pixeltracker

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews- Page 9

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#200THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/22/17 at 11:06pm

UncleCharlie said: "The need for some people here to definitively start predictingTony races in October when many of the likely contenders are still 2-3monthsfrom even starting rehearsals has always amused me. I guess it gives them something to do."

Even worse: Posts like willrolandsframe's, which make predictions AND tell the rest of us not to.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#201THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/23/17 at 11:53pm

Saw it tonight and really liked it but didn't love it.  Adding my two cents below.

The Good:

Katrina is magical. 

The music is haunting, mystical, and funny all at once.  

The two boys who sing about knowing how to deal with women are fun.

The musicians are wonderful.

The Not-As-Good:

John Cariani - the accent and the same shtick over from every other role he's done.  It's worked in those, but it doesn't work here.

Tony Shaloub - I've never been a big fan and just find him to be cold and stiff.  I understand that he's supposed to be that way, but I would've liked more of a connection between the two leads.

The set was fine but nothing new or exciting.

sppunk
#202THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/29/17 at 9:17pm

Saw this last night, say 5th row dead center. Perfect seats. 

Put me in the “absolutely loved it” camp. 

My favorite part is it’s tightly edited, No wasted parts, no meaningless dialogue. We saw War Paint as he matinee and the difference was stark on how well edited it was compared to that mess.

Katrina Lenk is phenomenonal, like this role was made for her. The musical is mesmerizing - it builds and stars/stops beautifully. It was a resl treat to see, one of the more enjoyable nights of Theater I’ve had. My favorite show since we Come From Away back in DC.

rebeccmam31
#203THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 6:19am

Miles2Go2 said: "I just looked as I couldn’t recall where my seat is. I bought my ticket (for 11/11 matinee) 2 months ago. I’m in Row C Front Mezzanine, mainly because I was looking for an aisle seat (long legs with bad knees here). Hope I don’t regret not being closer."

I saw the show on Saturday from Row B Front Mezzanine. I was definitely able to connect with the show from that distance. I hope you love it as much as I did. :)

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#204THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 10:48am

So folks is this a musical that I might enjoy more after the cd comes out and I listen to it a few times.

I'm getting a sense from some posts that this show might be a bit tedious.

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#205THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 11:53am

denali.fire said: "So folks is this a musical that I might enjoy more after the cd comes out and I listen to it a few times.

I'm getting a sense from some posts that this show might be a bit tedious.
"

Saw it at Atlantic with no prior knowledge of the source material, knowing only the work of the composer. It was complete surprise to me - it actually snuck up on me - and had me in uncontrollable tears by its end.  I've called it the musical genre's version of an independent film. I get the feeling from all the postings that it is now impossible to go into the show without expectations after the response it got in Chelsea and  the new venue - a Broadway theater - has added another presumption going in.  One of the best new musicals I have seen in quite awhile.

Up In One

sppunk
#206THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 11:57am

Much like CFA a lot of this show will get lost in a soundtrack.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#207THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 12:54pm

sppunk said: "Much like CFA a lot of this show will get lost in a soundtrack."

I'm not being snarky, but I actually have no idea of what you meant by that. Can you explain in a bit more detail?

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#208THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 1:13pm

^I don't understand it either.

Granted, I almost never listen to a show without having seen (and loved) it in person.  So I've never tried for a recording to act as my source material...nor would I want to.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#209THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 2:12pm

RaisedOnMusicals said: "sppunk said: "Much like CFA a lot of this show will get lost in a soundtrack."

I'm not being snarky, but I actually have no idea of what you meant by that. Can you explain in a bit more detail?
"

I have often seen a show after I familiarize my self by listening to the cd. It helps me when I see the show because I know the lyrics and have read the plot offered in the cd pamphlet.

Just wondering if I should wait until the cd is out and I get a bit of a perspective to help me enjoy the show more

BTW is there any information as to the recording this cd?

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#210THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 2:17pm

I think you would enjoy this show seeing it cold. 

sppunk
#211THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 7:51pm

RaisedOnMusicals said: "sppunk said: "Much like CFA a lot of this show will get lost in a soundtrack."

"

Integral parts of this show won’t be in a soundtrack. The music without the content that surrounds it would leave you wanting a lot more.

CFA is the same for me. I absolutely love the show but the soundtrack doesn’t give the full depth it deserves. 

bwayandstuff
#212THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 8:13pm

I was really hoping The Band's Visit would be the Come From Away of this season for me (didn't know much about the CFA but came out loving it and have seen it multiple times). I was so sad that I didn't like The Band's Visit. I thought Katrina Lenk, Tony Shalhoub, and Ari'el Stachel were great but other than that I found the story so boring and the music unforgettable. The best part for me was the band that played on stage, they were incredible! But other than that, the story moved so slow for me and there was never a wow-moment for me. I can see why people love it but I just thought it was so flat. I did really want to love it.

