pixeltracker

KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing- Page 8

KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#175KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 11:56am

There is no way producers would let these tickets go up on TKTS, they’d rather paper them and give them out to fans camping out at the stage door who couldn’t get tickets. Roth’s team really messed up this closing. I know they probably wanted to wait to the final performance tickets up for sale until they could confirm the number friends of the production tickets they were giving out, but the fact that these only went on sale a month ago and were all priced at a 50% mark up is just bad business. Kinky Boots never really developed the stan following amongst other long running shows. It doesn’t help that the show’s closing cast isn’t really anyone that would drive anyone into a frenzy over. I saw the show yesterday for the first time since it was in previews and thought the cast was great, but for a show that quickly fell into stunt casting after the original cast left, Kelso and Ghee aren’t names. Many on this board thought they’d try and pull a Hairspray and bring back Porter and Sands for the final few weeks, especially since it was known most of the principals contracts were up just prior to the closing date. Also because that was the initial plan when the show was expected to close last January before Brandon Urie’s summer run played to SRO crowds. Kinky Boots is a piece of big hearted fun in a sea of dreary musical dramas that have over taken Broadway in recent years. Its sad to see it go, but its even sadder to see it go out like this.

Zamedy154
#176KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 11:57am

I was just going to provide an update but ACL2006 beat me to it! They opened the box office a little early too. I’m surprised there are enough tickets left to satisfy everyone in line, but happy everyone in line will (likely) get a ticket.

The box office guy from the theatre was super friendly. He said it’s a great but emotional day. He added the orchestra is not available to the public and former cast members would be in attendance. I asked if Cyndi will be here. He said he “couldn’t say” but added she was here last night. I’m expecting a big speech after curtain call from the creative team just like at the closing of HAIRSPRAY (also with Harvey and Jerry).

Three hours to go!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#177KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 12:03pm

bdn223 said: "the fact that these only went on sale a month ago and were all priced at a 50% mark up is just bad business."

Making more money is bad business?! If they sold them cheaper, they would all have been on StubHub for more than people had to pay through Ticketmaster...

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#178KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 12:12pm

It's clearly not selling out as people won't even buy those seats in advance for $150... so if the stubhub folks did end up with those tickets early on, we'd only see a last minute fire sale 1-2 hours before starting time.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#179KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 12:13pm

They were offering all remaining rear mezzanine seats for $99(no fees). Should be fantastic!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#180KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 12:16pm

Sooooo excited for everyone who are seeing this grande finale of an amazing show!!! Wish I could be there.

Updated On: 4/7/19 at 12:16 PM

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#181KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 12:34pm

Wish I was going to the closing performance tonight. Hope everyone has a great time - I’m sure we’ll be getting a video of the curtain speeches shortly after the show, as we did with Anastasia.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#182KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 12:55pm

Stark Sands is currently in Mockingbird, so he couldn't close out the show. I saw it when Sands and Porter returned, and I also saw it with J. Harrison Ghee as Lola. I love this show. I was waiting to get a last minute ticket but then my wallet and credit cards were stolen and so ....

Stark Sands did visit the show a few days back and posted this very sweet instagram video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv4_mYSDsbW/

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#183KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 1:06pm

poisonivy2 said: "Stark Sands is currently in Mockingbird, so he couldn't close out the show. I saw it when Sands and Porter returned, and I also saw it with J. Harrison Ghee as Lola. I love this show. I was waiting to get a last minute ticket but then my wallet and credit cards were stolen and so ....

Stark Sands did visit the show a few days back and posted this very sweet instagram video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv4_mYSDsbW/
"

OMG, that video made smile ear-to-ear and cry tears of joy at the same time! With the show still very fresh in my mind from last month, my heart is so full every time I think of it.  

How remarkable today is going to be for those in attendance. Expecting a full report when the show is over. KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing

Updated On: 4/7/19 at 01:06 PM

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#184KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 1:42pm

I passed Brendan Urie on the street yesterday around Port Authority. Wonder if he’ll be there today!

