pixeltracker

FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17- Page 3

FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#50re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 12:48am

Now I'm stuck with finding a new show for my mom. Chicago doesn't have discounted tickets for Saturday night, ALNM has no discounted tickets, WSS has no discounted tickets for Saturday night, she doesn't want to see Hair or Memphis, she has seen South Pacific and Phantom, she's concerned Present Laughter may be too "British" for her, she doesn't like hop hop so that leaves out In The Heights, she already has Mamma Mia tickets, doesn't want to see God of Carnage, no discounts for Wicked or Jersey Boys, Rock of Ages is not her style, she wants something funny so Race and N2N are out, she doesn't want to see Hair

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#51re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 12:55am

Eris, what about Off-Broadway? The Fantasticks might be a good show for your mom to go see, and the production is in great shape right now from what I have heard.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#52re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 12:58am

Actually, I just thought of Love, Loss, and What I Wore. That might be exactly what she wants. My late father loved Fantastiks but she doesn't care for it as much.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#52re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 12:58am

Bah! this is an awful half-birthday present! re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17 SO sad to see this go, but I'm glad it got a recording and I am very glad that I rushed it twice last trip. LOVED it and it will be missed!

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#54re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 1:08am

It seems like all the shows that I would like to see over and over again (w/o spending an arm and a leg) are closing.

Finian Will not be forgotten when it comes time for the Tonys

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#55re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 1:11am

Saw this tonight with my little sister and her friends aka the Tveit brigade, after we failed to win the N2N lotto and obtain cheap tickets to that night's performance.

With our plans quashed, I had to think quick and suggested we see "Finian's Rainbow," since they could transfer their affections to Cheyenne and possibly snag some cheap seats. Lucked out and got four SRO tix and they LOVED the show, my sister even remarking that she enjoyed it more than N2N. Astute kids they are, they noticed that a lot of the cast were crying during bows and wondered if the show was closing. Sad to come home and see that that is true, but thankful the younger set had the opportunity to see and discover a show they might not of been aware of otherwise.

And you never would've known from the stage door that the show posted notice tonight, the cast was incredibly gracious even in this weather. Enjoy "Finian's Rainbow" while it lasts!

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#56re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 1:36am

I wish more people would take a chance on these great shows. One of my students is taking a trip to NY and she was trying to decide whether to see Wicked or Phantom. My hand stopped just short of her face.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#57re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 1:41am

^^
I agree! My orchestra teacher is planning the spring trip for New York and she emailed me about my suggestions for what they should see. My freshman year we saw Phantom and we went again my senior year and saw Curtains. I gave her a list of what to see and pros and cons for each, this being at the top of the list, especially since it's for an orchestra trip. The three choices she gave them were Phantom, Wicked and Lion King... :/ Now it's not even possible for them to see this!

Really sad this is going. I truly fell in love the second the music started. Loved it from top to bottom. GAH! SO sad re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#58re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 1:47am

I don't think it's doomed to receive zero Tony nods. Night Music and La Cage are locks. I think the reviews/coverage of Finian's and Ragtime was strong enough for both of them to be seriously considered for nominations as best revival. Nobody has seen Promises, Promises, so we'll probably have a better idea once that starts previews. Bye Bye Birdie will be the forgotten revival. I can also see Baldwin ,Fitzgerald, possibly Terri White, and possibly the choreography also being remembered.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#59re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 1:48am

One of my students is taking a trip to NY and she was trying to decide whether to see Wicked or Phantom

Well, I'm of the mind that everyone should see Phantom on stage at least once in their life. But it's good to know that there are other shows out there. One of my coworkers wanted to take her daughter to see a show in NYC and she was talking about Wicked but I hooked her up with front row seats to Marvelous Wonderettes and she's raved about it ever since and her daughter adored it and wants to see more shows. Shows like Phantom and Wicked are great stepping stones. They can help open the door for people to see other shows.

