pixeltracker

BCEFA Flea Market 2018 Collectors Unite!- Page 8

BCEFA Flea Market 2018 Collectors Unite!

northlandfan
#175Extra stuff
Posted: 10/1/18 at 9:17pm

Just returned back to Montreal after having spent a few days in New York City including the full Sunday at the flea market!
This is my third time at the flea market and each time it just gets better and better. The weather was great for shopping and the pickings were the best I’ve ever seen. Maybe I was just lucky being at the right table at the right time but I obtained many items I never even knew existed for certain Broadway shows. I would love all of your help to know some detailed information on the items listed below including if they are commonly seen and If they are highly sought after/their value?
The first table I encountered was the best table as 80% of my purchases came from there. I needed three bags in order to carry them away!
The first item was a dear Evan Hansen torso pillow from second stage.5 bucks!!
Hello dolly flip books for one dollar. I bought 10 of them!!
The bands visit hard cover book which I presume is for Tony voters for five dollars.
Dear Evan Hansen tony hardcover voters book for $10
A Wicked playbill which was sitting alone on the table for 5 dollars in mint condition.Only after I arrive back at the hotel that I realize that it was signed by many of the original members including Idina and Kristen on the cover and amazingly enough is the opening night play bill as well!!Anyone know it’s value?
Three tall women soft cover gorgeous picture books for three dollars each. I took two. Not sure if these are sold at the theater.
Having seen Bruce Springsteen the night before I was seeking out any autographed playbills and was delighted to find two at one of the tables. Prices were initially $250 each but they let them go for 175 at the end of the day. These were opening night play bills as well!! Bought both!
Also picked up a pack of 25 Bruce Springsteen invitations to the opening night after party for five dollars!
Bands visit ?thick coaster in a gift box ...1 dollar
Pretty woman handkerchief with Garry Marshall monogram name in a gift box. Three dollars
Curious if anybody else saw any Bruce Springsteen special merchandise aside from the regular and pride play bills. By the way the show is simply amazing!
Quite disappointed in the pretty woman table as their prices were outrageous and strangely enough decided to raise certain prices at the end of the day. Bizzarre!
Need some help on one of the books I bought. It was for from The Great Comet that came in a box with a letter sealed and many other inserts in a grey cover box. Is this the version that was sold in stores because I have no idea of its origin.They were charging eight dollars for this item.Did they produce many?
Come from away and curious incident of the dog in the nighttime Tony voter picture books. Didn’t even know they existed? Three dollars each
Met Tyne Daly who is nice enough to take a picture with us!
Also met Euan Morton who was kind enough to chat near the Hamilton table.. I only realize later that he is the father of young Sheldon! Wondering if he still is working on Broadway or in films these days!
I am awaiting all of your responses/comments. Thank you!!

Updated On: 10/1/18 at 09:17 PM

smidge
#176Extra stuff
Posted: 10/1/18 at 10:41pm

Also met Euan Morton who was kind enough to chat near the Hamilton table.. I only realize later that he is the father of young Sheldon! Wondering if he still is working on Broadway or in films these days!

Euan is currently playing the King in the Broadway company of Hamilton.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#177Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 12:42am

I definitely think this year in terms of crowds and such was better than last year even though every year it's definitely super crowded. I got there around 9:30-9:45 and it wasn't too bad other than the previously mentioned Mean Girls table which I still successfully got access to despite the crowd. 

I always look forward to Flea Market and have never been disappointed and this year's weather couldn't have been more perfect and I had a blast just running around from table to table and running into a lot of friends and familiar faces. 

I got: 

A Book of Mormon "Super Spooky Wooky" Spooky Mormon Hell Dream hat [$5]

Mean Girls Tony Voter Book [$5]

Kinky Boots tote bag [$1]

Broadway Cares Flea Market tote bag [$5]

Frozen cast recording [$5]

Les Mis 2014 souvenir program [$5]

Damian "Too Gay to Function" Burn Book page signed by Grey Henson [$10]

Myles McHale's name slider from the Mean Girls DC production cast board [$5]

I Meddle Hello Dolly t-shirt [$5]

Frozen t-shirt [$2 - a gift for my aunt]. 

