pixeltracker

Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton - Page 9

Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#200Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/20/16 at 8:36pm

MyLife said: "I saw Sydney and Austin, and while I was disappointed in Austin's performance I found Sydney's to be just as fantastic, moving, genuine, and effective as Leslie's. I understand people's initial reaction saying no one can do Burr other than Leslie. I'm sure people thought that about the Rent OBS too. People will believe what they want until they are shown otherwise. I would be thrilled if Sydney could take over full-time."

First time I saw the show it was with Sydney as well. I arrived literally 1-2 mins late so I didn't have time to check the playbill until intermission and I thought Sydney was Leslie! My bad.. but anyway, having seen it with Leslie, I think both are great! From a physical appearance point of view, though, I preferred Sydney since he was taller than Renee (I know lame excuse but in my head it looked better.) I thought both of them had their own X-Factor to the show. From following Sydney on twitter, I know he has a small fan base willing to wait it out on the cancellation line if they know beforehand he'll be performing as Burr.

snl89
#201Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/20/16 at 8:57pm

"I'd actually love to see Cynthia as Burr!" 

SO MUCH THIS!!! I saw an article floating around where she mentioned she'd like to play one of the founding fathers, and ever since then I've been so obsessed with the idea of Cynthia!Burr :) That voice on songs like Wait for It and Dear Theodosia *____* 

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

TerrenceIsTheMann
#202Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/20/16 at 9:09pm

"since when is there a required specific ethnicity per character?"
I do wonder if Burr will ever be performed by a white or asian or hispanic actor. Eminem? 

Eminem is definitely more of a Hamilton. If a rapper were to play Burr it would have to be like Chance.

ChiTheaterFan
#203Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/20/16 at 9:44pm

Cynthia as Burr is an amazing idea. 

And I would love to see Odom take on the role of Hamilton as well. But I hope he gets some new original roles coming his way soon. (Although that means he wouldn't be back to Broadway for years so I hope he does other stuff in the meantime. :))

Showface
#204Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/20/16 at 9:56pm

Wick3 said: "gypsy101 said: "since when is there a required specific ethnicity per character?"

I do wonder if Burr will ever be performed by a white or asian or hispanic actor. Eminem? 

"

The role is open to all people of color, so Asian and Hispanic actors do qualify. However, Eminem, does not, as he is white.

Eminem could play King George, but that would awful.

Updated On: 6/20/16 at 09:56 PM

belrowley
#205Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 12:18am

I'm sorry, Eminem as KGIII sounds AMAZING. I just died imagining it.

And curses to whoever suggested Cynthia as Burr - now I'll never be Satisfied if I don't get it :x

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#206Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 12:21am

Michael K Lee just popped into my head. 

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#207Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 12:44am

Michael K. Lee is as Burr has the gears in my head turning. He impressed the pants off of me in Allegiance. I could dig it.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#208Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 12:48am

I think for the king they'll probably stick to effeminate white men.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Broadwayhunk Profile Photo
Broadwayhunk
#209Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 3:23am

The show has been quite open about only auditioning and hiring non-white actors.  This is not a new story.

broadwayguy91
#210Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 3:40am

Conrad Ricamora as Hamilton or Laurens / Philip Hamilton (how well can he rap?)

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#211Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 6:38am

QueenAlice said: "There are indeed union mandated pay "bumps" for an after actor they have won a Tony award for that performance."

No there aren't. It's not an unusual thing for an agent to negotiate into a contract, but it's not standard Equity language. 

AEA AGMA SM
#212Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 12:28pm

elphaba.scares.me said: "QueenAlice said: "There are indeed union mandated pay "bumps" for an after actor they have won a Tony award for that performance."

No there aren't. It's not an unusual thing for an agent to negotiate into a contract, but it's not standard Equity language.
"

elphaba is correct; any Tony Award bump in salary is negotiated individually. The only "bumps" above minimum that Equity will ever negotiate are work related (set moves, understudy/swing payments, etc). The union is smart enough to know that the League would never agree to an across the board bump negotiated into the contract without giving up something HUGE in return. As something that will benefit only a small percentage of actors in each season it's just not something worth it for Equity to pursue. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#213Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 1:18pm

Would I be right is assuming that most leads, however, DO get something in their contracts about it?  

