pixeltracker

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances - Page 9

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#200Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 2:08am

Donna was absolutely spellbinding as Dolly Levi. What else can I say about her that hasn't been said already of her brilliant performance? 

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#201Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 3:40pm

Saw the matinee yesterday and was totally wowed by it.  Sure I'd like to see Bette, but I suspect some of the reviews above comparing are completely "right on".  Donna Murphy is truly wonderful and while it may be a little over the top (like the entire production) she never distracts from the show itself.   I saw Dolly, I didn't see Donna Murphy. 

One question, maybe someone could answer.  The costumes are simply amazing, but when she came out after the court scene for "So Long, Dearie" she was wearing a cobalt blue dress, that was mainly just a skirt that was sort of empire waistline, and the top was a very simple white chiffony like top, that had absolutely no detail or period look.   I'm curious if perhaps that was supposed to have a jacket or another layer with it, but it got missed.  In fact it seemed her entrance was a little awkward like maybe it was late?  Anyone -- is that really what she normally wears. 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#202Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 4:01pm

" Sure I'd like to see Bette, but I suspect some of the reviews above comparing are completely "right on"."

There is NO comparison.  In one your seeing a legendary international superstar giving a star turn and in the other your seeing broadway royalty giving a star turn.  Two different beautiful things.  Pitting the 2 against each other is stupid .  Bette is worth every cent  and for many a bucket list event.  And Donna as always is wonderful  and  worth seeing.  What a great time to be a musical theater lover.   I hope we get more ladies to play Dolly.  

Updated On: 6/29/17 at 04:01 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#203Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 5:44pm

SmokeyLady said: "" Sure I'd like to see Bette, but I suspect some of the reviews above comparing are completely "right on"."

There is NO comparison.  In one your seeing a legendary international superstar giving a star turn and in the other your seeing broadway royalty giving a start turn.  Two different beautiful things.  Pitting the 2 against each other is stupid .  Bette is worth every cent  and for many a bucket list event.  And Donna as always is wonderful  and  worth seeing.  What a great time to be a musical theater lover.   I hope we get more ladies to play Dolly.  

"

I think we can compare the singing abilities though. Bette Midler at this point in her career is more like Carol Channing -- character singing. She doesn't go too high, or too low. No belting. Donna Murphy at times sounded a lot like Ethel Merman. Very strong, powerful voice. 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#204Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 6:45pm

poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "" Sure I'd like to see Bette, but I suspect some of the reviews above comparing are completely "right on"."

There is NO comparison.  In one your seeing a legendary international superstar giving a star turn and in the other your seeing broadway royalty giving a start turn.  Two different beautiful things.  Pitting the 2 against each other is stupid .  Bette is worth every cent  and for many a bucket list event.  And Donna as always is wonderful  and  worth seeing.  What a great time to be a musical theater lover.   I hope we get more ladies to play Dolly.  

"

I think we can compare the singing abilities though. Bette Midler at this point in her career is more like Carol Channing -- character singing. She doesn't go too high, or too low. No belting. Donna Murphy at times sounded a lot like Ethel Merman. Very strong, powerful voice. 

"

I think you can if you want.  If you are that bored.  It is kind of silly.  But even at 71 Bette sounds a lot better than Carol ever did.  And that is not putting down Carol. I love Carol.   It is not all about how pretty something sounds.  

Updated On: 6/29/17 at 06:45 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#205Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 7:05pm

Thought I could make the show on July 5, but due to the holiday I'm forced to miss it. Hopefully I'll be able to catch Donna at the end of August.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#206Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 8:11pm

Nope.  That's exactly how the costume is for "So Long Dearie."

Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!

JBC3
#207Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 8:20pm

"I think you can if you want.  If you are that bored.  It is kind of silly."

This is just rude and dismissive.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#208Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 8:29pm

SmokeyLady said: "poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "" Sure I'd like to see Bette, but I suspect some of the reviews above comparing are completely "right on"."

"

"

I think you can if you want.  If you are that bored.  It is kind of silly.  But even at 71 Bette sounds a lot better than Carol ever did.  And that is not putting down Carol. I love Carol.   It is not all about how pretty something sounds.  

"

I really don't get this mindset. When you have a main cast and an alternate with such vastly different singing styles then I think it's fair to compare them. Some people might like Bette's style of singing better. Some might like Donna's more classic Broadway belt. 

Like if someone told me "singing is very important to my enjoyment of a performance" i might not have recommended, for instance, Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#209Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 10:10pm

I watched Donna last night wed evening performance and boy she was great! I saw Bette two months ago and she was great too!