On Your Feet rubber bracelet [Free]

Mean Girls five colors pen [A gift from a friend]

A friend and I both went in for a photo with Barrett Wilbert Weed and Ashley Park, so I put in $5. 

My favorite purchase of the day was a set of signed 1 year anniversary window cards from Anastasia. I had been wanting these for so long and last year the Warrant posters prices wouldn't drop, so I gave up. This year I had basically resigned myself to not getting them because I didn't think the prices would drop. Around 4:30, I got calls and texts from friends telling me they were dropping the prices on them to half [They had originally been $50 a piece]. The lovely stage manager for Anastasia gave myself, my friend, and her wife a deal on the posters and we split the cost - I ultimately paid $45 for all 3 posters - paying $15 per poster and paying less than the price of one. I truly have to thank the incredibly sweet Anastasia stage manager and my two friends for making my Broadway Flea Market dreams come true. 

Extra stuff

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 10/2/18 at 12:42 AM

VintageSnarker
#178Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:08am

If anyone got one of the OOTI goats, can you please post a photo?

I'm regretting not grabbing Hedwig windowcards for a friend but I don't know which ones (they pretty much had everyone) he would have wanted and it would have been a pain to haul them around since that was the first table I hit up. 

I find the auction stories fascinating. Especially the bidding wars. I always skip it because I'm too tired to hang around with my haul.

Lauren2
#179Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:35am

Don't buy the HP playbills! They are free if you just send to the Stage Manager!

Lauren2
#180Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:39am

I would love to see what that looks like! Can you either post it or DM me? 

theaterwiz414
#181Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 6:15am

haterobics said: "Not seeing any Bette-signed Dolly stuff, so that takes the sting out of not attending this year... Extra stuff "

There was but it was a silent auction item I believe. 

theaterwiz414
#182Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 6:36am

Wick3 said: "BTW, did any of you watch the live auction? I was there from 630p-730p and noticed the same people tend to bid again and again (mostly from the front center area). I don't know how people get those paddles but the live auction always seem so exciting and entertaining to me.

Someday when I have at least $5000 to donate, I want to be in those chairs and bid (and hopefully win!)
"

I came back towards the end of the day to see if there were any gems floating around and found myself watching the auction. I think the highest amount paid when I was watching (6:15-the last item) was $11,000. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was either one of the backstage experiences or Ben Platt's cast. It was really quite something to hear what people would pay for things. I honestly don't remember the lowest amount bid for a lot, but $1,300 stands out in my head (the green-ifying Wicked experience, I think, because I thought, I could have done that!(. I'm not 100% about either of these though. But it was SO fun to watch. 

Also just a note that the auctioneer was fantastic!  I hope he does it again next year. 

hollebolle
#183Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 9:16am

VintageSnarker said: "If anyone got one of the OOTI goats, can you please post a photo?"

Here's the goat! This one came in my friend's mystery bag from the Wicked table.

Extra stuff

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#184Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 9:25am

theaterwiz414 said: "Wick3 said: "BTW, did any of you watch the live auction? I was there from 630p-730p and noticed the same people tend to bid again and again (mostly from the front center area). I don't know how people get those paddles but the live auction always seem so exciting and entertaining to me.

Someday when I have at least $5000 to donate, I want to be in those chairs and bid (and hopefully win!)
"

I came back towards the end of the day to see if there were any gems floating around and found myself watching the auction. I think the highest amount paid when I was watching (6:15-the last item) was $11,000. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was either one of the backstage experiences or Ben Platt's cast. It was really quite something to hear what people would pay for things. I honestly don't remember the lowest amount bid for a lot, but $1,300 stands out in my head (the green-ifying Wicked experience, I think, because I thought, I could have done that!(. I'm not 100% about either of these though. But it was SO fun to watch.

