pixeltracker

I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?

I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?

broadway122 Profile Photo
broadway122
#1I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/15/09 at 9:19pm

So I have coupons to different places and really want to use them to get my hands on a new cast recording to listen to. I can pick 2 CDs. The thing is I'm not sure which to I want more.
My list is:
Company 2007
Sweeney Todd 2005
Titanic
Ragtime
Little Shop of Horrors 2003
Beauty and the Beast
Les Miserables 1987 ORBC
White Christmas
Chicago
Color Purple

Which ones have the best quality. I want the most bang for my buck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ADD: And actually I'm leaning towards Ragtime because I love Audra McDonald's "Your Daddy's Son." But I don't want to buy a CD just for that song. Also do you think there might be a new recording with the revival?

"i had no idea billy elliot was about one boy's triumph over epilepsy."-FindingNamo
Updated On: 8/15/09 at 09:19 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/15/09 at 9:34pm

TITANIC provides much bang, the score is chocked full of great musc that brings new stuff everytime you listen to it and so many amazing singer/actors: Vicky Clarke, Btian D'Arcey James, Michael Cervaris, Jenifer Piech, Martin Moran, Alma Cuervo, Judy Blazer (underused, I wish it contained her cut song)Michael Muheran, David Costable, Clarke Thorell, Ted Sperling, the list goes on, I'd reccomend it highly.
Updated On: 8/16/09 at 09:34 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/15/09 at 9:38pm

I second Titanic. The score is quite gorgeous and what CPD said is true. You wont find more glorious talent and voices crammed on one disk. Martin Moran and Brian Darcy James "The Night Was Alive" is one of the most moving show tunes I know of. Worth the price of the disc.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#3re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/15/09 at 9:43pm

My votes go for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and probably TITANIC. While I don't like ALL of Titanic, there are quite a few songs that are outstanding. You can't go wrong with Beauty at all...

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#4re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/15/09 at 9:43pm

To me, the Sweeney Todd revival is the biggest must-own of those, but if you already have another version, I guess it's good to have a totally new score.

musicalbluemirror Profile Photo
musicalbluemirror
#5re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/15/09 at 10:45pm

If you live in NY and have a New York Public Library Card...you can go to lincoln center library and they have EVERY cast recording EVER to take out!
its pretty amazing and you can get up to 30 each time haha

ashley0139
#6re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/15/09 at 11:09pm

Ragtime
Company
Sweeney Todd
Les Mis

in that order. Unless you already have a previous recording of Company or Sweeney Todd.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

AndAllThatJazz22
#7re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/15/09 at 11:11pm

I agree with ashley's list, but not exactly in that order. That's a REALLY hard list to choose from...but I think I would ultimately go with either Sweeney or Company.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#8re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/15/09 at 11:16pm

Titanic is one of my favorite scores of all-time. Such a beautiful recording.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#9re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/15/09 at 11:22pm

I'd definitely vote for Ragtime. Sweeney Todd might have been the single best theatrical experience I've ever had, but the cast recording is an abomination. For Company they'd figured out the Doyle acoustics better, so it's produced better, but the performances themselves are more lackluster.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

Irrational Number
#10re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 2:18am

Ragtime - gorgeous songs ("New Music", "Wheels of a Dream", "Back to Before")
Chicago - classic! ("All That Jazz", "Roxie", "Class", "Razzle Dazzle")
Titanic - very symphonic, beautiful ("We'll Meet Tomorrow", "There She Is")
Beauty and the Beast - Ashman/Menken and Rice/Menken are unbeatable ("Be Our Guest", "Human Again", "Home", "Me")

"The hours between twilight and darkness belong to the makers of music and tellers of tales." - Pagan saying / "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka / "Theatre is life, film is art, TV is furniture." - Unknown from internet

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#11re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 2:28am

Ragtime and the Sweeney Todd Revival

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#12re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 2:36am

This is actually pretty tough to just pick one. It's a good list. I guess I'd go with Ragtime. "Your Daddy's Son" will not be the only song you like on the entire two CDs. There are far too many fantastic stand out songs to list. Also, if you're going to get Chicago get the London revival cast recording. It's more complete with "Roxie's Monologue", the act one finale and lots of little dialogue bits that are missing from other recordings. Ruthie Henshall is a great Roxie and it's a much more energetic and lively recording than the Broadway revival CD.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#13re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 2:38am

out of your list, I say (in order)

Ragtime
Titanic
White Christmas
Chicago

and so on

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#14re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 2:47am

Ragtime. No question (IMO).

....but the world goes 'round

After Eight
#15re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 8:27am

Of your list, I'd recommend "Titanic" and "Chicago."

But do you have all the great shows from the 50's and 60's? If not, as there are so many better ones from those eras, you might want to expand your list.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#16re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 9:40am

I'd recommend Beauty and the Beast and Ragtime, but you do have a point about how there might be a recording for the revival. Still, it's such a beautiful recording, and so many of the characterizations are so different from the revival. And Ragtime has so many wonderful songs, you can't really get tired of it.

Beauty and the Beast, childish as it sounds to recommend it, is just all-around magical. I like Susan Egan as Belle even more than the actress from the film, and the added songs, like "If I Can't Love Her" and "Me" are some of the best in the show-- there's a lot here that's not in the movie.

If you like Les Mis, I'd actually recommend the Tenth Anniversary Concert-- I love the OBC, mainly because Terrence Mann is my favorite, but the TAC has more music, an all-around better cast (plus, I'm probably the only person in the world who likes Terrence Mann's Javert), and is a lot more popular.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

WishingOnlyWounds2
#17re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 9:48am

Beauty and The Beast

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#18re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 12:35pm

"Company" 2007. It includes "Marry Me A Little".

Just give the world Love.

AwesomeDanny
#19re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 12:56pm

Well, I don't have any of those recordings, but I am planning on buying Company, Les Mis, and Chicago. Of course, I haven't listened to anything on the list, but those interest me the most.

RockabyeHamlet
#20re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 1:50pm

Sweeney Todd 2005
Titanic

-from your list, but there are so many great recordings that weren't on your list that you might want to check out.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#21re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 1:57pm

I'll put my two cents in and say Beauty and the Beast (my first Broadway show) definately. Hands down.

I guess it really depends on your taste for second one. I'm not entirely sure which you'd like because, well, I don't know you.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

broadway122
#22re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 4:00pm

Thank you everyone for your help & suggestions. Because so many of you are saying I should expand, what do you suggest? I tend to go with whatever has the best sound quality.

"i had no idea billy elliot was about one boy's triumph over epilepsy."-FindingNamo

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#23re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 4:02pm

How about getting a cast recording made before you were born?

broadway122
#24re: I need a new cast recording. Anyone willing to help me out?
Posted: 8/16/09 at 4:09pm

Is the original Evita good? That was before I was born ('92) I have Cats and Phantom of the Opera so those are also before I was born. But, I agree I should get more before-my-time-shows.