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#185KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 5:48pm

suicidalmickeymouse said: "I passed Brendan Urie on the street yesterday around Port Authority. Wonder if he’ll be there today!"

According to twitter he was at the last performance.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#186KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 6:49pm

My goodness, the energy from this cast & audience today should've blown the roof off. Ghee did everything extra he could do as Lola and got a much deserved thunderous standing ovation after "Hold Me In Your Heart". Kelso was the best I've of him as Charlie in my three times seeing him. Loved his ad-lib in Act 2 about Cyndi, Harvey & Jerry. Kelso also got a solid standing O after "Soul of a Man". The entire ensemble was on FIRE and visibly emotional during the finale and curtain call. Was living for "Land of Lola" & "Sex...Heel". No speeches, but Cyndi, Harvey, Jerry plus three others(sorry) all came out in their Kinky Boots for the curtain call as well as all the swings. This show will be missed. Can't tell you what celebrities we're there as I couldn't see from my seat in the mezzanine.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#187KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 7:32pm

Also, Daniel Stewart Sherman got a partial standing O for his entrance/cell phone speech in the beginning and took a minute to compose himself before starting his speech. I'm amazed so many OBC remained in the show, or took breaks and returned at some point. Those Angels were extra fierce today.

Zamedy154
#188KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 8:55pm

The theatre was indeed electric from the moment ‘Don’ walked on stage.

Highlights!

-I’ve said it before. J. Harrison Ghee IS Lola. I believe this is the third time I’ve seen him and he NEVER disappoints. He’s fabulous in every way without being over the top. He was visibly moved by the long, standing ovation that followed ‘Hold Me In Your Heart.’

-Speaking of ‘Hold Me In Your Heart,’ I wanted to kill the guy in center mezz I believe who kept going ‘WOOOOO!” throughout the show. No doubt the audience was into it, but his ‘WOOO’s were a bit much, and he did it just as Ghee hit the second to last note. So annoying.

-Everyone got entrance applause.

-All the die hards were upstairs in the mezz. The orchestra was one big reunion. I guess I understand why they did it that way, but the fans made this show a huge success. The few times the cast was mugging to the orchestra section, I wanted to say ‘up here! We paid for our tickets!’

-No speech from Harvey or Cyndi. I think everyone was waiting for it, but it never happened. The curtain didn’t come down again so it was a tad bit awkward. The cast eventually all left stage right or left. Appropriately, Jerry and Cyndi were the last to walk off.

-I totally missed Kelso saying ‘Jerry! Cyndi! Harvey!’ I’m assuming he did that when everyone walked out on him right before ‘Soul?’ THAT would explain why everyone was laughing and applauding at that point (I thought they were applauding everyone sticking it to Charlie).

-Kelso sure can sing, and it’s very cool he was part of the OBC. But if I’m being honest, he was my least favorite of all the Charlie’s I’ve seen (and that includes understudy John Jeffrey Martin, who I think is absolutely adorable). I just found myself rooting for him less than every other Charlie.

-Saw David Cook going into the theatre. He was SO good in this show.

-I’m in love with OBC member Jennifer Perry. I could never keep my eyes off her. So fresh, so funny EVERY TIME. And so nice. I was waiting at the barricades by the stage door before the show with about three dozen others. She said hi to everybody as she was heading into the theatre.

-Harvey came out the stage door before the show and headed down the street. SO NICE. He seemed to be on a bit of a mission but still stopped to take pictures, selfies and thank the fans.

-All the Angels were ELECTRIC today. There had been one or two who appeared bored the first two times I saw it on Broadway. Definitely not the case today. And Kevin Smith Kirkwood has been with the show from the start, right? Always loved watching him.

-Anyone know why they apparently retired/replaced the green Angel outfit in Raise You Up/Just Be with the less fun white outfit?

Thank you, KB for giving us six years of pure joy. I’ll miss you, dear friend.