Also just a note that the auctioneer was fantastic! I hope he does it again next year.

Auctioneer was fantastic overall but I'll admit he made these weird faces when the starting bid (which was the max bid from the online auction) was low.

From the BWW article the highest bid this year was $13,000 for the musical phase "you will be found" from DEH signed by pasek, paul, and Ben Platt. They only had one available but offered to get another one made to the second highest bidder for $13,000 and that bidder agreed.

I agree I think it's crazy high but if people are willing to donate that amount of money then good for them! I'm just jealous lol. I did hear from some people I talked to that some bidders are there representing their employer which made sense since corporations may have higher budgets than the average person.  

BroadwayNoob
#185Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 10:29am

When would an employer want to bid on anything there?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#186Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 2:12pm

Several items in live auction are either rare items that can be used to display on the wall of an office or are rare experiences like opening night packages including tickets to the party afterwards that can be used to entertain clients.

northlandfan
#187Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:14pm

Please tell me how you post a pic below your description on this site as I’d like to do the same in the future! Thx

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#188Extra stuff
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:18pm

northlandfan said: "Please tell me how you post a pic below your description on this site as I’d like to do the same in the future! Thx"

Post the pics on imgur.com or some other site, and get the URL of the image (one ending in .gif, .jpg. etc), and then paste that link into the URL of the dialog box after you click the picture icon when you reply here.

grumpyoptimist
#189Extra stuff
Posted: 10/3/18 at 3:27am

Wick3 said: "BTW, did any of you watch the live auction? I was there from 630p-730p and noticed the same people tend to bid again and again (mostly from the front center area). I don't know how people get those paddles but the live auction always seem so exciting and entertaining to me.

"

If you end up buying a certain amount (or donate regularly to BCEFA or are a regular bidder on their eBay auctions), they send an email offering you a seat (helpful hint: always use the same credit or debit card). I get them, but the two years I took them up on it the bidding was out of my price range and i felt kinda trapped, so I don't request a seat anymore. 

For the higher priced items, it's like four people who are back year over year who tend to win those in the silent auctions.  A lady next to me during one of the silent auctions said she dropped $20k last year, but this year she was going to be "more disciplined" -- she proceeded to plunk down $3500 for two items (combined) while I was standing there (before 11:30a).  It's never a good sign when you're bidding against someone who the auctioneer knows by full name.  One of the four (the dude who always is wearing a vest) recognizes me because we seem to have similar taste, meaning he outbids me on stuff (four items this year), and we always exchange pleasantries.  I've taken to jokingly referring to him as "my nemesis" to the friend I hang out with at Flea.  

rodrigo_ca
#190Extra stuff
Posted: 10/4/18 at 12:22am

Sorry to interrupt your hauls, but how easy it is to find stuff like scripts around? Especially if I'm not looking for something that much specific?

theaterwiz414
#191Extra stuff
Posted: 10/4/18 at 8:35am

rodrigo_ca said: "Sorry to interrupt your hauls, but how easy it is to find stuff like scripts around? Especially if I'm not looking for something that much specific?"

I'm 90% sure I saw boxes on at least a couple of tables that were labeled "scripts", so I'm guessing they're around, you just have to be patient enough to dig through for them. 

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#192Extra stuff
Posted: 10/4/18 at 9:35am

BroadwayNoob said: "When would an employer want to bid on anything there?"

The employee might also be a personal assistant to the employer.   So it is actually for the personal use of the employer.   

Updated On: 10/4/18 at 09:35 AM

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#193Extra stuff
Posted: 10/4/18 at 9:37am

rodrigo_ca said: "Sorry to interrupt your hauls, but how easy it is to find stuff like scripts around? Especially if I'm not looking for something that much specific?"

I also saw boxes of scripts, some were used, some were the type you get when you license the show to produce.   

