#175TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 6:12pm

The evil Christian Borle 

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#176TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 6:18pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "I love Rannells but this feels like an upgrade."

Came on here just I say that and couldn’t agree more. Rannells is adorable AF, and a formidable actor, but Borle is remarkable in everything he does.  I had no interest in this show until now. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#177TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 6:20pm

Borle is a wonderful actor but he let me down a bit in Some Like It Hot.

Regardless, this is going to flop badly.

Oh look, a bibu!

joshdog2014
#178TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 7:15pm

As a fan of Christian Borle and Andrew Rannells and this show, this is very interesting! I saw it twice in London and while I loved Rannells in it (and thought the emotion he brought was very good), he didn’t feel essential to the show the way Katie Brayben did (and I’d even say Zubin Varla felt more important than him).  

I do wonder though if Christian Borle be able to play the goofiness/campiness quite as well as Andrew Rannells though, even if he’s been very good in other comedic roles. He would be good at leaning into the sinister side while still keeping a comedic tone, so I really hope they make use of that.

Updated On: 6/26/24 at 07:15 PM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#179TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 7:32pm

I think that Borle’s Tony winning performance as Black Stache shows that he can do camp just fine!

I am now curious if Borle got the money Rannels was asking for but the producers wouldn’t give him. Borle is a bigger star with two Tony Awards, so I’m guessing…yes. I even have to wonder if Borle had expressed interest in the role during Rannels’ negotiations, which is why they were willing to let him walk away…

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#180TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 7:35pm

I truly could not have cared less about this show until this announcement. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#181TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 8:04pm

He gave everything he had in little shop of horrors. Even the beginning when he’s just a bum on the streets, he was perfection.  I enjoyed him in that more than some like it hot.  I felt like he was playing second fiddler to j Harrison ghee.  I think he will be so good in this. 

JSquared2
#182TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 8:07pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Borle is a wonderful actor but he let me down a bit inSome Like It Hot.

Regardless, this is going to flop badly.
"

Always nice to hear from the Voice of Doom.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#183TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 8:42pm

Falsettos fans going crazy on social right now that Marvin is replacing Whizzer. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#184TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:00pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I am now curious if Borle got the money Rannels was asking for but the producers wouldn’t give him. Borle is a bigger star with two Tony Awards, so I’m guessing…yes. I even have to wonder if Borle had expressed interest in the role during Rannels’ negotiations, which is why they were willing to let him walk away…"

I'm a big fan of Borle and he's a name among Broadway fans. But Rannells has the higher profile career outside of Broadway, and would have a more direct impact on ticket sales. 

If Borle was offered more money than Rannells, I think it would be more about him having leverage. The show had a limited window of time to lock in a replacement. Especially because people who had already bought tickets were demanding (and receiving) refunds. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#186TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:06pm

In what actual universe is Borle a bigger star than Rannels. Certainly not this one. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#187TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:09pm

I love Borle and happy he's working. But even he isn't going to make me pay to see this.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#188TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:14pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Borle is a bigger star"

No he's not.

Rannells is a perennial talkshow guest, he's written a book, his last two Broadway shows recouped, and he's appeared in countless TV shows and films. Rannells also, importantly, has more of a following in the gay community, an audience base known for buying tickets. He may be a "that guy" actor, but he is still more recognizable than Borle, who almost exclusively works in the theatre and was just on Broadway in a show that didn't recoup. His two Tony Awards are pretty meaningless as far as ticket sales and salaries go.

Keep in mind that we don't know the specifics of Team Rannells' ask. Money might not have been the issue. It could have been length of contract or an option to leave earlier or take a hiatus for a film/TV job. (Or money.) Borle is known for committing a year to a show because he doesn't really work outside the theatre. Borle and Rannells also have the same agent (CAA's Joe Machota), but this stuff happens and reps have vast client lists.

Now, having said all that.... I think Borle feels more right for this role, especially where the sleeziness is concerned. They could have done so much worse as far as replacements go!

Updated On: 6/26/24 at 10:14 PM

Broadway Flash
#189TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:54pm

They obviously don’t care about putting bigger names in the show.  if they did, Tammy would have at least been played by someone like Jessie Mueller or Laura bell Bundy.  The key to selling the show is 1. The quality of the show and 2. Elton John.  I already feel like they’re gonna do big stuff with their marketing.  I like that video they just put out.  
Also, Christian borle was on smash.  It’s not like he’s never done anything outside the theatre.  

bway1430
#190TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/27/24 at 2:06am

"Going to flop badly" based on what?!!

