YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#1YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 5:09pm

What was your first role in a musical (ever, professional or not)?

Mine was:

KID IN TOWN in THE MUSIC MAN.

Only one line: Good morning, Mayor Shinn.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#2YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 5:12pm

I was a Munchkin in the Wizard of Oz. I was six.
I represented the Lollipop Guild.

The first role (with lines) I had was Eugene in Grease.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#2YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 5:33pm

Legitimate musical?

The King in ONCE UPON A MATTRESS.

Not the strongest singer, I wasn't el oh el Still amn't.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#3YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 5:37pm

Thénardier in Les Misérables.

ahhrealmonsters
#4YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 5:42pm

Mr. Sowerberry in Oliver!. Summer camp- I was around 10.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#5YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 5:59pm

Hugo Peabody in Bye, Bye Birdie in junior high school. I sadly learned I didn't really have anything to sing, save for a couple of lines in "The Telephone Hour". YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL

The next year I played Hines in The Pajama Game, that one was a lot of fun.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#6YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 6:19pm

King's Child in "The King & I", age 9

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#7YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 8:14pm

The Cowardly Lion in an elementary school production of Wizard of Oz,

but if we're talking roles I actually remember doing, it would be "Chester Lyman" in Barnum freshman year of high school.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 8:38pm

I was 7, in Bye Bye Birdie, I was one of the girls in Put on a Happy Face and I wore a blue rain slicker. I hated that raincoat.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MichaelRhodus Profile Photo
MichaelRhodus
#9YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 8:45pm

Jeb(the suitor) in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

lol

defygravity24 Profile Photo
defygravity24
#10YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 8:53pm

Mendel in Fiddler on the Roof!

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#11YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 8:54pm

Nothing. (Yet.) In the middle and high school theatre world, you have to kiss major ass to get a part, which I guess I haven't done enough of in the past 4 years. *shudder*

rmusic11322
#12YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 9:30pm

Mr. Brownlow in Oliver. I was 12 years old and it was weird to see a Filipino Mr. Brownlow have a Caucasian, blonde grandson. LOL.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#13YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 9:53pm

Ensemble in LEADER OF THE PACK (my sophomore year).

I was again Ensemble in ANYTHING GOES this year (my junior year).

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Nickira Margherita Profile Photo
Nickira Margherita
#14YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 9:55pm

Agwe in Once on This Island. Not only my first lead, but my favorite of the shows I've been in. The story is so simple yet so touching and the music is just infectious. The production itself was very tight and wonderfully cast as well. I loved singing "Rain" every night, its such an intense song and really sets the story into motion. "Pray" was a highlight each night, there was a huge tribal drum in the center of the stage with Ti Moune and Daniel on it, with the Gods and some of the ensemble circling the drum in a very tribal/almost voodoo fashion. I tried not to cry onstage each night towards the end, but as soon as Euralie finds Ti Moune's body and starts "Oh, Ti Moune" it got harder and harder to fight back tears. On the last night I couldn't help it and I had tears streaming down my face when I covered Ti Moune's body in a light blue sheet that had such a beautiful glow when the lights hit it.

So yeah, Agwe. Hehe sorry to ramble, I'm in a mood tonight.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#15YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 9:59pm

NM - Reading the entries above is making me extremely nostalgic as well. Ramble on!

AwesomeDanny
#16YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 10:07pm

Creeper (one of the lost boys) in Peter Pan when I was seven. I still have a video of that show, but after the age of nine, I just started getting too embarrassed to watch it or let anyone see it.

Dollypop
#17YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 10:11pm

My first show was the operetta THE DESERT SONG. My one line in it was: "Look, look, the fires on the hill!"

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#18YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 10:32pm

My first role was as the puppeteer of the Audrey II in LSOH (with minor roles as a male drag queen in Skid Row and a weird guy who gets turned down at the radio interview). Exhausting, especially moving the largest puppet in the 2nd act, but SO much fun.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#19YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 11:10pm

My first legit musical, I was 8 and played Jerome in South Pacific. I had to die my hair jet black and every kid in 4th grade kept asking when my hair was gonna change back.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#20YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 11:57pm

Age 15, Tobias in Sweeney Todd, after the original actor (an adult) booked a tour and bailed. I was definitely thrown into the deep end, but I thought the money was good and I was completely spoiled by an amazing experience with an amazing cast in an amazing facility; I remember being disappointed that the next show I did didn't have 8 perfs a week! Oh to be an idiot fifteen year old again...

Select a Member Name Profile Photo
Select a Member Name
#21YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/26/11 at 11:57pm

Graziella in West Side Story. I was about 13 or 14 years old?

"You have two kinds of shows on Broadway – revivals and the same kind of musicals over and over again, all spectacles. You get your tickets for The Lion King a year in advance, and essentially a family... pass on to their children the idea that that's what the theater is – a spectacular musical you see once a year, a stage version of a movie. It has nothing to do with theater at all. It has to do with seeing what is familiar.... I don't think the theatre will die per se, but it's never going to be what it was.... It's a tourist attraction." Stephen Sondheim

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#22YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/27/11 at 12:19am

Mae in Andrew Lippa's The Wild Party

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

spankatore2
#23YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/27/11 at 12:58am

Matt in The Fantasticks.

Katia2 Profile Photo
Katia2
#24YOUR FIRST ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Posted: 4/27/11 at 1:03am

Phyllis in Follies. Don't ask me why our drama teacher thought Follies would be a good musical for seventeen year olds to put on. Oy vey.