pixeltracker

Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?- Page 2

Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#25Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 12:07am

The entire score of 'Marry Me A Little", even if half of the songs made their way back into various other productions

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 12:21am

How could I forget There's Always A Woman from Anyone Can Whistle?

Or has it been put back in?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#27Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 1:48am

bwaylvsong, there was another great song cut from Fiddler called When Messiah Comes.

There was a great series of cds called Lost In Boston that has so many gems that got lost along the way.

....but the world goes 'round

bk
#28Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 1:55am

Tazber, I was about to say that someone has been whipping out the Lost In Boston CDs. :)

Of the songs we recorded on those four volumes, I'd have to count Tick Tock and What Am I Doing Here? - both from Promises, and all the Schmidt and Jones cut songs from I Do! I Do! and 110 In the Shade, especially Sweet River from the latter, as sung by the glorious Sally Mayes. And I'm really fond of Evening Star from 110, mostly because I asked Schmidt and Jones to write a bridge (the song had none and just didn't feel complete) and what they delivered was so breathtaking - and that song is now in all productions of 110.

Disneyland Magic Man
#29Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 5:06am

-What Every Women Wants - Witches Of Eastwick
-Ain't It A Bitch - Carrie (Even though I like In)
-Which Way Is The Party - Wicked (I'm probably the only person in the world who likes this number... but to me it fit better with Norbert Leo playing the role)
-Second Midnight - Into the Woods
-You You You - Annie 2/Annie Warbucks (Okay, I know it was recycled as Above The Law, but it's not the same)
-Coney Island - Annie 2/Annie Warbucks
-Dead Old Man - Reefer Madness
-Girls Of The Night - Jekyll & Hyde

And just because it was fun to sing along to backstage last year when I did the show, "We Haven't Missed A Sabbath Yet" from Fiddler... which for whatever reason is still in the score as set change music, haha. "Mamma mamma I'm finished with the noodles... mamma mamma can we go out and play? Yes....."

Tateh Profile Photo
Tateh
#30Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 6:45am

"Feeling Electric" and "Growing up unstable" (Next to Normal)
Dont wanna fall in love (Wonderland)
Too much from one heart (Miss Saigon)
I saw him once (Les Miserables)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 10:30am

Bring on the Men - J/H

It was replaced by the inferior "Good & Evil"

Poster Emeritus

bwaylvsong
#32Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 11:10am

Thanks, Taz, I'll have to track that CD down!

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#33Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 11:41am

“Love And War” Legally Blonde
“Step By Step” Wicked

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#34Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 12:17pm

Not exactly what we're talking about, but I seem to recall that the 1998 Bway revival of The Sound of Music cut the beautiful song "An Ordinary Couple" (and I think replaced it with the song written for the movie "Something Good")...
Did I imagine that, or can anyone confirm?

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#35Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 12:32pm

Yes, they also inserted "I Have Confidence" and rearranged the song order of "My Favorite Things" (they moved it to the bedroom, like in the movie) and also "The Lonely Goatherd" (to Act 2).

I've always loved "Come Down From Your Tree" from Once on This Island. Beautiful song.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

SporkGoddess
#36Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 12:58pm

I just tracked down "Come Down from the Tree" and it is a great song! I'm having trouble fitting it into the story though, what's the context?

And yeah, "Bring on the Men" is another one. Also "I Need to Know."

Oh, "Only Love" from The Scarlet Pimpernel. Only because I love that scene in the book.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 1/24/10 at 12:58 PM

Dantes
#37Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 1:19pm

Girls Of The Night - Jekyll & Hyde (though it was restored for the dreadful UK Tour and was the only moment in the show that was any good)

Love and War - Legally Blonde
Feeling Electric - Next To Normal

former sadm2 (wink)

Queen of the Night
#38Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 2:21pm

The first thing that came to mind was "Too much for one heart" from Miss Saigon. That is such a beautiful song, at least part of the tune was kept in the score as the duet, "Please".