I wonder if Erivo would have had the forsight to do so.....not knowing if this is common in London.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jallenc32
#214Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 1:23pm

SFFrontRow said: "Someone suggested Raul Esparza for a Burr replacement. He does not meet the casting requirements for the role. Check out the requirements -Esparza is not the correct ethnicity."

So Puerto Rican-Americans are sufficiently ethnic, but Cuban-Americans are not?

Liza's Headband
#215Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 1:28pm

dramamama611 said: "Would I be right is assuming that most leads, however, DO get something in their contracts about it?  

I wonder if Erivo would have had the forsight to do so.....not knowing if this is common in London.

"

1. No. You being a "lead" means nothing. For all I know, Alice Ripley negotiated something into her AMERICAN PSYCHO contract as unlikely as it is. It's all about your agent and his/her approach to negotiations with the producers. Nothing else.

2. It wouldn't really be on Erivo to have the "foresight." That would be on her agent and assuming she has one who is competent, I'm sure it was included in negotiations. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#216Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 2:28pm

Broadwayhunk said: "The show has been quite open about only auditioning and hiring non-white actors.  This is not a new story."

How do they audition folks for King George III? 

ChiTheaterFan
#217Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 2:31pm

There was another thread on this when there was all the hullabaloo about the "non-whites" casting notice and they cannot refuse to audition people based on race. Equity rules prohibit it. (And honestly federal anti-discrimination statutes probably do too.) It was explained (don't remember by whom) that they can, however, include race in the specific character descriptions. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#218Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 5:15pm

I understand the concept for the show, but why not in inclusive instead of exclusive? Aren't they just doing what so many ethnic actors have complained about for so long: excluding people from auditioning/being cast in a show? Seems stupid to me that Burrs can't be white, etc. And they make the "bad guy" the white guy? Seems like they're just going about this the wrong way. 

Liza's Headband
#219Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 5:35pm

Ugh. Not this whole thing again. We discussed this at length a few months ago. They aren't saying you cannot audition if you are white. They are saying you won't be cast if you're white, since they are only looking to cast people of color or ethnic diversity. That's not "exclusive." That's how the character breakdown is. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Updated On: 6/21/16 at 05:35 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#220Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 5:57pm

Right. I was discussed ad nauseum, it included a discussion of the artistic impact of the casting choices. Made me think of a lot of things that hadn't come to mind. It was a surprisingly intelligent and interesting discussion...  Until it wasn't.  

Showface
#221Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 6:11pm

RippedMan said: "I understand the concept for the show, but why not in inclusive instead of exclusive? Aren't they just doing what so many ethnic actors have complained about for so long: excluding people from auditioning/being cast in a show? Seems stupid to me that Burrs can't be white, etc. And they make the "bad guy" the white guy? Seems like they're just going about this the wrong way. 

"

Every role (except for King George and Samuel Seabury) was written for people or color. That's how it was written. They might have changed the wording on it, but they still 100% intend on casting it a specific way, and that's how it is. It's not racist and it's not discrimination. 

Besides, white people can still be in the ensemble and play King George.

Updated On: 6/21/16 at 06:11 PM

Showface
#222Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 6:18pm

But, anyway...

I do hope he will be able to do the recording, and I think his comments at THR roundtable about diversity and inclusion were refreshingly honest and needed.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#223Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 7:15pm

broadwayguy91 said: "Conrad Ricamora as Hamilton or Laurens / Philip Hamilton (how well can he rap?)

"

Me thinks his "regular" status on HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER might throw a wrench in that

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Broadwayhunk Profile Photo
Broadwayhunk
#224Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 7:31pm

"They aren't saying you cannot audition if you are white. They are saying you won't be cast if you're white."  OK

Videos