5 minutes from 9:10 to 9:15. I have many thoughts on this show, but by no means would I call it bad. It's commercial fun and an entertaining night at the theatre.

The performances and characterizations are strong. Personally, I thought the best moments were when Butler, McClure, and Krizter were on stage. They were fantastic. There was this great song and scene between Beetlejuice and Lily on the roof that featured Butler and McClure right before the hold of the show. If able, this needs to be their Tony number. Simply fantastic.

The show is self aware, campy with accidental dips into cheap, and mostly clever. There's enough musical theatre snob moments for theatre critics in the audience to chuckle at.

I thoroughly enjoyed the queerness of the title character and the whiteness the show explored. They were very clear in labeling this as a "watch the white people do white things" show in the first very scenes. As someone studying and teaching about whiteness in academia, this was a nice step forward for the story and Broadway.

My double of Malbec and its refill were helpful. It's a great summer show or a post-brunch show.

stevo3041
#159BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 11:40pm

Yea, not sure what all the fuss is about.  It likely isn't an award winner - but the show itself is straight up fun.  I laughed on several occasions and those around me were laughing hysterically.  A few great songs, some clever campiness, and while it isn't traditional theater, I appreciated its awareness of itself.  It reminded me of Spongebob, just acceptable for older audiences.  Hoping it sticks around for a bit.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#160BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/3/19 at 11:44pm

Agreed, stevo3041. And I thought it was LEAGUES better than The Addams Family. (Addams is close to Gettin' the Band Back Together for worst musical I've seen on Broadway.)

Had TDF tickets tonight. Great row from the house right side of Row C of the mezz.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#161BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/4/19 at 12:18am

To elaborate on my comments from earlier:

Regarding the tech snafu, Rob McClure said at the stage door that the soundboard completely crashed and the sound mixer was unable to coordinate the cues for the lines and orchestra with consistent glitches, so they opted to shut down for a few minutes and restart.

I went into the show with full awareness that it was going to be a popcorn show. While I chuckled a few times, a few solid jokes does not make up for the fact that the book basically takes some guts from the movie and places then into some sort of sewn together Frankenstein. I can enjoy a cheesy, campy show, but the choice to highlight easy topical humor over general coherence in plot sucks the fun out of it. Some performances were good. The score was very unmemorable and basic. It basically looks like they threw all their money into the set.

Sure, some people can enjoy it. But I found it mind-numbingly bad as a whole.

Stage Door: Everyone But Leslie came out within 20-30 mins. Alex took about an hour because he said there were some people backstage and also it’s still previews.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

jas1234
#162BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/4/19 at 12:25am

Didn't know what to expect from "Beetlejuice" but I really had a fun time this evening at the show.  I think Alex Timbers is an inventive, smart director who has pulled out all the stops for this one.  I've loved his work from "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson" to "Peter and the Starcatcher" to "Here Lies Love" to "Oh Hello!" and I hear "Moulin Rouge" is pretty damn good.  I also credit the creatives in that this doesn't just adapt the movie to the stage but it's a more original story line that most of the recent musicals that have emerged from film.  Sure there are iconic moments:  Day-O, Shake Sonora, Miss Argentina...and that adds to the pleasure of the evening.  I thought the score was was certainly listenable and there were a couple of solid ballads; Alex Brightman is no Michael Keaton but he is a consummate performer and landed all the laughs; and Leslie Kritzer, Kerry Butler, Rob McClure and especially Jill Abramowitz who is a hoot are wonderful in support.  And I  liked the synergy of the father-daughter relationship between Adam Dannheiser and Sophie Caruso- it added some heart to the show.  The design elements are the best of any musical this season.  This is certainly not a musical for the ages, but for my money it's the most entertaining musical of the season.  They're working on the show so it probably will become better before the opening and right now I'd give it a B+ but I would think it will eventually be an A-.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#163BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/4/19 at 5:20am

Ironically perhaps for those of us imagining Tim Minchin for this, it was Minchin who suggested to his friend Eddie Perfect that he try for the Beetlejuice gig.
https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/eddie-perfect-on-breaking-into-broadway-and-sneaking-songs-into-his-new-play-vivid-white-20171115-gzljyw.html

MusicAndPassion, if you're interested, it seems Perfect has had a go at skewering whiteness in a musical before, 'Vivid White'. The above article mentions it briefly. Here's one positive review and one negative:
https://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/reviews/vivid-white-melbourne-theatre-company/
https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/vivid-white-review-satirical-musical-fails-to-gel-20171123-gzrpsn.html

For the record, I haven't heard/seen any of Perfect's stuff so have no opinion there myself.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#164BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/4/19 at 10:37am

quizking101 said: "It basically looks like they threw all their money into the set."

