MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#1MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 2:18pm

Today is Sunday, April 11, marking the official opening of yet another Chicago hit-turned-Broadway transfer in MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET, at the Nederlander Theatre following previews that began March 13.

Eddie Clendening (Elvis Presley), Lance Guest (Johnny Cash), Levi Kreis (Jerry Lee Lewis) and Rob Lyons (Carl Perkins), who all appeared in the Chicago cast, reprise their work for the NY incarnation. All four are making their Broadway debuts.

The foursome is joined onstage by Hunter Foster as legendary music producer Sam Phillips, and Elizabeth Stanley as Dyanne, a woman who arrives at Sun Records with Elvis on the night of the recording session.

Eric Schaeffer directs, which features a book by Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux; the latter conceived and originally directed the musical.

"On Dec. 4, 1956," press notes state, "an auspicious twist of fate brought Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Elvis Presley together. The place was Sun Records' storefront studio in Memphis. The man who made it happen was Sam Phillips, the 'Father of Rock 'n' Roll,' who discovered them all. The four legends-to-be united for the only time in their careers for an impromptu recording that has come to be known as one of the greatest rock jam sessions of all time. . . . Million Dollar Quartet captures the infectious spirit, freewheeling excitement and thrilling sounds of a singular moment when four of the music industry's most extraordinary talents, all in their creative prime, came together for one of the most memorable nights in music history."

Best to all involved.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#2MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 2:46pm

"Floyd Mutrux; the latter conceived and originally directed the musical."

And had to sue for his cut...

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#2MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 2:57pm

I hope this gets decent reviews!

musicalman2
#3MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 7:19pm

what time does the curtain go up tonight?

musicalman2
#4MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 8:43pm

Positive review from AP
AP review

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#6MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 8:46pm

Edit: I was beat to it
Updated On: 4/11/10 at 08:46 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
kidbroadway2
#9MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 9:11pm

So basically its a nice fun show, but nothing special.

broadwayman17
#10MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 9:22pm

EW: Mixed/B-
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20359910,00.html

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#11MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 9:27pm

I really didn't think the show worked, in spite of some very obvious talent on stage, so the Mixed and Mixed-To-Negative reviews seem on target to me.

I'm pleased to see that Levi is getting substantial praise - it's a knockout performance!

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#12MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:07pm

I want whatever the people who gave this show good notices were on when they saw it.

I found the performers to be very talented, but completely wasted. The show tried so hard, but did nothing with the material.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#14MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:10pm

There's gotta be something to the show... It's been running in Chicago for a few years. I personally just never was interested enough to get tickets.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

musicalman2
#15MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews

Talkin Broadway pans the show
T.B. Review

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#16MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews

We all got there at the same time.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 4/11/10 at 10:10 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#18MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:26pm

Talkin Broadway's reviews are just depressing. Murray hates EVERYTHING. Well not everything but most things.

musicalman2
#19MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:27pm

MUrray is a tough critic, but he is echoing sentiments of others too. Sounds like he is fairly consistent with many of them

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#20MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:31pm

In this case, I think Murray's dead on. This show is just embarrassing. Nice to see Elizabeth Stanley getting positive notices, though. She's the only person on stage who walks away looking good.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#22MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:37pm

Lord knows she needs it after 'Cry-Baby'

Where is the crack that Isherwood has been on recently, because it seems like it's some good stuff.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#23MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:41pm

I am shocked by Isherwood's review...Brantley would have ripped it to shreds.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#24MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:41pm

Of course, Chuck.

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim