pixeltracker

"Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony" tonight....

"Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony" tonight....

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#1"Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony" tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 12:38am

Although unfortunate circumstance forced me to miss the last 1/2 hour, the rest of the show was spectacularly hilarious. W/ guest star, also. Standing room only!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 12:43am

They have standing room?

thetinymagic2
#2'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 12:48am

yES. (a FIRST...). aLL WERE SOLD, TOO. (there's NO intermission)

Oh, btw, they're selling all kinds of cool merch. LOVE the T-shirts!
Updated On: 3/12/11 at 12:48 AM

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#3'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:23am

So glad you enjoyed it! Do they on sell SR on the day of the performance?

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#4'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:27am

Who was the guest star?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:29am

I really hope they film this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

thetinymagic2
#6'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:29am

Tonight was the first perf. of 10. Ck the schedule..it's not the normal Bway schedule/ I believe they'll sell sro if the perf is sold out. Just show up and ask.

NicBrown
#7'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:30am

You need to give us more details, I'm so excited about this show! Almost as excited as I am about this one in Nashville: http://beintheheights.com/nicbrown

thetinymagic2
#8'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 2:11am

@NicBrown - Actually, I'd rather not give too many details, since they would be SPOILERS. The guest star was a short cameo appearance (initials: S.O.), and I kinda believe there might be a different person every night. The first 5 minutes before she actually appears, is a video thing, absolutely hilarious, a compendium of sorts. - most of the 2 hours is just like her usual stand-up, but, in person, with the fantastic audience vibe, makes it all the better. And believe it or not, a ridiculously funny, up to the minute "joke" on the horrible tsunami tragedy today (Hollywood Slant, however!). Nuff said. The gayest show in town, in the BEST possible way. Even if you're NOT gay!

Updated On: 3/12/11 at 02:11 AM

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#9'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 9:40am

While it was about what I expected (i.e.: her typical stand-up show, but for Broadway prices), it was somehow even less focused/cohesive than her stand-up usually is - likely due to her promising "a different show every night" and taking on current topics (i.e.: just winging it). She kept cutting herself off halfway through her material and jumping to a new topic and saying she'd come back to it ("we'll come back to the Palins!") and then not doing it for most of them. It was fine, I laughed more than a few times, I was NOT expecting this to be a "special" show or have much more than Kathy just standing there telling jokes, but this particular set didn't even seem particularly streamlined or current/new (other than a few references to Charlie Sheen).

I mean, she spent a good 20-30 minutes talking about the "Real Housewives." Look, I get that most of her gay fanbase watches those shows (I'm gay, I just don't watch them), but as someone who doesn't, hearing her saying "OMG, Phaedra" and reciting numerous things she does/did on the show, isn't particularly funny to me. It seemed largely her falling back on her typical obsessions (e.g.: Oprah). Anyway, her fanbase (including me) was out in full force tonight, and everyone seemed to enjoy it, but I was a smidge underwhelmed.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#10'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 11:05am

A friend and I bought standing room tickets for $27 around 7.

The show was hilarious. She taped a sign that says "reserved for Sarah Palin" to every seat.

Other than that, typical Kathy stand up. Fun night.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#11'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 11:06am

"You need to give us more details, I'm so excited about this show! Almost as excited as I am about this one in Nashville: http://beintheheights.com/nicbrown"

Do you happen to work for In The Heights? Every post seems to get around to In The Heights.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#12'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 11:31am

Suzie Orman?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#13'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/12/11 at 11:34am

Or Sandra Oh?

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#14'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/13/11 at 5:30am

Same old Kathy. Same old shtick.

I'm sick of having to deal with 30 minutes of hearing about the inane Housewives. I happen to remember when KG was actually fearless with her weekly, off the cuff shows on Sunset in LA. She was a nobody then, which allowed her to say some pretty funny, but seriously slanderous things. Now, she's got more to protect and usually lobs softballs at her targets. She's gotten boring.

BN
Updated On: 3/13/11 at 05:30 AM

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#15'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:06am

BTW - Kathy said she wanted to film it but it cost $400,000 at least so it's probably not happening.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/13/11 at 10:23am

Bravo isn't putting up a lousy 400K for a two hour "comedy event"? It costs a hell of a lot more than that to produce one hour of those annoying housewives.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#17'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/13/11 at 2:30pm

I was debating on this one but now that I know she talks a lot about the Housewives, that seals the deal. I won't be seeing her.

Just give the world Love.

broadwayboy101
#18'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/13/11 at 2:51pm

Went to the show last night. She said maybe one line about the Housewives. She mainly focused on A-list celebs.

frankiec Profile Photo
frankiec
#19'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:44pm

I saw the show Saturday night as well and was VERY pleasantly surprised (the last time I saw her I was bored by half of her material). As stated above, she said literally one line about the housewives (maybe she got it out of her system on Friday). Her "set list" included a lot of celebs (Charlie Sheen, Whitney, Uma Thurman), a story or two about her mom, and some great bits about NYC (the umbrella graveyard), Bway (Spiderman especially), and her "rice paper"...well, you know.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#20'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/13/11 at 10:31pm

Anyone have a picture o the merchandise? How is the stagedoor?

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

broadwayboy101
#21'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/13/11 at 11:07pm

As far as merchandise goes, I believe there were 2 different shirts, some stickers, a magnet, a keychain, and some signed photo things of Kathy.

The stagedoor Saturday night was a mob scene. Kathy was incredibly gracious and signed for every single person and took a photo with anyone who asked.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#22'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/14/11 at 12:32am

What kind of things did she say about Spider-Man?

broadwayboy101
#23'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/14/11 at 12:46am

She said quite a few things about it, but the one I remember was something along the lines of "I don't know what the hell's going on over there, but I'm in."

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#24'Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony' tonight....
Posted: 3/14/11 at 2:30am

The jokes about her mom are the best.
"I don't know what the hell's going on over there, but I'm in." - That would be something she would say :) I am really bummed they won't be taping this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Videos