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#60re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 2:20am

This just sucks. I adored this production. I guess this leaves Taylor Frey with more time to fall in love with me :)

But, in all seriousness...it's really quite tragic when beautiful productions such as this and Ragtime close earlier than they should because people won't take a chance on them.

Best of luck to the cast and crew!

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#61re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 2:23am

I was just thinking about the show and I realized that one of my favorite parts is the top of Act II when they change their dresses. It was so simple and lovely that it has stuck with me since I saw the show last month.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#62re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 2:41am

What the heck?? I'm not going to sit here and say this is the end of Broadway, but this is really troubling. Both of these shows are such excellent productions of truly remarkable material. This show in particular has one of the most beautiful, timeless scores. I am especially bothered because I thought pretty much everyone was perfectly cast. Christopher Fitzgerald surprised me, Cheyenne Jackson made me swoon (not that that's something new) and sounded great while doing it (again, not new, but still), and Kate Baldwin - simply sublime.

This is probably a really dumb question since I know it was already recorded, but do you think this will effect the release of the recording at all?

Ugh. One more down. Is it wrong that I feel the same way about reading items like this that I do about reading about the latest celebrity death? It just feels so untimely.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#63re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 3:06am

I heard nothing but raves about this one....and I won't get in the city before it closes sadly to see for myself. I will admit, until I heard so many people lauding the show, I had zero interest in seeing it.

But you have to admit: the writing was on the wall for this one.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#64re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 8:15am

Sorry to hear this- I have tickets for Feb. re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

Dantes
#65re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 8:35am

I don't understand the doom and gloom talk about the end of Broadway or 'i cant believe it' etc

This happens EVERY year. January is the months that shows that are struggling and know they wont be able to make it through the tough few months close.

Finians was not doing great, Ragtime was not doing great, why is it suprising?

You all comment on how these shows are not doing great in terms of ticket sales week in and week out so you must have known it was coming.

Yes its sad that shows like this and Ragtime that got great reviews are closing, but lets be honest who actually thought these 2 shows would run a long time huh?
It was a brave move by the producers to bring these shows to NY and they must be applauded for that, but these shows were never going to run.

former sadm2 (wink)

Roscoe
#66re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 9:10am

Good riddance. The show was crap with a couple of good songs. Let them revive something worth reviving next time. Maybe if they hadn't spent so much money buying off the critics they'd be able o squeeze out a few more unnecessary weeks of this worthless production.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 12/31/09 at 09:10 AM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#67re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 9:11am

Just got the email from telecharge refunding my money. Sad

JacquelineHester Profile Photo
JacquelineHester
#68re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 9:34am

re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17 ............sad

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#69re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 9:37am

I can also see Baldwin ,Fitzgerald, possibly Terri White, and possibly the choreography also being remembered.

I think lighting has a good shot too. We all know that Night Music isn't getting a lighting nomination from all of the criticism.

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#70re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 9:45am

I live in Kentucky, so I've never been to Broadway. One day a few months ago, I made a list in order of the shows I would see on Broadway. This was at the top. It just hurts me that what looks like such a beautiful show couldn't be accepted by the tourists and the non-theater fans.

Dantes
#71re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 9:46am

wow Roscoe hated something.......im shocked

former sadm2 (wink)

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#72re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 9:59am

Sad sad day

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#73re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 10:06am

allofmylife wrote: "Friends of mine refused to go with this rationalization: "It's just a concert version moved into a Broadway house and charging twice the price." It's hard to fight that. In these times, people want bang for their buck (as, euch, Wicked continues to prove.)"

Yeah, I guess that's why moving the Encores CHICAGO was such a stupid move ......

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

WishingOnlyWounds2
#74re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to Close January 17
Posted: 12/31/09 at 10:41am

Saw it last night, it was cute. But, I would have been upset if I paid more than the rush price. On the plus side, it was packed last night.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Videos