Amazing Scores

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#1Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 1:22am

Does anyone have a show where they LOVE every single song in the score.

For me next to normal does not have one weak song and has one of the strongest scores I've heard. Also, South Pacific.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 1:24am

A Little Night Music

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#2Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 1:40am

There are only 2 scores that when I listen to them I don't want to skip a song:

Gypsy
South Pacific

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 1:45am

I was just watching Sister Act on TV and that got me wanting to listen to the cast album. That is what I am listening to as I am typing this and I think that it is a great cast album and a very fun and catchy score. I know that there are people on here who have said that the aren't fans of the two male songs "When I Find My Baby", and "I Could Be That Guy." However, after giving them another listen I like them better than before.

I also think that a great score is one where all the songs that are there have a reason for being there to at least advice the plot. I think that any of the songs that are part of the scores of the musicals that have won the Pulitzer can fit this category.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

starspangledjenny
#4Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 1:46am

Floyd Collins.

tellybox Profile Photo
tellybox
#5Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 1:55am

Company

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#6Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 2:02am

Jekyll & HYDE.
or A Tale of Two Cities, depending on my mood!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#7Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 2:16am

The only two musicals I listen to without skipping a song are:

Company
Little Shop of Horrors

Gypsy would also make the list if it weren't for "All I Need is the Girl," which I cannot stand as a song and I feel is sorta useless.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 2:59am

Caroline or Change
Merrily We Roll Along
Sweeny Todd
Allegro
Caroline or Chnage

Just give the world Love.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 4:47am

""All I Need is the Girl," which I cannot stand as a song and I feel is sorta useless."

I know this has been talked about before...

But doesn't it kind of set up the backstory for June leaving? And there is kind of a bit of development of Louise's character I guess..

And then it just 'happens' to be a contrasting male voice and cool tap number too.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

shob Profile Photo
shob
#10Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 5:05am

Spring Awakening.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#11Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 8:44am

Next to Normal and West Side Story.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

rmusic11322
#12Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 10:08am

^ Agreed.

kc2 Profile Photo
kc2
#13Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:20pm

The only one I have never skipped through is The Last Five Years.

I love Company, Sweeney Todd, RENT, Les Mis etc but I skip songs depending on my mood or whatever. But that never happens with L5Y. Not sure why.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#14Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:34pm

Jesus Christ Superstar, Bare, Evita, Next to Normal, West Side Story, Gypsy, Babes in Arms, Last 5 Years, etc.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#15Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:38pm

Next to Normal and The Last Session are my 2 favorites....

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#16Amazing Scores
Posted: 5/31/10 at 2:27pm

House Of Flowers
The Most Happy Fella
St. Louis Woman
Baby
The Marvin Trilogy
Evita
Whoop Up!
The Human Comedy