Posted: 8/24/11 at 12:46pm

Love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ienABdVDKs

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 8:18pm

I don't like Patti LuPone's rendition of this song...However, Howard McGillin is PERFECT!!

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#2Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 8:23pm

Fair enough.

But to me, Patti's effortlessly joyous vocals on this song have never been equaled.

Something for everyone!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#3Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 8:29pm

I feel like saying Howard McGillin is perfect is more a fact than an opinion.

But I have to second Reggie on how fantastic and joyous Patti sounds, on the whole score, really.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#4Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 8:55pm

I love how she doesn't move at all during the first verse, facing McGillin and belting the **** out of it. And then they slowly build the movement to a fantastic climax.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 9:10pm

Delightful.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#6Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 9:16pm

I don't know why, but I've never cared for Patti's vocals or her acting. I loved her in Gypsy, but beyond that... I don't know. Something about her rubs me the wrong way.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#7Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 9:22pm

I remember just being swept away by her. The last time I'd seen her, she'd been in a bed dying of cancer.

I was so suprised by her sexy, happy performance, with those soaring vocals.

The whole thing was pretty damn perfect.

Miranda3
#8Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 9:25pm

Diveeene! Watching this is like drinking a Red Bull fast. What an energy infusion! I saw the two of them in the revival at Lincoln Center in '87. Howard McG had just done Drood and his star was rising. There was talk at the time that Patti was too old to play Reno, but she blew that out of the water with her performance.

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#9Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 9:49pm

"There was talk at the time that Patti was too old to play Reno."

What was she, 38?? Sutton is 36 now.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 10:21pm

Seriously? Sutton doesn't look 36 to me.

danny10086 Profile Photo
danny10086
#11Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 10:29pm

I love the new recording but is Sutton trying to do a Patti impression because some of her vowel sounds are very pecuiliar, not like her singing on anything else I've heard her do? For those who've seen it ... is this a character thing?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#12Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 10:37pm

Oh, how I wish LuPone were doing concerts with McGillin instead of Patinkin. Now, THAT I'd go see.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Miranda3
#13Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 10:39pm

What is McGillin doing now?

givesmevoice
#14Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 10:45pm

I love the new recording but is Sutton trying to do a Patti impression because some of her vowel sounds are very pecuiliar, not like her singing on anything else I've heard her do? For those who've seen it ... is this a character thing?

When I saw the show, there were a few notes Sutton hit that sounded distinctly Merman-like. But, based on what I've heard, I thought she sounded like she was really putting on an accent (and it wasn't gelling for me).

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#15Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 10:46pm

^ He has some upcoming concerts at the Oak Room at the Algonquin Hotel.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#16Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 10:52pm

McGillin is also part of the new show IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU at the George Street Playhouse in New Brunswick, NJ with Tyne Daly, Edward Hibbert, Harriet Harris, and David Hyde Pierce directing...It opens in October.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Miranda3
#17Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 11:34pm

Thanks Quiz & Cape. I am no longer in NY so won't be able to see him. Sad. So sad.

broadwayguy2
#18Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/24/11 at 11:45pm

In that duo, Patti is CLEARLY the top.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#19Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/25/11 at 12:15am

I have to admit Patti's version is my all-time favorite.

Even better than Ethel and Bing Crosby:

http://youtu.be/LCfqIXiLxSE

Or Ethel and Frank Sinatra:

http://youtu.be/Vc7152gQK-U

But Ella and Nat King Cole are pretty swellegant:

http://youtu.be/e_HY17f6_xM

And, of course, Barbra:

http://youtu.be/b2_GCClUPyk

(Don't miss, at the 2:03 mark, Ryan O'Neal in white boxer shorts, a bowtie and fuzzy slippers. That's all there is to say.)

And it's only appropriate that we should let Mr. Porter himself have the last word:

http://youtu.be/i6oGytt0Hiw

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#20Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/25/11 at 3:19am

They're actually just his socks.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#21Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/25/11 at 3:41am

I've been watching this over and over again. I loved Sutton's performance and think she is an amazing triple threat musical comedy star, but I have to agree with givesmevoice. It kind of reminded me of Donna Murphy's weird accent for Ruth Sherwood in Wonderful Town (going for Rosalind Russell as Sutton is going for Merman). I think it really got in the way of Sutton having a distinct Reno vocally. Many times she was belting out a song and the voice just didn't sound completely hers. Especially when you compare it to her belting in Thoroughly Modern Millie. I understand that Reno is a different character then Millie, but I don't think the characterized singing did her any favors.

Patti, on the other hand, completely embodied everything that Reno is, yet of course still managed to sound like Patti. That unique phrasing, the earthiness and undeniable sensuality makes her Reno so vocally different from Merman's, but still as exciting and powerful. I mean, Patti's last two solo verses alone just totally make me hear this song for the first time. Her full throttled, almost desperate "You're broccoli" and then the way she sensually slides into "You're Romance..." WOW! I mean comparing that to the traditional way this song is sung is just mind blowing.

Sorry to go on about this, but I have been thinking about Sutton's performance since I saw it in July. I loved watching her on stage, but something about her singing (save for "I Get a Kick Out of You") sounded a little awkward. It's disappointing because I think Sutton has her own unique set of pipes that would have made her Reno just as vocally exciting.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#22Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/25/11 at 6:06am

So much better than the nonsense being performed at the Sondheim every night!

givesmevoice
#23Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/25/11 at 7:08am

Sorry to go on about this, but I have been thinking about Sutton's performance since I saw it in July. I loved watching her on stage, but something about her singing (save for "I Get a Kick Out of You") sounded a little awkward. It's disappointing because I think Sutton has her own unique set of pipes that would have made her Reno just as vocally exciting.

I was a little disappointed with her vocals, too, which was surprising to me. Going in, I was sure she'd knock it out vocally, but wasn't sure how she'd come across otherwise. Obviously she can sing the score, but I was just disappointed with how she sang it.

This reminds me of a lengthy article I read in the NY Times archives about Patti in the role. She touches on how she sees the role, and there are a few quotes and anecdotes about how her personality meshes with the way she's playing Reno.

She's The Top

Updated On: 8/25/11 at 07:08 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#24Patti LuPone and Howard McGillin
Posted: 8/25/11 at 8:01am

Oh, givesme--thank you so much for that article! I remember reading it with great excitement!

Videos