KathyNYC2
#189KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 9:16pm

ACL2006 said: "No speeches, but Cyndi, Harvey, Jerry plus three others(sorry) all came out in their Kinky Boots for the curtain call as well as all the swings."

Two of the three...Daryl Roth, producer and Stephen Oremus, musical director. Not sure about the third. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#190KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 9:17pm

-I totally missed Kelso saying ‘Jerry! Cyndi! Harvey!’ I’m assuming he did that when everyone walked out on him right before ‘Soul?’ THAT would explain why everyone was laughing and applauding at that point (I thought they were applauding everyone sticking it to Charlie). 

Yes. It's usually "Pat! Maggie! Trish!".

From Twitter reports, Brendon Urie, David Cook & Kirstin Maldonado were there. Plus a ton of alumni. No word if Billy Porter or Stark Sands were there.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#191KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 9:38pm

Go to Billy Porter's Instagram. His "story" has an extended account of his day attending the final performance of Kinky Boots. He filmed the entire closing number, and has pictures of him with Stark Sands (also present), and Annaleigh Ashford as well as many other alumni. Very sweet to see that Kinky Boots still seems to be a family.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#192KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 10:03pm

Here are a couple low quality iPhone pics of the curtain call. What a fabulous performance! Thought the mezz was going to come crashing down as it bounced as everyone was standing and applauding during “Raise You Up.” 

When was the silly box/sword scene removed from the Land of Lola sequence? Never cared for it and glad to see it was axed. Did t do anything to advance the story. 

Loved Andy’s “Harve! Daryl! Cindy!” ad lib. 

Cindy and Daryl were in the audience. 

In the men’s Lounge line at intermission there was a log of hugs and kisses and “ Happy Closing.” Some of the guys looked familiar but couldn’t place them. Maybe producers? 

Pic 1

Pic 2

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#193KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 11:06pm

Awww. Billy, Jordan Roths, and Jerry Mitchell's instagrams are full of love and memories.

The main thing that made me really fall in love with the show, besides the message, were the bright and colorful costumes. Even though I’m sad to see it close I’m so happy that the show that is taking over is just as bright and vibrant. #HeySistaSoulSista

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#194KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/7/19 at 11:35pm

Thank you for the pix! I'll miss this show very much (got to see the show a month ago and felt content with it.) I'm so glad they produced this on bway and that alums came back to see the show.

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#195KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/8/19 at 12:28am

Was Taylor Louderman present?

Akitarent
#196KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/8/19 at 12:48am

LOVED everything. The  "Cyndi, Harvey & Jerry" was fantastic.

The only thing I wished was the gave speeches at the curtain call. I know the creative team addressed the cast/crew at the after party but it would have been nice for a little something more climatic after such stellar performances. I shouldn't be surprised since the way of thanking fans was to jack up ticket prices.  I was also surprised the playbills weren't anything special (no closing night sticker, etc) But overall fantastic last!  

Here are a few photos I took.  More will be posted on our Facebook in the upcoming week (Facebook: Broadway Sings for Pride). ‍ 

KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closingKINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closingKINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closingKINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closingKINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#197KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/8/19 at 1:56am

Porter and Sands were both there. Electric show today, super emotional. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#198KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/8/19 at 5:40am

FYI, there are several videos out there of the finale & curtain call for those interested. It was like a rock concert for the finale.

Also, Stephen Tewksbury(longtime cast member), returned for the final show. not sure if he returned to do the final week, but he wasn't listed in the Playbill.

treblemakerz Profile Photo
treblemakerz
#199KINKY BOOTS- sets April 7th closing
Posted: 4/8/19 at 6:05am

DiscoCrows said: "Was Taylor Louderman present?"

Taylor was not present. Supposedly she wanted to go, but was unable to miss the Mean Girls matinee due to several cast members already being on vacation and nearly every swing already in use.

Happy trails to such a wonderful, colorful show!

Videos