pixeltracker

"American Idiot" closing rumors... via Twitter!

"American Idiot" closing rumors... via Twitter!

sundaymorning6am
#1"American Idiot" closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:16pm

http://twitter.com/abroadwaycritic

This dude/chick from SF says the producers are chatting right now about whether or not to close AI to make way for Sister Act. Isn't Sister Act not coming in until the spring?

Thoughts?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:18pm

The show would never make it through the winter.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#2'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:22pm

ugh. these threads kill me

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:24pm

Here are links to those specific tweets.

https://twitter.com/abroadwaycritic/status/20160927383
New update: Producers are discussing right now as when AI is closing - still up for debate, though it looks like sometime in August? 'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!

(an older tweet...)
https://twitter.com/abroadwaycritic/status/20159244894
Now I'm hearing that @AmericanIdiotNY might be closing this Sunday and the official word will go out tomorrow. This SUCKS!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#4'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:27pm

I got the same song and dance by my friend who works as a ticket broker...She hears it will be dead in the water by the end of August.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#5'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:28pm

Can't say I'm disappointed...

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#6'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:29pm

It wouldn't close this Sunday. They'd surely give more notice than that.

Everything in life...is only for now.

EdenIsMyHero Profile Photo
EdenIsMyHero
#7'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:30pm

I am hesitant to believe this. Yes, I would be shocked if it made it to January, but they are making $700k+ a week and considering that they are in the 4th largest theater on Broadway, that's nothing to sneeze at. It will be really sad when it does close because they could have run for a couple years in a smaller theater.

TheatreFan4
#8'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:31pm

It wouldn't close this Sunday. They'd surely give more notice than that.

Other shows don't.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:32pm

I give it until Labor Day. January at the absolute latest.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:33pm

I didnt' suspect this would have a long run...but it IS grossing an average of 3/4 of a million dollars! How high can their nut BE? It's a big, but young cast with a small band.

Of course, if ADVANCE sales past August are dismal, perhaps they are taking this as the writing on the wall.

Time will tell.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sundaymorning6am
#11'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:36pm

their nut is around $450k.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#12'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:38pm

^ I doubt it's that low. I would say at least 600K.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:38pm

^Wow...didn't think it would be that low!

So I revert back to my comment above about advance sales past August.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#14'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:39pm

I heard this, too.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#15'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:50pm

I guess all that coverage on the Tonys really paid off.

sundaymorning6am
#16'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:52pm

Nope, it's $450k.

I would agree that it's WAY too costly to move the show to another theatre, but isn't Sister Act (the show that random Tweeter claims is coming to take its place) not coming until the spring anyway? What kind of renovations are they planning for the theatre?

The grosses were just announced for the past week and they made almost $850k - another $100k and that's almost a million. I can't see why any producer would close a show that's making that much money.

Anyways, yes, I hate these threads too. I apologize for starting it, I was just curious as to this highly unsubstantiated rumor.

TheatreFan4
#17'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:53pm

The grosses were just announced for the past week and they made almost $850k - another $100k and that's almost a million. I can't see why any producer would close a show that's making that much money.

Because people are say that it's a sharp drop off at the end of August for their grosses.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#18'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:54pm

My thoughts exactly Kalimba. The secod half of the mini-concert by Green Day on the Tonys made me change the channel because I was waiting for the ACTUAL awards ceremony to start.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#19'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 4:09pm

No interest in this show, but whatever their nut could possibly be, they MUST be grossing several hundred thousand dollars over it every week. It's just hat the St. James is an extraordinarily big house. I'd believe a closing at the end of Summer, but not this very week.

TheatreFan4
SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#21'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 4:18pm

I am sure their advance after Labor Day has a lot to do with the discussion of it closing. Their numbers after the Tonys weren't that great and once the summer theatre goers leave and school starts again they will start hemorrhaging money.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Updated On: 8/2/10 at 04:18 PM

PastorErnst Profile Photo
PastorErnst
#22'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 4:22pm

@TheatreFan4 The producers of the recent Ragtime revival also sent out a Tweet denying rumours that show was closing as well.
Updated On: 8/2/10 at 04:22 PM

TheatreFan4
#23'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 4:27pm

Oh, okay. I'm back on the closing boat then.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#24'American Idiot' closing rumors... via Twitter!
Posted: 8/2/10 at 4:28pm

They should film AMERICAN IDIOT before closing it. I'm sure all GREEN DAY fans would buy that DVD in a heartbeat, regardless of how good the show really is.

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

Videos