Nobody has seen this version of the show, including you, so why the negativity?

It was a hot ticket in London (albeit at a small theatre) and got more than its share of decent reviews but the creatives have taken nothing for granted and redeveloped/revised the show for its Broadway run.

The negativity is just so boring and frankly unecessary.

Updated On: 6/27/24 at 02:06 AM

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#191TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/27/24 at 4:04am

Wow, I'm sure the producers are disappointed and were counting on Runnels for some name value, given his recent success.  

gibsons2
#192TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/27/24 at 8:53am

Any discount codes for this yet? Thanks

Broadway Flash
#193TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/27/24 at 9:39am

At least they got some attention outta this.  Probably helped them because they are sandwiched in between sunset boulevard and gypsy.  They need to break through this fall and get people talking 

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#194TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/27/24 at 1:10pm

I wonder if they might go for a bigger name for Jerry Falwell. It's a great part, great songs and won Zubin Varla the Olivier Award. I'd go as far as to say that it's the best male role in the show. Jim is always in Tammy's shadow

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#195TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/27/24 at 1:18pm

Broadway Flash said: "They obviously don’t care about putting bigger names in the show. if they did, Tammy would have at least been played by someone like JessieMueller or Laura bell Bundy."

It's splitting hairs when comparing someone like Mueller or Laura Bell to Brayben, as far as name value is concerned. The difference in drawing power is close to meaningless, and they've both been in flop shows of late.

If Katie Brayben was great in London and got a ton of acclaim for the role and won an Olivier (and if they were relying on Rannells to sell some tix), that's a reasonable justification to put her up in New York for the run of the show.

Being "Broadway famous" means nothing to the general population, and theatre lovers CANNOT sustain a musical, period.

Your arguments just make you sound ignorant.

bway1430
#196TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/27/24 at 2:28pm

I am also curious how they will cast Falwell, but Brooks Ashmanskas would be spot on. 

My one fear is that they would bring over some of the London supporting cast which, Zubin Varla aside, were not good. Terrible accents and over-exaggerated performances that have hopefully been toned down in the revised version.

Updated On: 6/27/24 at 02:28 PM

Broadway Flash
#197TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/27/24 at 2:33pm

They don’t want stars. They probably could have gotten a bigger name for Tammy and decided not to.  They will sell the show through other means and frankly, I think it’s the front runner for winning best musical at this point. Betty boop, wonderful world, maybe happy ending, swept away, redwood, death becomes her definitely won’t.  We’ll see how queen of Versailles does and operation mincemeat could win. It actually beat Tammy Faye in London 

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#198TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/27/24 at 8:37pm

Broadway Flash said: "They obviously don’t care about putting bigger names in the show. if they did, Tammy would have at least been played by someone like JessieMueller or Laura bell Bundy.
Also, Christian borle was on smash. It’s not like he’s never done anything outside the theatre.
"

The far bigger story is a complete unknown who becomes a star overnight. Ok, that might be a bit of an exageration, but Katie Brayben got nothing but rave reviews across the board. She carries the show and delivers some knock out songs that will get her some great notices and a tony nom next year.

At least I hope it does. The show and the NYC run have all been planned around Brayben playing Tammy Faye. The creative team have bet a lot on her. No pressure then Katie...

Updated On: 6/27/24 at 08:37 PM

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#199TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 6/27/24 at 8:51pm

bway1430 said: "I am also curious how they will cast Falwell, butBrooks Ashmanskas would be spot on.

My one fear is that they would bring over some of the London supporting cast which, Zubin Varla aside, were not good. Terrible accents and over-exaggerated performances that have hopefully been toned down in the revised version.
"

Please not Brooks Ashmanskas. He always just plays Brooks Ashmanskas and Falwell isn't a gay comedy character.

I'm hoping the roles you refer to, Jan and Paul, have been toned down at least 90% of where they were and that they have cut/changed their act 2 song.

Whilst Andrew Rannells might have been a bigger box office draw, if you saw him in The Book of Mormon, then you've basically seen him in Tammy Faye.

Videos