What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's

budfrump Profile Photo
budfrump
#1What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's
Posted: 8/19/11 at 12:16am

It had a pretty short Broadway run. Updated On: 11/8/11 at 12:16 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 7:40am

Use the search feature, I'm sure you will find threads from when it was around.

I wouldn't expect to find glowing reviews. (Although I'm sure it wasn't trounced by all.) The overall thing I remember is that people were shocked that the critics didn't rake it over the coals.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JMPlayer6 Profile Photo
JMPlayer6
#2What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 9:28am

I saw it on Broadway. I didn't care for it really. It was just OK, nothing more.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#3What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 10:40am

terrible...just awful.

RickyMT Profile Photo
RickyMT
#4What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 10:51am

The show itself isn't the best, but the OBC had many really talented people in it. Some of JRB's songs from the show where brilliant.

SporkGoddess
#5What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 10:51am

I was listening to the OBCR yesterday, and I cannot STAND the kid who plays Evan's voice. He's so nasally and whiney sounding! The character is already not very likable and this just makes it worse. Aghhh!

Sorry, just wanted to vent and this thread gave me the opportunity. What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 8/19/11 at 10:51 AM

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#6What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 11:00am

I saw it early in previews and it was extremely offensive as well as bad. I did enjoy some of the music and Aaron Simon Gross and Elizabeth Gillies were both great but the majority of what was on stage was just...not good. I heard it got better by opening, and that they removed the stupid "fag-mo" stuff, but the show I saw DOES NOT belong on any school stage, or youth group's stage, so I don't know who they created it for.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

dramamama611
#7What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 11:10am

Jacob -- I think this is the first time I've heard the word OFFENSIVE used. Could you elaborate? Also, what exactly does fag-mo mean? (I know 'fag', of course.)

(I'm not saying it wasn't -- I'm just curious.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#8What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 11:34am

The show was extremely true to life; if you think middle school kids don't use the word "fag" to insult each other... I would love to live in your world.

But, I too, would love to hear you elaborate.

Because, it's my opinion that anyone with exposure to teenagers would know that the book of '13' was really realistic, even if it made some uncomfortable, as all shows do.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#9What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 12:12pm

I think the reason I found it offensive is because it was clear to that it was created solely to make money from licencing to schools and youth groups while promoting the worst of youths. The term "fag-mo" (combination of faggot and homo) was constantly used by a majority of the cast, and (in my opinion) it was never made clear that it was wrong. Theatre is a powerful thing, and when it is created for kids we have to be careful. This show showed the worst (yes they actually happen) and made light of it.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

sweeneytodd2
#10What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 12:55pm

I think the show was a missed opportunity to say something really insightful about adolescence and growing up. If it feels true to life for thirteen year olds, it's only in a superficial way. And while thirteen year olds can be "superficial" in their interactions with each other, they can still make for deep and emotionally complex characters, and I feel like JRB only scratched the surface. I mean, Evan's parents are getting divorced and Archie's dying from a terminal illness, and the show just glosses over these issues with pithy one-liners. I understand JRB was aiming to please thirteen year olds, but he could have aimed for the more intelligent, sensitive strata of this age group, or at least given them a little bit more credit.
Updated On: 8/19/11 at 12:55 PM

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#11What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 1:00pm

Thought it was a stupid idea for a Broadway musical, but it had some cute tunes. Now, that said, the show was freaking awful. There were some talented kids in the production, but the show itself was just a piece of crap... many parts of it were offensive (the fag-mo stuff... I don't care if it is 'true-to-life', the fact was that they never raised an issue with the word) some parts were funny, but much of it was simply stupid. JRB is a brilliant writer who made a very bad business decision. Updated On: 8/19/11 at 01:00 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#12What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 2:40pm

I tried to listen to the OBCR but couldn't get past the 3rd song. Didn't get to see the show though.