Lots of folks are commenting positively on the set design, but no one has described it in any detail. What's so impressive about it?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

RumTumJM
#165BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/4/19 at 1:12pm

Are they doing regular, daily rush tickets for this or just that weekly game show thing?

If they are doing daily, what's the price for the tickets?

mattyp4
#166BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/4/19 at 2:55pm

jas1234 said: "I thought the score was was certainly listenable..."

I hope they use this as a pull quote for the poster.

borneback12
#167BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/4/19 at 4:15pm

I totally agree with some of the last posters...I cannot understand the absolute passionate hatred for this show by some of the posters here.  I saw it over the weekend and had a total blast.  I thought the performances were really strong, especially Alex Brightman, who is killing it up there.  To read some of these posters saying "it was the worst Broadway performance I have EVER seen" just makes me stop reading the assessment right there.  I also loved Leslie Kritzer, like the rest of you, and I loved the latin number in Act 2. I also thought the Act 2 opener (with all of the Beetlejuices) was a showstopper.  The audience I was in lost their mind after that one.  It's my favorite choreography of the season by way.   On the critical side, I do agree that some of the jokes fell flat and there were some slow sections, but they have two weeks until opening.  I am confident all of those issues will be solved.  And as for the changes to the story, I think they are entirely necessary.  The movie basically doesn't have a plot, and that would not have worked on stage (at all).  I like that they fleshed out the characters in a fun way.

And I'll say it again, go ahead and criticize a show, but do it intelligently and stop being mean.  I feel like there is so much gleeful hatred on these boards for every show, no matter what.  The audience I was with certainly didn't hate the show.  Plus it's selling out, so I think there will be a lot of full audiences enjoying this one in the future.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#168BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/4/19 at 5:18pm

Who CARES if someone else hated something you liked?  Does it take away from YOUR enjoyment?  I'm seeing this in a few weeks and HOPE that I like it, but we'll see what happens.  People have different tastes, why can't that be accepted?

I LOVED Natasha, Pierre.  L.O.V.E.D.   I know people that absolutely loathed it.  So what.  Big whoop. Let people be.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

YvanEhtNioj
#169BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/4/19 at 8:15pm

RumTumJM said: "Are they doing regular, daily rush tickets for this or just that weekly game show thing?

If they are doing daily, what's the price for the tickets?
"

Theres a daily rush  - $43

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#170BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 10:30am

I saw Beetlejuice last night, and I was surprised at how much I loved it!  I had seen Tootsie the night before, and was deeply disappointed in that one, particularly Yazbek's score.  Hard to believe it was the same guy who wrote The Band's Visit!  Anyway, IMHO, Beetlejuice is the most cohesive, well-made musical comedy this year! 

The songs are tuneful with a nice pop/rock edge, the lyrics are often insanely clever, and the characters are fully developed - the actors portraying them all have moments to shine, especially for me, Leslie Kritzer, who is balls to the walls hilarious!!  And Sophie Ann Caruso!  WOW!  Look out Tony Awards!  And count me in the camp that found Alex Brightman's Beetlejuice an absolute delight from start to finish.  

How refreshing to finally have a show where we care about the lead character (Lydia) and who experiences change and growth by the end of the show (and so does Beetlejuice!).  Lydia's last solo brought tears to my eyes, and I certainly never expected that at this show!  

Thrillingly surprised all in all!  

YvanEhtNioj
#171BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 12:52pm

About 10 my friends went to see this the other day and they all said they had fun. Maybe not high-quality theatre but it seems like the majority of people are actually having a pretty good time. 

zainmax
#172BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 1:54pm

I also liked it!

leefowler
#173BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 2:55pm

Count me in as someone else who doesn't get the anger towards this show. I went last night expecting to hate it based on the comments on this board, and found myself loving it.

It's not perfect. I enjoyed the music, but found the rhyming embarrassingly sloppy. Alex's "character" voice can be irritating, although I eventually made peace with it. The set and direction are terrific, and the book is funny and very solidly constructed. Second only to The Prom (a show I'm partial to) this show felt like a hit from beginning to end.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

zainmax
#174BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 3:28pm

leefowler said: "Count me in as someone else who doesn't get the anger towards this show. I went last night expecting to hate it based on the comments on this board, and found myself loving it.

It's not perfect. I enjoyed the music, but found the rhyming embarrassingly sloppy. Alex's "character" voice can be irritating, although I eventually made peace with it. The set and direction are terrific, and the book is funny and very solidly constructed. Second only to The Prom (a show I'm partial to) this show felt like a hit from beginning to end.
"

I agree,

I can't really say my problems with Eddie Perfect's music. There are some good moments, but then he moves onto another melody, and it's not really structured well. Also, I think that he should stay away from rap.

Updated On: 4/5/19 at 03:28 PM

Videos