Updated On: 10/30/17 at 08:13 PM

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#213THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 10:56pm

sppunk said: "RaisedOnMusicals said: "sppunk said: "Much like CFA a lot of this show will get lost in a soundtrack."

"

Integral parts of this show won’t be in a soundtrack. The music without the content that surrounds it would leave you wanting a lot more.

CFA is the same for me. I absolutely love the show but the soundtrack doesn’t give the full depth it deserves.
"

OK. By the way, for theater it's a cast recording, not a soundtrack. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#214THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 11:00pm

Saw it on Saturday.  I liked it a lot, as did my stepdaughter who has excellent taste and appreciated the humor.  My wife and another friend fell asleep.  My two relatives seemed to enjoy it, but they get out once every 6 months.  The complaint from the sleepers was not enough music.  It is a play and a musical.  I was happy about those circumstances and am glad I saw it, repeat viewing, no.  The amount of original music is not much and the one intoxicating song seems to be almost half of the musical.  How much can you milk one song.  Thumbs up, hope we have something more exciting in store before June.

Stephanatic

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#215THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/30/17 at 11:20pm

Seeing it tomorrow and looking forward to it.

Unlike others, I don't feel Come From Away really lost anything on the Original Broadway Cast Recording. Glad I got that and not the soundtrack. (Yes, intentional sarcasm).

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 10/31/17 at 11:20 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#216THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/31/17 at 4:11am

^I agree about CFA. The recording is quite representational.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#217THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/31/17 at 8:30am

Seriously, can;t believe that not one review mentioned that the "Omar Sharif" tune is repeated so much we're getting to ALW levels of repetition of one hit tune.

Fordham2015
#218THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:33am

I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Most hit shows in recent years have featured one hit song that's repeated frequently in promos- think "Waving Through a Window" or "Ring of Keys."

StarFire2 Profile Photo
StarFire2
#219THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:47pm

I think there was an invited dress rehearsal.

What means nothing for you, means everything for me (c)

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#220THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/31/17 at 10:55pm

Omar Sharif doesn't even have a reprise. The bridge is used at one point in the song "Something Different."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#221THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/31/17 at 11:49pm

Saw it this evening and loved it.

I can see some people not enjoying it. I have a friend that did not care for the book but loved the music. He felt the characters were underdeveloped. In my opinion, there did not need to be a major character developmemt as we are seeing a snapshot of what happened in the 24 hours the band had to stay there.

I like what they did with the set and the use of the turntables and rooftop for the musician. The lighting was also beautiful. I thought the sound design was impeccable. I was sitting in the rear mezz in F2 against that back ledge (which is a great place to put your bag and coat and the ushers asked those of us on the aisle to do so) and I heard everything. It is mixed beautifully.

As others have said, the score is beautiful. Most songs feel short but that is fine. Omar Sharif does not have a listed reprise but part of it is reprised.

Great performances all around. Ar'el Statchel has an incredible voice. And yes, Lenk is giving a performance worthy of a Tony nomimation. I had to check my Playbill after to find out who Adam Kantor played. I am not a big fan but he does a wonderful job in this.

It is a slow moving and at times quiet show but the humor evens it out. It is quite funny at times. So glad I saw it. Looking forward to the Cast Recording.

Just give the world Love.

johnmichael
#222THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/1/17 at 6:33am

I saw this st the Atlantic last year and absolutely loved it. A very delicate and fragile piece, beautiful score, lovely design. I’ll be very interested (and In truth, a little worried) to see how it transfers to the more ‘hostile’ environment of broadway. I hope it’s unique charm finds favour there.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#223THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/1/17 at 1:32pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Omar Sharif doesn't even have a reprise. The bridge is used at one point in the song "Something Different." "

Yes, it’s a musical motif, woven throughout the show and for specific purpose. It’s not like “One Day More” being a medley of “Who Am I” and “I Dreamed a Dream” for no reason (or “On My Own” being both Fantine’s and Valjean’s death scenes) or ALW reusing his melodies from the big songs to write his recitatives. When Dina sings the musical phrase people think is a reprise, it’s intentional. “Omar Sharif” is the song where she opens up to Tewfiq; it transforms the relationship between the two.

rg7759
#224THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/1/17 at 6:20pm

While it was quite good, here's a cautionary tale one should follow. DO NOT SEE THIS AT A MATINEE. Elderly bus tours are not capable of being silent, and this show requires it.

Videos