pixeltracker

THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?

THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 9:47am

I just came back from Chita's "My Broadway" concert (she is currently in Australia), and she claimed that "we" are aiming for The Visit to reach Broadway next year....

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/22/11 at 09:47 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 9:48am

Oh wow! I wasn't aware they were even working on it still!

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#2THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 10:11am

That's great! I enjoy the vast majority of this score and hope they can pull it off. The subject matter is so dark but what a fascinating story.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 10:13am

This would be thrilling!! I thought that after their regional production all that talk died.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#4THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 10:21am

Yes please!

FrauleinKost    Profile Photo
FrauleinKost
#5THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 11:52am

Is it 2005 again??? Deja vu! Anyway, hope it's true.

"I chose and my world was shaken--so what? The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not. You have to move on"

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#6THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 12:18pm

If I remember correctly the project was developed for Angela Lansbury almost 11 years ago and it was supposed to be her comeback to Broadway stage in almost 15 years of absents, but she had withdraw from it (and a couple of very interesting film projects) due to her late husband illness. Then Chita Rivera took over the leading role, but the musical never made it to Broadway.

bwayfan7000
#7THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 12:42pm

Interesting, then, that THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS was touted as "the final Broadway collaboration between Kander and Ebb".

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#8THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 1:04pm

I hope this is true!!

I believe THE VISIT was written before THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS. So technically SCOTTSBORO was their final collaboration.

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#9THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 1:10pm

God I hope Chita's right. Unfortunately she said the same thing about The Visit "coming to Broadway next year" back in her concert shows in 2008 and 2010.

Maybe THIS time...

Finch
#10THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 9:41pm

I saw it at the Signature in Virginia a couple of years ago--great cast, Chita Rivera, George Hearn. It was well done and had some interesting music. I remember working on a college production of The Visit way back in the 60s., and later on trying to figure out how it could ever be a musical. Well, Kander, Ebb and Signature figured it out--very effectively.

JPF

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#11THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 9:43pm

Yeah, I think the whole Visit team is dedicated to trying to get to the show to Broadway. Hopefully they succeed!

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 9:48pm

It would probably behoove the production if it were a limited run under the auspices of a non-profit company in the city, such as Lincoln Center.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bwayfan7000
#13THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 9:52pm

"I believe THE VISIT was written before THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS. So technically SCOTTSBORO was their final collaboration."

This is certainly true. But I remember being struck when they said that it was the final Broadway collaboration on the Tonys (to me, at least, implying their last collaboration to play on Broadway) that this would become untrue should THE VISIT make it to Broadway. Technicalities, though. I would certainly see this should it be true.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#14THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 9:59pm

I would be thrilled if this finally made it here. I saw it at Signature and it is a production that has haunted and stuck with me since...in a good way. The performances, staging, and the score were wonderful and I count it among some of the best shows I have ever seen.

That being said...and I hadn't really thought about it until just reading Kad's post...it probably would best be suited for a run at a non-profit. Though, it belongs in an intimate off- Broadway house much like the Newhouse or the Pels (which despite my thoughts on Death Takes A Holiday, fit the show well). With Godspell taking the Circle (which would totally be ideal) and ROA setting up camp at the Hayes, this would be totally lost in a big Broadway house and would probably not be a commercial success.

Again, I hope Chita's sentiments prove true, but I hope it finds its way to NYC in a manner that suits the piece allows it to flourish.

bk
#15THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 10:02pm

Every time she says it's heading to B'way one of these threads appears. How many years is it now? Six? Every show everywhere is coming to Broadway.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#16THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 10:08pm

Well, unless she's blatantly lying or senile at least it implies that the project hasn't been abandoned, which is always good news?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bk
#17THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 11:35pm

She's doing what all actors do. Nothing hard to understand about that. Was she blatantly lying in 2006, 2008, and 2009 when she said it was coming in in those years? No, she was just doing what all actors do.

Brick
#18THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 11:48pm

I can't imagine there isn't renewed interest after the 12 Tony nods of SCOTSBORRO BOYS. Yes, it didn't find an audience but it was remembered well. Plus, it's receiving 2 top-tier regional theatre prods next season.

I, for one, hope it happens. I was disappointed when the planned Public production fell through.

bk
#19THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 12:24am

Yes, I'm sure producers are lining up to lose more money. But the beauty part is that in two years when she announces it's coming to Broadway in 2014 you can be excited all over again.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#20THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 9:43am

2014? Did you not read my post, bk? It's coming to Broadway in 2012. I've booked my flights and hotels, and cancelled my psychiatrist appointments because the news has cured my depression. Last time a production of this show fell through I nearly committed suicide I was so disappointed, but this time it's different. Because I know that it is going to come true, thanks Chita!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#21THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 9:47am

As awesome as the prospect of this finally reaching Broadway is, I'll believe it when it happens.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#22THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 1:06pm

Saw it in Chicago. Great grande dame role for Chita, who got to show what a fine actress she is. However, if there is a great musical to be made from Durenmatt's play, this is not it.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#23THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 5:47pm

I'm hoping Chita's name will be enough to generate some sales. Otherwise, the show will most likely go the way of The Scottsboro Boys. Only with far less choreography. The story is very dark with some rather bizarre characters that are fascinating and a bit more expected in a play, but as a musical, the score struggles to mesh well with the story in a way that enhances the original play. I don't see it as something that will be commercially successful, though the critics will probably praise it and musical theatre fans will gush profusely. I found it an interesting show, but think of it rarely.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#24THE VISIT with Chita Rivera aiming for Broadway 2012?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 9:30pm

YES PLEASE!

Clint. Atlanta,GA