I picked up two scripts for a $5 each--The Visit and It's Only A Play.  These were the slick produced scripts they sell in the gift shop.   They were mixed in with the souvenir books at one of the booths.

thecometbringsnofear Profile Photo
thecometbringsnofear
#194Extra stuff
Posted: 10/4/18 at 10:56am

I will echo the people who said the crowds were more tolerable this year, although I still strongly dislike that they don't fully shut down the streets. 

I got: 

-A Deaf West Spring Awakening poster ($1) 

- An Angels in America plastic cup ($1) 

-An Angels in America tony voter book ($3) 

-Oh, Hello poster ($3 I think) 

-Shakespeare In the Park Midsummer quote sign ($5) 

-The Great Comet mug ($5) 

-Fun Home tour poster ($5) 

-Once On This Island poster ($3) 

-Hedwig pin ($3) 

Playbills: 

Next to Normal (Off-Broadway and Broadway) 

Here Lies Love original cover 

The Scottsboro Boys 

Lysistrata Jones 

A New Brain 

How I Learned To Drive 

Angels In America (Original production, replacement cast for Perestroika) 

Merrily We Roll Along (Recent LA production) 

Updated On: 10/4/18 at 10:56 AM

northlandfan
#195Extra stuff
Posted: 10/4/18 at 11:49am

I believe I picked up the same Angels in America Tony voter book. Was yours an oversized book with an opaque cover as the first and last page and inside filled with gorgeous pictures with captions from reviews from the press. I also picked up mine for three dollars most likely at the same table as you. They have great stuff at the table including voter books for mean girls dear Evan Hansen carousel three tall women Great comet(gorgeous box filled with goodies!) and SpongeBob SquarePants. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the prices so low. All under five dollars each. I presume they are worth a lot more than that to collectors of these shows!
Curious if there were any rarities such as signed items or Tony voter books for show such as Harry Potter or Groundhog Day.
I did not manage to get to the curtain call table which had items from close shows. Can somebody tell me if there were any interesting or rare items at that table.

Updated On: 10/4/18 at 11:49 AM

annang
#196Extra stuff
Posted: 10/5/18 at 8:31am

If any of you who got the Angels in America Tony Voter Book or other rare Angels items are ever looking to sell or trade them, please let me know. I missed all the Angels items, and I’m kicking myself.

I can’t complain too much, because I got an original Hamilton Window Card signed by Tommy Kail, the Waitress and Great Comet Tony Voter packs, a bunch of those plastic wine sippy cups to add to my collection, and I met Norm Lewis. Great day!

StardustsChild Profile Photo
StardustsChild
#197Extra stuff
Posted: 10/5/18 at 10:23pm

northlandfan said: "I believe I picked up the same Angels in America Tony voter book. Was yours an oversized book with an opaque cover as the first and last page and inside filled with gorgeous pictures with captions from reviews from the press. I also picked up mine for three dollars most likely at the same table as you. They have great stuff at the table including voter books for mean girls dear Evan Hansen carousel three tall women Great comet(gorgeous box filled with goodies!) and SpongeBob SquarePants. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the prices so low. All under five dollars each. I presume they are worth a lot more than that to collectors of these shows!
Curious if there were any rarities such as signed items or Tony voter books for show such as Harry Potter or Groundhog Day.
I did not manage to get to the curtain call table which had items from close shows. Can somebody tell me if there were any interesting or rare items at that table.

"

I picked up the Groundhog Day full OG cast signed window card, but I didn't see anything else signed for GD.

"Life is already so dark. If you have got the talent to make it brighter and bring people hope & joy, why would you withhold that?"

northlandfan
#198Extra stuff
Posted: 10/6/18 at 1:37am

How much was it and which table was it at? Did they have many at that table?

thecometbringsnofear Profile Photo
thecometbringsnofear
#199Extra stuff
Posted: 10/6/18 at 12:11pm

The Angels voter book was at the Actors Equity table I believe? It was near Wicked and The Lion King. We got to the table around 10:15 and got 3 of the programs, and it looked like they still had a few more. They were $3. 

Videos