pixeltracker

2017 TONY Awards Performances- Page 9

2017 TONY Awards Performances

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#2002017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/29/17 at 7:55pm

I've said this before, but I can't understand why Scott Rudin is doing this to himself. Not only that, but I can't bear to think of all of the kids around the country that need to see a performance like that. 

Also, I am so mad about waving through a window. He's done it so many places that I'm so sick of it and it truly has become my least favorite song in the show. It also really only showcases him, and not the show. I was really excited to see literally any other number.

broadwayboy223
#2012017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/29/17 at 8:00pm

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Bette is Bette and IMO there are other people who would play Dolly better. At this point, Id' rather see the award go to Patti or Christine for War Paint. Who not only are giving stellar and layered acting performances, but AMAZING vocal performances as well. I'm so over the exclusivity of this Hello Dolly revival 

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#2022017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/29/17 at 8:03pm

dianamorales said: "Also, I am so mad about waving through a window. He's done it so many places that I'm so sick of it and it truly has become my least favorite song in the show. It also really only showcases him, and not the show. I was really excited to see literally any other number.

"

I really, really thought/hoped they would be doing You Will be Found. As someone who has not seen the show, I found that more gut-wrenching and therefore, a bigger draw to the show. I even know how WTAW looks on stage from so many times it has been performed and because it is part of the promo videos that are everywhere...? 
(But again, I haven't seen the show)

bear88
#2032017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/29/17 at 8:03pm

I don't know for certain, but I assume Tony producers don't want remote performances because almost every show - especially those with more elaborate staging - would prefer to be at their own theatre. Don't you think Great Comet would rather be at the Imperial? As a television viewer, I would rather they perform there instead of trying to piece together an imitation version of their own elaborate set-up at Radio City. But maybe the Tony Award producers want a better live show, or not to deal with the hassles of shuttling people around in time for the awards. I don't know.

If the Hello, Dolly folks don't think they can pull off the title number at Radio City, more power to them. But the Times story doesn't just say "no title number," it says no Bette Midler. We'll give you David Hyde Pierce singing "Penny in My Pocket." Now it's certainly possible that the Tony producers are being irrationally stubborn, insisting on the title number and refusing to compromise on any other song that Midler performs. But that suggests that the Tony Award producers are total morons, which I doubt.  

Perhaps all of this is designed to juice some drama out of this. But except for people like us, who cares? CBS can either promote a performance by Bette Midler or it can't. That decision can't be made at the last minute. 

This all just sounds like Scott Rudin playing games and deciding that it really doesn't matter to his bottom line whether Bette Midler performs or not. That's probably true, if his only goal is to make a profit while Midler remains with the show. But it seems awfully shortsighted, and not really good for Midler either. This will probably be her last chance to perform as the main attraction of the her own show, which has gotten rave reviews. And if the goal is to promote Broadway to the nation, why wouldn't you want a performance of the season's biggest hit for everyone to see? It's been done before, with this show. 

Watching this mini-drama plays out does make me appreciate the ability of the Hamilton producers to not screw things up, which maximized their own profits while exposing more people to Broadway musical theatre.  

Updated On: 5/29/17 at 08:03 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#2042017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/29/17 at 8:18pm

They could literally perform Before the Parade Passes By or Sunday Clothes without having to drastically restage anything.  The Dolly producers are just being assh0les.

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#2052017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/29/17 at 11:24pm

icecreambenjamin said: "They could literally perform Before the Parade Passes By or Sunday Clothes without having to drastically restage anything.  The Dolly producers are just being assh0les."

Very true. And besides everybody has to restage numbers for the Tonys. Hell, when R&H's Cinderella was done a few years ago William Ivey Long designed a completely different transformation dress for Laura Osnes to meet the restricted time and staging requirements. It's what you do to give the rest of the country a glimpse of what you have created.

This is totally Scott Rudin feeling he has the upper hand and threatening to walk away with his star and sticking the Tonys (and the rest of the country) with David Hyde Pierce. Which the Tonys will have to take, otherwise he can blame them for not accepting a number from the show.

Forget him and Dolly and Midler. (And I mean that in the Cee Lo Green sense of the word.) Falsettos was the best revival of a musical, anyway.

Updated On: 5/29/17 at 11:24 PM

jmuep
#2062017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/30/17 at 12:11am

Without knowing the specifics, I'm sure that from CBS' POV, it's about cost. Allowing a remote broadcast is going to cost thousands of dollars more. And for a show that doesn't do well in the ratings, is it worth it?  Obviously they aren't sure it is. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#2072017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/30/17 at 12:13am

Without knowing the specifics, I'm sure that from CBS' POV, it's about cost. Allowing a remote broadcast is going to cost thousands of dollars more. And for a show that doesn't do well in the ratings, is it worth it?  Obviously they aren't sure it is. 

