Riedel's predictions

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#1Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/29/11 at 7:15am

So we all know BOM will probably dominate the noms (and ultimately win) but I will be delighted if Scottsboro gets a Best Musical nom.

Of course that means one of the 4 current front runners (BOM, Sister Act, CMIYC, and Priscilla) will lose out. Riedel thinks the snub will go to.....

Link

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 4/29/11 at 07:15 AM

After Eight
#2Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/29/11 at 8:33am

Interesting the predilection for Scottsboro Boys over the other much-praised fall flop, Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson. In fact AJ got better overall reviews than SB, with some hats in the air raves. AJ, B+ on Stagegrade, SB, B- on Stage grade. Yet AJ is completely forgotten now.

It's also interesting to note the similarities between AJ and Book of Mormon and their differing fates. Both are sophomoric, jejeune, and labored. Both received many raves, and target a young, hip crowd. And AJ has a far superior score to the jingle jangles of BOM. I think the difference lies in the fact that AJ actually had some bite to it, while BOM is as soft as cotton candy, and so far more comforting.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#2Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/29/11 at 8:43am

Seems that with Stage Grade, you are looking at the Off-Broadway grades for Scottsboro and Andrew Jackson. For the Broadway versions, the (improved) Broadway version of The Scottsboro Boys got a B+, while the Broadway version of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson received a B.

Scottsboro
http://www.stagegrade.com/productions/495#

Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
http://www.stagegrade.com/productions/614#

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#3Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/29/11 at 8:49am

LOL @ "Baby It's Over". He's so wrong.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/29/11 at 9:09am

Even though the show was far from great, I'd prefer to see CATCH ME nominated over that mind numbingly horrible PRISCILLA.

After Eight
#5Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/29/11 at 9:15am

Smaxie,

You're right. Thanks for the correction.

I guess AJ's flaws became more apparent on second viewing!

I still think its score deserves a Tony nomination, if not the award itself.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#6Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/29/11 at 11:37pm

While I loved the set design and the uberly charasmatic performance of Benjamin Walker, I didn't love BBAJ as much as I was hoping to...Walker hopefully will get a shout out on Tuesday...

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#7Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/30/11 at 7:50am

I hope Walker is remembered, too, Vernon. However, I'm not holding my breath-leading actor in a musical is a tough category this year.

After Eight
#8Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/30/11 at 9:44am

I too hope Walker gets a nomination. As Vernon says, he has a lot of charisma, and I thought he gave one of the best performances in a musical this year.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/30/11 at 12:23pm

Why the dig at Donna Murphy? Don't really get why he picks on her whenever he gets a chance, ugh.
I hope Laura Benanti gets remembered come nomination time Riedel's predictions

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

bwayfan7000
#10Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/30/11 at 4:57pm

I think the difference in critical reception to BBAJ between off-Broadway and Broadway had more to do with some critics thinking the appeal was lost in a bigger Broadway house, thus accounting for the slight drop from a B+ to a B.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#11Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/30/11 at 7:07pm

It won't happen, but I would love to see John Cullum nominated for Scottsboro Boys. He was so chillingly charismatic (Does that even make sense?) and brilliant. But I don't think he has a shot.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#12Riedel's predictions
Posted: 4/30/11 at 8:31pm

I hope Benjamin Walker gets a nomination. He gave the best male lead performance this year, I think. Up there with Josh Henry. Sad they will both likely be forgotten. If they lose out, I'd hope Josh Gad wins. He is doing hilarious work at Mormon, but he was forgotten for the Drama Desk?

nuckyblue Profile Photo
nuckyblue
#13Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/1/11 at 2:08am

So here's the question of the hour... who will get the shaft in the Best Actress category? Six potential nominees and five spots...oof!!!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#14Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/1/11 at 7:42am

If there are 5 nominees, Janet Decal doesn't make the cut. There may, however, be only 4 nominees since there aren't at least 7 women eligible. In that case, I would guess that Janet and Sherie would be left out. But who knows, maybe it'll be Janet and Beth left out.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#15Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/1/11 at 1:45pm

Given that both Moises Kaufman and Susan Stroman are on the nominating committee, I expect we will see at least some live for Bengal Tiger and Scotsboro

bwayfan7000
#16Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/1/11 at 1:52pm

Interesting point, Michael Bennett. But wouldn't the committee bring up the bias in those cases?

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

rjm516
#17Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/1/11 at 2:20pm

How does that work, if the nominators are tied to productions?

homeimp
#18Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/1/11 at 4:28pm

I didn't like one thing about Andrew Jackson, whereas I liked just about everything about The Book Of Mormon. Populism, yeah, yeah, populism, yeah, yeah, populism, yeah, yeah. Yuck! I didn't laugh once during BBAJ. I laughed constantly throughout TBOM. I admit to being a little disappointed in the score for The Scottsboro Boys, but it's an outright masterpiece compared to BBAJ.

Ed_Mottershead
#19Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/1/11 at 5:11pm

Riedel made such a big hoo-haa about Murphy's multiple absences from Wonderful Town that I doubt he'll ever stop missing a chance to toss in another barb no matter what she says or does.

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 5/1/11 at 05:11 PM

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#20Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/2/11 at 1:09am

Re: Susan Stroman being on the Tony Nominating Committee, I don't think she is. I think people are confusing her and Susan Schulman:

http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/news/press_releases/2010-07-19/201007161279307461784.html

Maybe I'm wrong and they've changed the committee since that press release, but it appears that Stroman isn't on the nominating committee. Hope that "Scottsboro" still gets a little of the acclaim it deserves, regardless.

Katia2 Profile Photo
Katia2
#21Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/2/11 at 2:56am

I doubt that Janet Dacal will get a nomination. Wasn't huge on BBAJ, hope Scottsboro gets some nominations.
Riedel's ridiculous, his campaign on Murphy is just pathetic at this point. Wonder if he heard the interview where she called him a gossip columnist.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#22Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/2/11 at 7:32am

And Moises Kaufman recused himself (as have Kathleen Chalfant, Hope Clarke, Edgar Dobie, Andre De Shields and Donna McKechnie).

Updated On: 5/2/11 at 07:32 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#23Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/2/11 at 7:58am

Haha, Stro is definitely not on the committee. I had heard about Kaufman recusing himself. Any idea why the others did, Smaxie?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#24Riedel's predictions
Posted: 5/2/11 at 8:06am

Haven't heard the reasons - but usually it's that they are either working on a project or are unable to fulfill their obligation to see all of the shows.

Videos