Genius or not, there's always one.

I'm not a fan of Someone is Waiting.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#2Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 2:28pm

"What Would We Do Without You"

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#2Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 2:29pm

"The Day Off"

I totally get why it's there and it serves its purpose, but those dog voices drive me bats.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#3Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 2:37pm

First thing that comes to mind is What Would We Do Without You, from Company.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

AwesomeDanny
#4Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 2:42pm

While I love Sondheim's work, I don't particularly like Pacific Overtures. Most of the songs just seem to drag on and on. "Chrysanthemum Tea" is probably my least favorite of his songs.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#5Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 2:46pm

Besides nearly the entire Frogs score, it would probably be One More Kiss from Follies or Two Fairy Tales.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#6Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 3:07pm

I'm not too familiar with some of the more obsure shows, but I think Sunday in the Park is my least favorite Sondheim. Some of the songs are absolutely beautiful (Move On, We Do Not Belong Together, Sunday, the title song) but a lot of it just sounds the same to me.

If we're talking Sondheim's best, I think Sweeney's the Father, Company's the Son, and Night Music's the Holy Ghost.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#7Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 3:08pm

I usually skip "Bobby and Jackie and Jack" when I'm listening to Merrily. It's just so long and so dull and I get that it has its place in the show, but I still just don't like it.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#8Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 3:16pm

VTG, I have to listen to that just for Sally Klein's reading of "Oleg Cassini, well, I think he's real good!"

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#9Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 3:20pm

I always skip "No More" when I'm listening to INTO THE WOODS. And "The Day Off" from SUNDAY.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#10Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 3:23pm

"Country House" from the 87 Follies.

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#11Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 3:43pm

"You Are The Best Thing That Ever Has Happened To Me."

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#12Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 3:49pm

Liasons From Night Music.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

ObiHave Profile Photo
ObiHave
#13Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 4:08pm

Something Just Broke from Assassins

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#14Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 4:13pm

Sondheim at his worst is better than [________ ____________] at this best.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#15Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 4:14pm

Updated On: 6/24/10 at 04:14 PM

raker
#16Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 4:51pm

I like "Someone in a Tree," but it evokes calypso music more than Japanese.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#17Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 4:56pm

Sondheim at his worst is better than [ Pal Joey ] at this best. Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#18Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 5:44pm

"Send in the Clowns" always bores me. Yeah yeah, it's a classic and all that, but I'm not fond of sloooooow ballads. Give me a Sondheim patter song any day.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#19Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 6:20pm

Green Finch and Linnet Bird.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#20Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 6:21pm

Impulse control! It's a good thing.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#21Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 6:25pm

I find all of THE FROGS intolerable.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#22Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 8:31pm

Some of these songs are really shocking me. Someone is Waiting? Liaisons? No More? To each his own I guess, but those are some brilliant songs.

I would have to say One More Kiss is the one song I can pretty much count on skipping.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#23Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 10:15pm

I had another answer all ready then read:

I usually skip "Bobby and Jackie and Jack" when I'm listening to Merrily. It's just so long and so dull and I get that it has its place in the show, but I still just don't like it.

Yep, changing my answer. Bobby and Jackie and Jack is my least favorite for all the same reasons.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#24Your Least Favorite Sondheim Song
Posted: 6/24/10 at 10:22pm

Bobby and Jackie and Jack is easily my least favorite from Merrily, but it IS a pretty clever song.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.