If they had allowed it, Dolly most likely would have had to pay.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#2082017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/30/17 at 11:52am

How much does it speak to the staying power and strength of the DEH score that they are performing Waving Through a Window yet again? I was thinking about performances from last year's best musical winner, Hamilton. They performed Alexander Hamilton at the Grammy's, One Last Time at the White House, Yorktown at the Tony's and then Schuyler Sisters during the closing credits. It seems really strange that the producers of DEH aren't trying to go in a different direction. 

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#2092017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/30/17 at 11:58am

Babe_Williams said: "How much does it speak to the staying power and strength of the DEH score that they are performing Waving Through a Window yet again? I was thinking about performances from last year's best musical winner, Hamilton. They performed Alexander Hamilton at the Grammy's, One Last Time at the White House, Yorktown at the Tony's and then Schuyler Sisters during the closing credits. It seems really strange that the producers of DEH aren't trying to go in a different direction. "

It's the best choice. It works the best out of context and is, arguably, the best song in the show. FUN HOME went a similar route. They chose the best song that happened to work the best out of context. 

Honestly, I thought HAMILTON messed up the Tony performance. Yorktown was not remotely close to the best choice.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#2102017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/30/17 at 12:11pm

Babe_Williams said: "How much does it speak to the staying power and strength of the DEH score that they are performing Waving Through a Window yet again? .... It seems really strange that the producers of DEH aren't trying to go in a different direction. "

They have brought out new songs in the past weeks: "You Will be Found" on the Today Show and "For Forever" on Colbert. They are all good songs and sound great, but as with many musical plays the deeper you go into the book the more context needs to be explained to make sense of what they mean.  To go further, "You Will Be Found" is annoyingly saccharine without its context. "Waving Through A Window" has the advantages of being a strong song, a great performance, and almost completely self-explanatory. 

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they open with a bit of "Anybody Have A Map" just to set up Evan's domestic world and then go into WTAW.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#2112017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/30/17 at 12:20pm

"Waving Through a Window" is the best and only option in my opinion for Dear Evan Hansen to perform. It's the only song that works out of context, doesn't give away any spoilers, and includes the entire company. It's also the best and catchiest song in the show, so this is definitely the "Tony song." Any other song would just not do the production any favors. Imagine if Hamilton only performed "Yorktown" at the Tonys (a miss in my opinion).

This drama between the Tonys and Hello, Dolly! is not making either side look good. The Tonys need Bette and Dolly would be tainted if they chose to represent their production with "Penny in My Pocket." I wonder who will cave.

bear88
#2122017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:35am

My compelling question remains: What songs will Great Comet mash up, and how in the world can it possibly work? If we're going to get a Groban ballad, it must be a shortened version of "Dust and Ashes" because I doubt they would do "Pierre" without the Prologue and they wouldn't do the last song. And the dance song must be "Balaga," right?

How would they work in combination, with all the controlled chaos that sounds like it's being planned? It could be brilliant, it could be a total mess, it will probably be a brilliant, truncated mess. I'm still very skeptical about medleys in these shows, but I'm very curious how they will try to pull it off. Are my guesses way off? A Balaga/Dust and Ashes mashup seems a bit odd; they're just educated guesses based on the New York Times story.

Random thoughts...

- I agree with the Dear Evan Hansen producers. "Waving Through a Window" is the best standalone song in the show. Most viewers haven't seen every TV performance of the show or even heard any songs from it. 

- Last year, I was a little disappointed in Hamilton's choice of "Yorktown," as the musical has better songs. I always wished for "The Room Where it Happens," because it's my favorite song in the show and because Leslie Odom Jr. would have brought down the house. But with the producers emphasizing the show as the star, I understood the logic of "Yorktown," with its emphasis on the ensemble and the choreography. Plus, having just seen it Saturday night on tour, I was reminded that "Yorktown" is pretty awesome and works as a standalone crowdpleaser. It was a smart choice, given the producers' plans to position Hamilton for long-term success, even if it's not what I personally would have chosen.

Updated On: 5/31/17 at 01:35 AM

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#2132017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:41pm

I'm wondering if they're going to show Connor calling Evan a freak and shoving him to the ground before WTAW or if they'll just start with the opening chords of the song? 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2142017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:48pm

Waving Through a Window is absolutely the right choice for Evan Hansen. Yes, people on this board have seen the song performed before, but it's the best song for people who don't know the show- easy to understand out of context, catchy melody. And I say this as someone who doesn't care much for the score to begin with. 

Usually I think medleys are a bad choice, but I hope Rachel Chavkin is able to figure out a way to make a Comet performance work. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#2152017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/31/17 at 6:43pm

icecreambenjamin said: "They could literally perform Before the Parade Passes By or Sunday Clothes without having to drastically restage anything.  The Dolly producers are just being assh0les.

