pixeltracker

What famous characters could be described as bipolar?- Page 2

What famous characters could be described as bipolar?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#25What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 1:56pm

"It strikes me as weird to discuss a fictional character's psyche as if they had one outside of what the author provides."

Exactly, Taz! Its kind of useless to do and in a way very insulting to folks with the actual mental health issues. People throw around terms like "bipolar", "manic", etc when they are serious terms. It hurts people's feelings who have the actual diagnosis when people say to each other, "you're acting bipolar" or "Im so bipolar today."

I used to use the term "crackhead" humorously until a friend said, "you know Im a recovered crack addict and it really hurts me when you say that." I never forgot that.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#26What famous characters could be described as bipolar?

Henrik-Joan Crawford was a real person. Now how real that portrayal of her in "Mommie Dearest" is could be questioned. (The source is her daughter, Christina Crawford's book.)I think the film as a basis for judgment kind of gives the impression she had mood swings. (She also drank heavily, at least in the film.)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#27What famous characters could be described as bipolar?

Right you are, AC.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#28What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 2:00pm

Although it does stand to reason that there might be some elements of the way Burroughs portrayed her that might not be entirely truthful. At least I believe that's how she saw it.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#29What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 2:07pm

Roses are red,
violets are blue,
I am schizophrenic,
And so am I.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

SporkGoddess
#30What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 2:08pm

To add to the list, I REALLY hate when people say "I'm so schizophrenic on this issue." It doesn't even make sense!

madbrian: That joke is made by people who confuse schizophrenia with dissociative identity disorder.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 8/11/11 at 02:08 PM

henrikegerman
#31What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 2:20pm

"Henrik-Joan Crawford was a real person."

In a manner of speaking, yes.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#32What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 5:14pm

I don't think it's insulting or ridiculous to have that conversation at all. One of my favorite literary discussions is in fact the mental state of Sherlock Holmes and whether or not he had a mental disorder and how that contributes to the understanding of the stories Doyle wrote. It's actually a fascinating discussion given that mental illnesses weren't clearly diagnosed at the time the way they are today, so Doyle must have been writing on his own experiences with patients or possibly a friend.

There is much to be gained from the discussion, since talking about a character's mental state could easily give rise to an idea of their motivation. If you don't think a musical character deserves to be read into that much, you demean the art form. It's a common topic when talking about classic plays including Ibsen, Miller and of course Shakespeare. Why not musicals too? Not to mention it's a bit fun.

So, I'm not going to deprive myself of that. Throwing a few beyond just bipolar out there:

Mrs. Lovett- BPD (if you believe in that disorder)
Sweeney- sociopath
Sally Bowles- BPD
Stine (City of Angels) - schizophrenia!
Oscar (Sweet Charity)- Panic disorder
Nathan Detroit- Pathological gambling
Caroline (Caroline, or Change)- depression (?)
Frederik (A Little Night Music)- Schitzoid personality disorder
Cora Hoover Hooper (Anyone Can Whistle)- Narcissistic Personality Disorder

And of course, the various assassins in 'Assassins' each have their own string of crazy based on their respective historical figures.

I don't see the harm in the exercise, I don't see how it's insulting either. I know from the Sherlock Holmes discussion that many people I've spoken with about it frequently like to 'claim' Sherlock as their own disorder- it's quite funny to watch how frequently it happens actually.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

binau Profile Photo
binau
#33What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 5:18pm

Fredrick, Schizoid personality disorder, really??

The first song of the show (practically) is about him trying to f%$% Anne.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 8/11/11 at 05:18 PM

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#34What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 5:21pm

"a condition characterized by excessive detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of expression of emotions in interpersonal settings"

Of course, we could chalk it up to adolescent awkwardness, but he does seem introverted (or something to the like) to the nth degree.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

SporkGoddess
#35What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 5:33pm

You can't diagnose anyone under 18 with a personality disorder. Also, the behavioral pattern has to persist across all situations. I don't think Frederik meets enough criteria to warrant a disorder diagnosis. I'm not even sure he'd warrant a mention of schizoid traits on Axis II.

And BPD is one of the most validated and supported personality disorders, so IMO it's pretty silly to not believe it exists.
However, Mrs. Lovett does not come across as borderline at all to me. She's emotionally pretty stable and does not have the interpersonal pattern characterized by the personality style. I'd argue that she has some dependent and probably antisocial traits.

Updated On: 8/11/11 at 05:33 PM

musialman
#36What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 5:51pm

Just a small correction.

You don't just give someone with bi-polar disorder Prozac (an anti-deppresant). Without a good mood stabalizer (Seroquel, Lamactal, Lithium), you're looking at a Charlie Sheen.

Mattbrain
#37What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 6:00pm

Then what about Lucia from Women on the Verge?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#38What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 10:38pm

She's also crazy. Or maybe just deranged.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#39What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 10:41pm

She had a nervous breakdown.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#40What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 10:42pm

I always thought of the depiction of Georges Seurat in Sunday in the Park to be typical of someone with Asperger's. Not a mental illness, I know.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

henrikegerman
#41What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/11/11 at 10:52pm

Katurian are you talking about Fredrik or Henrik Egerman (not me, although I do suffer from narcissistic personality disorder here I'm referring to the actual character)? Either way, I don't see a schizoid personality.

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#42What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/12/11 at 2:38am

Probably not bipolar, but Rapunzel in Into the Woods (Act II) is definitely a nutcase.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#43What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/12/11 at 3:13am

what about Moritz in Spring Awakening? Would he qualify for anything?

ahhrealmonsters
#44What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/12/11 at 1:20pm

^ Moritz probably had/has clinical depression.

I don't know what she has, but Rose Havoc (in real life and the musical) was a little cray-cray.

SporkGoddess
#45What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/12/11 at 1:42pm

I think Moritz had more of an anxiety disorder.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#46What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/12/11 at 3:43pm

Dorothy Gale. Crazy as a rat in a tin ****house, that one.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Nettik
#47What famous characters could be described as bipolar?
Posted: 8/12/11 at 4:07pm

I think Moritz had a combination of depression and anxiety. The two often go hand-in-hand.