pixeltracker

And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....- Page 3

And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#50And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/5/11 at 9:59pm

I think whether or not Follies extends, it could be a safe bet that we'll see Bernadette Peters singing "Losing My Mind" at the Tonys-she is the big name in the show and the song is one of the more recognizable tunes from the show.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#51And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/5/11 at 11:00pm

again, Sister Act is finally doing good business and it should continue to improve. I see it sticking it out through the winter and lasting until Labor Bay 2012 at least. So the Broadway will NOT be available. And it's way too big for Rebecca anyway.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#52And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/5/11 at 11:43pm

But will Bernadette be nominated? I'd bet Maxwell over her...if it had to be one and not both. Depends on how the season goes. Category has a list already: Lauren Ambrose, Elena Roger, Audra Macdonald, Laura Osnes...

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#53And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/5/11 at 11:52pm

It's really early, of course, but I feel like, especially if the extension happens, there's going to be a real push for this to be Jan's "year." She should have at least 2 Tonys already.

And as much as I enjoyed Bernadette in Follies, Maxwell is far and away the best part of the show.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#54And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/5/11 at 11:53pm

2012 - The Year of the Maxwell.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#55And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/6/11 at 12:28am

I would LOVE to see Rosalind Elias get a nomination. Really hoping for some Supporting Actress noms for Follies (Paige, Houdyshell, White, and Elias are all viable candidates)

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#56And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/6/11 at 8:20am

I think Jan Maxwell will get bumped to featured, where she has a shot at winning. Compared to the roles played by Ambrose, Roger et al., Maxwell's role is featured (heck, I'd call it featured in this production, regardless of where the name is placed-the focus of the story in this production is Sally). I'd actually push her there so she has a chance.

That said, even if left in leading, Bernadette will get to sing "Losing My Mind"-it's one of the better-known Sondheim songs and Bernadette is a much bigger name, regardless of the reviews she received. (I actually love her performance and feel that it was the best female performance in the show. It was different from anything Bernadette has ever done and was incredibly heartfelt and dark. I got goosebumps watching her do "Losing My Mind".) As far as the category is concerned, I think Ambrose and Elena Roger are going to be very strong contenders, as is Laura Osnes. I don't envy either of the ladies from Follies (if, in fact, they choose to have them go head to head here).

As for featured actress from that, with the advent of Jesus Christ Superstar and Funny Girl, you get some competition there as well (the woman who plays Mrs. Brice and I'm assuming the actress who plays Mary Magdalene will be placed here), and probably someone from Godspell. I'd say if Maxwell were strategically placed here, she'd have a much better shot at winning. (Paige and White could conceivably get nods, however, I think that one song in act one may not be enough. I'd love for them to as I really loved their performances tremendously.)

I know I'll get attacked for my opinion, but is it not better to win in featured actress than lose in leading? (I think Burstein would have a shot in featured as well-and hope he wins. He was incredible.)

#57And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/7/11 at 12:28am

Looks like "Nice Work" is struggling to find a Theater. It's good to hear that Priscilla is making money!
Riedel Article

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#58And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/7/11 at 2:12am

Sounds like theatres are hard to come by this season.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#59And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/7/11 at 3:08am

Glad to hear that Priscilla is picking up steam. Knew that $750K nut was bull.

justafan2
#60And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 7:24am

Why is Priscilla still selling tix thro' March? I bought tix for the midde of January---hope it's still open.

philitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
#61And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 7:33am

Apparently Evita tickets for general public go on sale 29 oct.
Group tickets (Givenik) and some special tix already available ... it's still the Marquis.
Updated On: 10/14/11 at 07:33 AM

AnythingGoes2
#62And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 7:44am

Sondheim shows never sustain at packed houses. Follies would struggle, unless re-casted with big names, to fill The Marquis thru the awful Jan-March season. Best to go out with a bang, however much I would love for this show to stick around.

I can't see Evita at The Marquis... condsidering back in 2007 the show was sized up for The Neil Simon and almost went in, I'm surprised its not going there.

Priscilla was a slowburner in the West End, three years later its only just posted notices, wouldn't right this one off yet.

I hope Nice Work goes to The Schubert or The Broadway...

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#63And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 8:17am

"Casted" is not a word.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#64And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:56pm

Oy, the Jan Maxwell is going to be featured thing is starting again?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#65And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:18pm

I was at FOLLIES a third time last Saturday afternoon, and the upstairs was half empty. I think the Jan - March period would not sell, if October isn't SRO, and the extension, sadly, is unlikely.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#66And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:27pm

I think we should assume EVITA will be in the Marquis. they always had that deal and I bet it goes there.
TONY-wise, I believe Bernie will get a nod, she's the star, the draw and ahe's amazing in the role.
If Maxie is nommed(she should be), her bag could be empty again thanks to Ms. Audra. Jaynie, Terri and Elaine are all featured contenders.
The FOLLIES ladies could be forgotten come voting time.
(Remember LaPone and Benanti?)
Nominators have longer memories than voters.
Maxie will def be considered Lead, chill Phyll.
Updated On: 10/14/11 at 02:27 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#67And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:38pm

I want my next screenname to be Chill Phyll. Maybe Chyll Phyll!

Ed_Mottershead
#68And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:40pm

Slightly off topic, however, having been around throughout the entire Sondheim/Broadway era, I have found that, as a rule, Sondheim shows are venerated by the diehard musical theatre buffs, but are not to the overall taste of the "tired businessman." As a result, after the original hoopla, his shows don't sustain long runs. Exceptions include shows written in collaboration with other composers (West Side Story, Gypsy) or that are atypical Sondheim (Funny Thing). I'm not going to get into the pro/anti Sondheim thing -- IMO, he's a genius, he's served the musical theatre magnificently and I have spent many hours of my life luxuriating in his music and his shows. But he's not to the taste of a large portion of John Q. Public theatregoers. And PLEASE don't anyone throw up Little Night Music -- yes, it did make money, both the original and the revival. But what else? Sweeney Todd, Follies, Company, Pacific Overtures, Merrily, Sunday in the Park, Into the Woods -- all ended up in the red. The works are too complex, too challenging and too difficult for someone wanting to have just a relaxing "good time."

BroadwayEd

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#69And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:15pm

One thing about this thread saddens me. All this talk of nominations for roles which aren't even cast yet. This talk just seems to confirm that nominations aren't for "best performance" but rather just automatic nominations for "best roles". Do people really feel this way?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#70And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:19pm

Yes, but I think that also manifests in the nominations themselves, many a year.

CurtainPullDowner
#71And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:22pm

Some roles are written better than others, some more flashy and therefore the speculation is that they may be deemed TONY worthy, but it doesn't always assure anything.

What roles this season haven't been cast yet? Besides GHOST.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#72And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 4:08pm

The pre-sale for this show starts in a couple of days..I couldn't see a theatre name but I imagine because we haven't heard otherwise, it's the Marquis.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

CurtainPullDowner
#73And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/14/11 at 4:23pm

Phylly is chilly and hard as a stone.
Maxie is Smacksie but thin as a Bone...

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#74And one more scoop - EVITA is now likely to move to....
Posted: 10/15/11 at 1:52pm

Rhymers that Cracksie deserve to atone...
Updated On: 10/15/11 at 01:52 PM