There were a few spots where I got sooo nervous for a split of a second! In the beginning she flubbed her words when talking about Horace Vandergrlder, then almost tripped that last step on the Harmonia Gardens staircase, and then her dress got stuck on the table in the courtroom scene. She fixed each of them so naturally and in character that I was impressed!

her interpretation of Dolly in "Dancing", "before the parade passes by" and "so long dearie" really hit me emotionally.

i definitely will try to get tickets again to see Donna perform once more later this year.

btw, they gave out regular playbills wed eve but if you ask the stage manager at the end of the show for a pride playbill, they will gladly give you one (if there are any left.)

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#210Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 10:17pm

poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "" Sure I'd like to see Bette, but I suspect some of the reviews above comparing are completely "right on"."

"

"

"

I really don't get this mindset. When you have a main cast and an alternate with such vastly different singing styles then I think it's fair to compare them. Some people might like Bette's style of singing better. Some might like Donna's more classic Broadway belt. 

Like if someone told me "singing is very important to my enjoyment of a performance" i might not have recommended, for instance, Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd. 

"

I get it now.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#211Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 10:20pm

I saw Donna last Tuesday and I didn't really notice, but I imagine it must be difficult for her to go through the lines when she talks about Ephram. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#212Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 1:13am

I got the chance to see her tonight and I have no words. Donna Murphy delivered a performance that is beyond english adjectives. It was absolutely magnificent and if you see her at the stage door please stop by because she really is an angel from heaven.............just my two cents, but it really was spectacular; go see her in this wonderful production of Hello Dolly. 

P.S. GO TO TKTS. I got orchestra center row H seat 106 for $86 and my my was that a treat

ryankon
#213Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 6:18am

I agree with everyone who has said that comparisons of Midler and Murphy are unnecessary as it's apples and oranges.  I worship at the alter of Midler so feel privileged to have seen her as Dolly.  But in truth, Murphy rocked my world.  She was heartbreaking, hilarious, passionate, sexy and vocally in top form.  I can't wait to see her again.  I've always been a fan.  This cements her place as one of our greats.  It's an absolute triumph.   

Updated On: 6/30/17 at 06:18 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#214Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 6:55am

For those that are getting their tickets at TKTS, are they telling you when you ask for tickets that it's not with Midler.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#215Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 7:50am

ACL2006 said: "For those that are getting their tickets at TKTS, are they telling you when you ask for tickets that it's not with Midler.

"

Yes. The ticket seller says Donna Murphy when you ask for Hello Dolly. It also printed on the ticket "Donna Murphy Hello Dolly"

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#216Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 2:52pm

Just curious. I just picked up a Partial View seat tonight from the BO. It's Box D, Seat 1. Has anyone sat here? Is it terrible?! I've been in the theatre countless times but I don't remember the Box views. It's on the Right Side of theatre, Box behind Box C. (I saw Curious Incident from Rush Box seats and it was not the greatest but OK, especially since I saw the show before).

It's the cheapest way to see the show with Donna, $47, so I don't expect a great seat but I just wondered if someone could give me their opinion so I'm a little prepared for tonight! In any event, I'm excited. Saw Bette already but David Hyde was out that night (before the Tony's) so I'm anxious to see him.

Thx, guys!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#217Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 3:13pm

You'll miss the table scene with DHP and J S in the Harmonia Gardens sequence .  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#218Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 3:24pm

Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!

Updated On: 7/5/17 at 03:24 PM

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#219Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 3:42pm

Thx, Dame!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#220Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 3:59pm

But Ethel ;  you'll be very close and you will have a unique view of the Passarele.   

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#221Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 4:03pm

Thank you again, Dame! You're making me more excited! Really, thx.

Updated On: 6/30/17 at 04:03 PM

jtishere
#222Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 4:23pm

Just grabbed a mezz seat to see Donna on Sept 5. Will be seeing Bette Oct. 19. Can't wait to see both these ladies inhabit Dolly in their own unique ways!

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#223Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 4:27pm

EthelMae,

Jennifer Simard is so good, you might want to keep a watch on the orchestra for open seats and snag one at intermission. Depends how much of a risk taker you are.

Updated On: 6/30/17 at 04:27 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#224Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/30/17 at 4:36pm

Stage Door Sally said: "EthelMae,

Jennifer Simard is so good, you might want to keep a watch on the orchestra for open seats and snag on at intermission. Depends how much of a risk taker you are.

She has seen it.  "

Videos