Les Miserables has a couple of good ones. I always feel sorry for poor grown up Cosette that she has been cheated of her solo. The original London cast recording has her lovely aria, "I saw him once" and I really would have loved to have seen that piece put back into the score. The French concept album has a couple other ones that I would have liked to have had in the final score as well--notably Eponine's "L'un vers l'autre" and Gavroche's uncut original version of "Little People" ("La faute a Voltaire").
Updated On: 1/24/10 at 02:21 PM

Mr G Profile Photo
Mr G
#39Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 2:37pm

Hi Magic Man!

You'll be pleased to hear that "Isn’t This What Every Woman Wants?" by Dempsey & Rowe (cut during the London Previews of THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK) features on CAROLINE SHEEN'S debut album. Caroline actually created the role of Jennifer in the original show, and Dana Rowe & John Dempsey happily gave her permission to record this wonderfully clever song on her debut!

For more info (and to pre-order the CD) check out: www.SimGProductions.com

Enjoy!
Mr G

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#40Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 2:55pm

Gershwin's fabulous "The Man I Love" was briefly in more shows in the 1920s than gonorrhea.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#41Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/24/10 at 3:10pm

SporkGoddess -- "Come Down From the Tree" was supposed to be sung by Ti Moune upon finding a little abandoned girl in a tree. The scene was based on a passage from the Rosa Guy novel. Eventually the scene was cut and then, of course, the song had to go with it.

Orangesaretuesdays
#42Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/17/11 at 11:12pm

Thought this thread was an interesting read. I'd say In The Heights, theres been A Lot of cut songs that are fantastic songs but I can agree they don't fit. I especially liked Crying Out a song that Lincoln (Nina's Brother) sang in the show before they cut his character and I loved Rewind Tonight! Which was a Vanessa/Lincoln duet.

dragonlp86 Profile Photo
dragonlp86
#43Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/17/11 at 11:21pm

"Growing Up Unstable" from Next to Normal.

On the opposite end, I'm so glad they put "I've Been" back into the show.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#44Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/17/11 at 11:43pm

"Growing up unstable" and "Feeling Electric" from 'next to normal'

bwayfan7000
#45Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/17/11 at 11:51pm

I love Smile, Girls from Gypsy a whole lot- such a funny song. I wish they would put it back in for a production one day. Sondheim said in Finishing the Hat that they wrote it to give more second act solos to Ethel, but was cut because the show was too long. They should cut Little Lamb and restore Smile, Girls, which, to me, would finally make the show perfect.

Also, how did Lincoln fit into the story of ITH?

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Orangesaretuesdays
#46Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/18/11 at 12:14am

He was Benny's Best friend who fell in love with him while Benny was in love with Nina and it wasn't a happy ending. haha Back in 2002. But there were some great songs.

Edit: I realized I phrased that wrong
Okay Lincoln was in love with Benny
Benny was in love with NIna
Benny has sex with Vanessa
He loses Nina
and no happy ending.
Updated On: 1/18/11 at 12:14 AM

bwayfan7000
#47Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/18/11 at 12:23am

Wow that's...very odd.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

mattywhits Profile Photo
mattywhits
#48Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/18/11 at 12:44am

I loved "Hear Me Out" from In The Heights off-Broadway, though I do understand why it was cut- the song itself, however, is enjoyable.

Also, I've LOVED "When Daniel Marries Me" for years- I directed a production of the show at college a few years ago and realized they used the tune for underscoring during the scene at the Hotel Gates in the end (Asaka actually vocalizes to it underneath the narration, it's pretty beautiful) which I'd never realized but it makes that moment even more devastating!

And I love "She's Gone", which Alice Ripley recorded on one of her and Emily's albums but was cut from Side Show...it was a nice moment for Violet.

shob Profile Photo
shob
#49Favorite songs that didn't make the final cut?
Posted: 1/18/11 at 1:08am

I 'third' the 'Growing Up Unstable' vote. Am I the only one who thinks it could easily fit into the finished show now?

I am also a fan of 'Hear Me Out' from the off-Broadway production of In the Heights. It's on the same playlist as the Broadway Cast Recording on my iPod. After the 'Finale', 'Hear Me Out' comes on and I, like mattywhits, understand why it was cut. So darn catchy, though!

I sorta liked the 'Line Up' from Shrek's premiere in Seattle; a.k.a. the Chorus Line "spoof" song.