pixeltracker

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 93

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2300FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 6:18pm

It's harder than it seems to recast someone like Jane Lynch in this show. There are a limited number of Jewish character actresses (or Jewish-adjacent) who will sell actual tickets IF they go with a no-name as Fanny. Fran Drescher is a good idea and might be of similar name value to Jane Lynch. People like Andrea Martin, Margot Martindale, Judith Light, or Caroline Aaron won't sell to the masses. You're not going to get someone like Kathy Bates or Allison Janney to replace in this specific supporting role. Ellen Barkin?

The best hope this show has is getting the critics to re-review it and praying that the improvements get raves –– or at least good enough reviews to mount a new advertising campaign with the new Fanny front and center.

Good luck to Sonia Friedman!

gibsons2
#2301FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 6:22pm

TotallyEffed said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Not even gonna lie: I would buy a ticket to see Lea Michele take over. Probably won't happen. But, just saying.. if they're looking to make this an "event.""

Throw in Idina as her mom while you’re at it lol
"

Take all of my money for this cast! 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#2302FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 6:43pm

The show sold well last week with Benko. Still $1.1M. Not an appreciable drop. They could promote her or give her the matinees. The real issue is building a fall advance, October - December. They need another announcement soon. And from the fine print in the ad, clearly understand by teasing the new actors.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

pmensky
#2303FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 6:48pm

Considering a new Broadway season will be starting up in the fall, Julie Benko may have a shiny new job lined up by the time Beanie departs. Benko has had a big platform to show her talent, and after seeing her performance, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were producers and directors who’d be interested in putting her in a new show.

hearthemsing22
#2304FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 6:52pm

pmensky said: "Considering a new Broadway season will be starting up in the fall, Julie Benko may have a shiny new job lined up by the time Beanie departs. Benko has had a big platform to show her talent, and after seeing her performance, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were producers and directors who’d be interested in putting her in a new show."

But I would think she’d love this show…do you think she’d be so quick to leave? 

pmensky
#2305FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 6:54pm

hearthemsing22 said: "pmensky said: "Considering a new Broadway season will be starting up in the fall, Julie Benko may have a shiny new job lined up by the time Beanie departs. Benko has had a big platform to show her talent, and after seeing her performance, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were producers and directors who’d be interested in putting her in a new show."

But I would think she’d love this show…do you think she’d be so quick to leave?
"

For an opportunity to create a role in an original Broadway show? Yes.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#2306FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 6:57pm

TotallyEffed said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Not even gonna lie: I would buy a ticket to see Lea Michele take over. Probably won't happen. But, just saying.. if they're looking to make this an "event.""

Throw in Idina as her mom while you’re at it lol
"

Talk about an EVENT. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2307FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 7:24pm

pmensky said: "Considering a new Broadway season will be starting up in the fall, Julie Benko may have a shiny new job lined up by the time Beanie departs. Benko has had a big platform to show her talent, and after seeing her performance, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were producers and directors who’d be interested in putting her in a new show."

These are all hypotheticals but at the moment if she had the opportunity to do Fanny full-time, she'd be foolish not to. "Finish what she started." Unless Bart Sher wants to give her Guinevere, or there was a REALLY good lead role in a brand-new musical with a Broadway contract.

She's not going to be well-served by leaving to originate a role equivalent to Whitney Bashor in MJ or Person 7 in Come From Away. Especially if the narrative was "she was so good as Fanny that it made the producers want to offer Beanie an early exit."

One other reason to hire her full time for Fanny: the producers know exactly what they're getting. There's no question of her stamina or if something she did in an audition was a fluke. And following the casting risk that was Beanie with the "safe" in-house choice could be a good thing.

Updated On: 6/15/22 at 07:24 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2308FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 7:27pm

Would imagine being the full time Fanny is going to be a nice paycheck bump, so I'd imagine she stays and does 6 shows a week. 

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#2309FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 7:28pm

Fran Drescher would be so wonderful as Fanny's mom with Benko as Fanny.

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#2310FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:04pm

LAINIE KAZAN

Georgeanddot2
#2311FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:08pm

Bette's Turban said: "LAINIE KAZAN"

YES!

PipingHotPiccolo
#2312FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:19pm

Lainie Kazan = a genius idea, and I bet shed jump to do it.

VERY eager to here any substantiation for the implication above that Beanie was let out of her contract early, ie fired. I don't buy it for a second-- why would the producers care when the show is selling well and audiences (that arent the less than 1% who post here) are liking her? Im guessing she's trying to put this nasty experience behind her, and will stay the hell away from Broadway for a long time.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#2313FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:21pm

That could be exactly why they announced the departure now, so they could lock Benko in as the next Fanny before she gets a job elsewhere. Who knows if that's the reason but I think that's far more likely than Benko taking another role with another show.

Bette's Turban
#2314FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:23pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Lainie Kazan = a genius idea, and I bet shed jump to do it.

VERY eager to here any substantiation for the implication above that Beanie was let out of her contract early, ie fired. I don't buy it for a second-- why would the producers care when the show is selling well and audiences (that arent the less than 1% who post here) are liking her? Im guessing she's trying to put this nasty experience behind her, and will stay the hell away from Broadway for a long time.
"

When Jane Lynch co hosted The View a few weeks ago,  she said that she was leaving the show in September.. but that Beanie would remain much longer.  You can look it up.  This departure was not planned. 

Updated On: 6/15/22 at 08:23 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#2315FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:31pm

Lanie Kazan is 82 years old. Sorry, I fight ageism daily, but that’s not the mother in this musical. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Bette's Turban
#2316FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:35pm

Auggie27 said: "Lanie Kazan is 82 years old. Sorry, I fight ageism daily, but that’s not the mother in this musical."

It was sentimental wishful thinking.  

I wonder if Rosie would still be interested?  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2317FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:40pm

82 year old Lainie as Fanny’s mother? lol

I bet when the producers saw the grosses for last week and how the numbers barely moved, they made some quick decisions. 

Georgeanddot2
#2318FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:58pm

It wouldn't matter if Lainie was 102, she'd still eat it up as Fanny's mother.

7thbighero
#2319FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 9:02pm

Give me Ana Gasteyer as Fanny’s mom please and thank you 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#2320FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 9:08pm

Sarah Jessica Parker? I could see her giving off Jewish mama energy.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2322FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 9:10pm

How about Andrea McArdle? They could advertise “Come see Fanny and Annie!”

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2323FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 9:10pm

poisonivy2 said: "Sarah Jessica Parker? I could see her giving off Jewish mama energy."

SJP wouldn’t do a bit featured role plus she’s busy post-PLAZA SUITE and Season 2 of … AND JUST LIKE THAT begins production in the Fall.  

pmensky
#2324FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 9:13pm

I wonder if the show could make it through the holidays without having a name in the lead? 

Videos