"

Seriously. If those Matilda kids could dangerously ride those razor scooters down the passerelle at Radio City Music Hall and avoid colliding with one another and/or losing control and falling off, then there's no reason the adult dancers with years of training can't do re-choreographed leaps to avoid the danger of falling 25 feet (if that is the actual excuse and not a pretext Rudin came up with for some other reason).

Updated On: 5/31/17 at 06:43 PM

Willie4316
#2162017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/1/17 at 3:18am

BUILD series just posted an interview with Stephanie. Around the 16:50 mark, she mentions that the entire cast will be performing and said no when asked if the audience should expect to see bananas (those who've seen the show know what I'm referencing.) It sounds like no I'm Breaking Down, perhaps Falsettoland leading into something else? 

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#2172017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/1/17 at 8:04am

If the cast of Falsettos is performing my guess is that they'll sing the Baseball Song, the same song done by the original cast on the Tony Awards.

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#2182017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/1/17 at 10:03am

Jimbo2 said: "If the cast of Falsettos is performing my guess is that they'll sing the Baseball Song, the same song done by the original cast on the Tony Awards."

I was thinking they would do "This Had Better Come to a Stop" to show off everyone nominated. 

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#2192017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/1/17 at 1:05pm

Any intel or idea of what Groundhog Day is doing? I assume they're performing?

I saw the show this week and loved it, but afterwards I was at a loss for what they might do at the Tonys. "If I Had My Time Again" and "One Day" are the crowd-pleasing production numbers, but neither really features or showcases Andy Karl (I guess One Day sort-of does)... "Hope" is perfect, but out of context (or for people who don't know the movie), it would be horribly bleak, not to mention a bit of bad taste alongside Evan Hansen. "Philanthropy" was great in the show, but so strange out of context on the Today Show. "Seeing You" is gorgeous, but it would be weird to give away the ending. Maybe a truncated "Day One"? A medley a la Matilda? I'm so curious to see what they're doing! 

Updated On: 6/1/17 at 01:05 PM

10086Sundays
#2202017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/1/17 at 1:23pm

I think Groundhog Day is doing a medley of "Small-town USA" into "One Day" into "Seeing You."  It is a shame they can't do "Hope" outside the show, both because of the context and staging, since it's a great number and the only one that really showcases Andy's voice at all.  They've done "Seeing You" multiple places and I don't think it's much of a spoiler, considering it's the same ending as the movie.

There are only a couple pics on Instagram from the cast showing their Tony prep.  

Sheet Music Pic 

Rehearsal Video Link

Updated On: 6/1/17 at 01:23 PM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#2212017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/1/17 at 1:55pm

Why this year’s Tony Awards may be ‘a little muted’

"Rudin offered to sweeten the deal by having a Tony viewing party at the Shubert, where 1,400 people could see Midler perform either number and then catch the rest of the awards show on giant screens. He says he was going to make the viewing party a benefit for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS."

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#2222017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/1/17 at 2:18pm

10086Sundays said: "I think Groundhog Day is doing a medley of "Small-town USA" into "One Day" into "Seeing You."  It is a shame they can't do "Hope" outside the show, both because of the context and staging, since it's a great number and the only one that really showcases Andy's voice at all.  They've done "Seeing You" multiple places and I don't think it's much of a spoiler, considering it's the same ending as the movie. There are only a couple pics on Instagram from the cast showing their Tony prep.  Sheet Music Pic  Rehearsal Video Link"

Thank you so much! I actually think that this is a great idea. I'm not usually a medley fan at the Tonys, but I thought the Matilda performance was fantastic, so I'm not surprised that that team decided to go the same route. It'll work well for this show.

BroadwayBeebe
#2232017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/1/17 at 2:23pm

Jimbo2 said: "If the cast of Falsettos is performing my guess is that they'll sing the Baseball Song, the same song done by the original cast on the Tony Awards."

I'm so excited for their performance, but I hope Borle is sporting a wig or something and not his bald Wonka look. 

Rainah
#2242017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/1/17 at 7:18pm

reginula said: "ACL2006 said: "Nothing about COME FROM AWAY. makes me believe they haven't decided yet. I'm really hoping they do HEAVE AWAY/SCREECH IN.

"Wouldn't that mean giving away the most upbeat (Sp?) number? I think I would come across weird. I still wonder how the national audience would feel about the "9/11 musical" and seeing that happy number. I think Me and The Sky into Somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere would work and still make it appealing to those potential audiences? 
"

I do agree, Screech In would be a mistake. But I also think they need an ensemble number to show off the show itself. Welcome to the Rock is my vote

Videos