News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 95

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2350Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/15/22 at 3:44pm

I still want MJ Rodriguez as Roxie and Dominique Jackson as Velma.

MJ’s stock is even higher now with a Golden Globe under her belt and she could EASILY do this show with her level of performance experience.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#2351Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/15/22 at 4:20pm

quizking101 said: "I still want MJ Rodriguez as Roxie and Dominique Jackson as Velma.

MJ’s stock is even higher now with a Golden Globe under her belt and she could EASILY do this show with her level of performance experience.
"

Honestly, they’re gonna need to pull some phenomenal stunt casting like this to bring me back. God, that’s such a fun idea.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2352Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/15/22 at 7:31pm

https://www.playbill.com/article/how-casting-directors-duncan-stewart-and-benton-whitley-cast-broadways-chicago

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2353Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/15/22 at 8:07pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "https://www.playbill.com/article/how-casting-directors-duncan-stewart-and-benton-whitley-cast-broadways-chicago"

I know 4 actor/personalities that passed the audition process but sadly can’t join the show due to their schedules. 3 work on major network sitcoms and have things lined up when they wrap their current seasons.  These CHICAGO casting guys reach out first. If actor is interested, they then are asked to submit self-tape on role offered and singing a song the role sings.  If casting guys like what they see, then talent is asked to visit a vocal coach they use in NYC and Los Angeles (to check vocal technique so they don’t blow their voices).  If the role is either Roxie or Velma, a dance audition is required to check dance capabilities so a dance captain is assigned for this.  After all this, the casting guys make the offer if they see it won’t be a train wreck.  Contract negotiations are handled by another department.  Also of note, none of these 4 I know has ever done Broadway.  2 have done small theater work, but zero NY theater.  CHICAGO looks at your marketability to bring in audiences.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2354Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/16/22 at 7:01pm

Approximately....roughly....how is "Chicago" doing in the grosses dept.  (i.e weekly grosses & % of seats) ?

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2355Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/16/22 at 7:01pm

Approximately....roughly....how is "Chicago" doing in the grosses dept.  (i.e weekly grosses & % of seats) ?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2356Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 10:39pm

The story behind "Chicago"...and then some.  https://youtu.be/t8HpPpxrq90

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2357Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/22 at 7:20pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "The story behind "Chicago"...and then some.https://youtu.be/t8HpPpxrq90"

Did you not know the stories behind “Chicago”?

not that anyone cares but 24 years ago today (1/24/98) was my first Roxie/Velma understudy show (Nancy Hess was Roxie and Mamie was Velma @ the matinee .. the eve was Hess as Velma, Marilu thankfully was back)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2358Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/22 at 7:24pm

JBradshaw said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "The story behind "Chicago"...and then some.https://youtu.be/t8HpPpxrq90"

not that anyone cares but 24 years ago today (1/24/98) was my first Roxie/Velma understudy show (Nancy Hess was Roxie and Mamie was Velma @ the matinee .. the eve was Hess as Velma, Marilu thankfully was back)
"

How unfortunate that you got to witness Nancy Hess' Velma AND Roxie.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2359Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/22 at 8:11pm

JBradshaw said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "The story behind "Chicago"...and then some.https://youtu.be/t8HpPpxrq90"

"   Yes.  

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2360Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/22 at 8:47pm

ACL2006 said: "JBradshaw said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "The story behind "Chicago"...and then some.https://youtu.be/t8HpPpxrq90"

How unfortunate that you got to witness Nancy Hess' Velma AND Roxie.
"

no it’s cool - Nancy’s Roxie wigs always amused me - she had a Bob a bun and then a on the 24th looked like Annie

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2361Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/25/22 at 10:03am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "The story behind "Chicago"...and then some.https://youtu.be/t8HpPpxrq90"

I wish I could watch those Ms Mojo videos, but they never, ever stop talking.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2362Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/25/22 at 11:36am

Can we please have Carly Hughes back as Velma? She seemed spectacular from the press rehearsal footage with Jennifer Nettles, but only played the role for three months. Frankly there is not a shortage of talented triple threats in NYC there's no reason that the producers can't find a new choice for the role. Amber Ardolino comes to mind.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#2363Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/25/22 at 11:59am

Nancy Hess was on the one and only time I saw this production in 1997.  She's the main reason I didn't like it.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2364Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/25/22 at 1:51pm

jonartdesigns said: "Can we please have Carly Hughes back as Velma? She seemed spectacular from the press rehearsal footage with Jennifer Nettles, but only played the role for three months. Frankly there is not a shortage of talented triple threats in NYC there's no reason that the producers can't find a new choice for the role. Amber Ardolino comes to mind."

I got to see Carly with Jennifer, and both were phenomenal. I was really hoping that Carly would stick around because she was definitely one of my top favorite Velmas in the dozens of times I've seen the show. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2365Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/1/22 at 7:31pm

Surprise!!! And tonight I play Roxie! Went to bed as Velma and woke up as Roxie. Only in @chicagomusical That’s showbiz kid! Thrilled to play opposite the gorgeous @amrafaye as Velma!  (from Bianca Marroquin's Facebook page).  I'm surprised that one of the Velma understudies don't get a chance to play the role.  Interesting.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2366Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/1/22 at 7:33pm

Guessing Charlotte has COVID? Otherwise, why not just have the Roxie u/s go on? Chicago be doing bizarre things.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BCfitasafiddle
#2367Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/1/22 at 7:33pm

That's crazy. Also, I've heard from almost everyone I know who's seen Bianca in both roles and everyone has said she's an even greater Velma.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2368Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/1/22 at 7:44pm

I guess AFW is the unofficial Velma standby?

Nolan LuPone
#2369Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/1/22 at 7:49pm

It seems so...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2370Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/1/22 at 8:15pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "That's crazy. Also, I've heard from almost everyone I know who's seen Bianca in both roles and everyone has said she's an even greater Velma."

That's insane, anything she can't do?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Azúcar!
#2371Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 2:23am

blaxx said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "That's crazy. Also, I've heard from almost everyone I know who's seen Bianca in both roles and everyone has said she's an even greater Velma."

"

A new show.

Azúcar!
#2372Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 2:23am

blaxx said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "That's crazy. Also, I've heard from almost everyone I know who's seen Bianca in both roles and everyone has said she's an even greater Velma."

"

A new show.

TuqueroIMKJernalyn
#2373Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 7:17am

Velma returns to introduce the opening act, resentful of Roxie's manipulation of the system ("I Know a Girl"Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread and ability to seduce a doctor into saying Roxie is pregnant; as Roxie emerges, she sings gleefully of the future of her unborn (nonexistent) child ("Me and My Baby"Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread. Amos proudly claims paternity, but still, nobody notices him, and Billy exposes holes in Roxie's story by noting that she and Amos had not had sex in four months, meaning if she were pregnant, the child was not Amos's, in hopes that Amos will divorce her and look like a villain, which Amos almost does ("Mr. Cellophane"Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread. Velma tries to show Billy all the tricks she has planned for her trial ("When Velma Takes The Stand"Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread, which Roxie treats skeptically. Roxie, upset with being treated like a "common criminal" and considering herself a celebrity, has a heated argument with Billy and fires him; Billy warns her that her kind of and that she would be just as famous hanging from a noose. At that moment, Roxie witnesses one of her fellow inmates, a Hungarian woman who insisted on her innocence but could not speak English and whose public lawyer refused to defend her, become the first woman to be executed in Chicago ("Hungarian Rope Trick"Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread.

Nolan LuPone
#2374Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 9:46am

How is this helpful?

Videos