Just give the world Love.

bwayfan7000
#13What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 2:58pm

If I remember from reading the threads about it when it began previews, all instances of the word "fag-mo" were removed very early on in previews, back when the show was two acts.

As for the show itself, I think it has a very mediocre book but a decent (in spots) score. The only reason I saw it live was for a very good youth theatre production of it that almost was able to hide the flaws of the piece. Though, I will say, I did enjoy the show, but I wouldn't have wanted to pay Broadway prices to see it...

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

dramamama611
#14What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 3:12pm

Hm...interesting. I've worked with MS kids for 15 years -- never heard the term. Fag, faggot, GAY all used as slurs, certainly...but not that one. Maybe it's a more regional thing?

but thanks for taking the time to explain!

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#15What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 3:14pm

I had never heard it before seeing the shows, and have not heard it since then either.

SporkGoddess
#16What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 3:19pm

I think it's kind of a dated term.

ActingIsLovee
#17What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 5:30pm

weren't a lot of people offended by the way they used terminal illness as a joke and certain things were deemed anti-semetic?
I saw one of the first previews and enjoyed it, but it was an awful show. fun to watch, but awful, and it didn't belong on broadway.

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#18What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 6:44pm

It was awful, but I remember being impressed by the female lead. My biggest issue with the show was that it felt like a very conscious, very cynical attempt to make an overtly commercial yet critic-proof musical. The artistic staff (authors included) escaped the critical ball-busting they deserved by hiding behind children, knowing full well that critics wouldn't bring their sharpened spears to a show staffed by kids. Meanwhile, I couldn't shake the feeling that the whole thing had been written just with the licensing rights, and a continuous stream of income, in mind. The whole evening was like paying to watch a commercial, and the bald-faced capitalism of the whole thing gave me the douche-chills.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#19What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/19/11 at 6:55pm

It was among the worst things I've sat through. I guess I really don't care what middle schoolers are doing at all. A few songs were OK.

That being said, I thought Elizabeth Gillies and Allie Trimm were the stand-outs. I saw it when it was in 2 acts, Elizabeth had a song that was cut that I thought seemed to be well-put together.

I also seem to remember feeling slightly offended with what ActingIsLovee said above. Just bizarre.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#20What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/20/11 at 12:17pm

Isn't the point of business to make money? I'm sure the producers were thinking in the long run, as all producers do (should).

I can see the terminal illness being seen as offensive, and the Jewish joke caught me off guard the first time I saw it. But for the life of me, I cannot understand how people think teenagers are so nice, that '13' portrayed them in an offensive way.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

dramamama611
#21What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/20/11 at 1:10pm

Sure the PRODUCERS are thinking $, but you'd like to think the creators are not. (At least, not foremost.)

I don't think anyone is saying that teenagers are always lovely, because they often are not. I don't think the comments meant portraying the charcters in such a way was offensive, but that the material was offensive to the audience.

provocation Profile Photo
provocation
#22What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:24am

Wow. So much hate.

Having not seen the show myself, I will say that I love a lot of the score. "Becoming A Man" is a song I wish I was age appropriate for because I would totally use it at an audition. The story seems a little, well, bland, and some of the jokes are being termed as "offensive," but it really is a wonderful score.

Side note: Ariana Grande and Liz Gillies are two incredible talents that I enjoy watching on Nickelodeon. Why "Victorious" is starring Victoria Justice and the two of them are forced to sit idly by while she is touted as an incredible talent is beyond me. They both sing circles around her.

I know, right?

dramamama611
#23What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/21/11 at 7:17am

Because singing isn't the only thing matters? However, in true Nikelodeon fashion, they have created more 1 dimensional characters and actors with horrible acting habits.

My kids watch the show...but I couldn't tell who anyone is except for Victoria Justice (And if that doesn't sound like a stage name, nothing does!)

SporkGoddess
#24What is everyone's thoughts on JRB's '13'?
Posted: 8/21/11 at 11:04am

Didn't some people also feel that it really made the Midwest look hickish and awful, too?