#50Favorite Finales?
Posted: 10/13/11 at 12:52pm

MAMMA MIA! and Rock of Ages

They ended with my favorite songs :)

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#52Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/18/17 at 10:26am

GREAT COMET for sure. After watching Pierre spend a whole show (and like 600 pages of W&P) searching for meaning, only to find it in loving another...so beautiful. The music is just gorgeous too. 

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG-both versions, leaning a little more towards the original (ending on "The Hills if Tomorrow"Favorite Finales?                                         . I find that show to be so poignant, especially considering what went on with the production (e.g. how the actors were so young and idealistic like the characters and such). The ending ties it together perfectly. 

SWEENEY TODD-I tend to like more understated finales (as evidenced by my previous choices) but I couldn't not add this as well!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#53Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/18/17 at 12:06pm

Hamilton. For a show that spends two and a half hours being explosive and epic, to end on such a quiet, understated note and with the spotlight on Eliza absolutely shatters my heart.

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#54Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/18/17 at 2:46pm

Les Mis's "Do You Hear The People Sing" definitely takes first place for rousing finale!

In a totally different way, I love Groundhog Day's gentle and meaningful "Seeing You" finale.

For pure fun, "Singing in the Rain" has an incredible show-stopping (literally) finale! 

PurpleSummerHathaway Profile Photo
PurpleSummerHathaway
#55Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/18/17 at 3:05pm

What a fun thread to bring back! Personally I'm a big fan of an understated, meaningful finale such as:

1. Spring Awakening-Song of Purple Summer Okay if I had this song as my username and didn't mention it...that would be weird. It is so pretty and I love Ilse in it. 

2. Falsettos-Falsettoland (reprise) I can't make it through that song without crying. Brandon Uranowitz's voice...

3. Fun Home-Flying Away HARMONIES FOR DAYS. I love all three Alisons singing together so much. So much meaning. 

4. DEH-For Forever (reprise) CHILLS ALL AROUND. I mean, everyone in the theater is already crying at this point, and having all the characters come on stage as a little epilogue wraps up the story perfectly. 

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#56Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/18/17 at 4:51pm

Rent & Hairspray are my favorite finales! 

pupscotch
#57Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/18/17 at 7:56pm

Sunday in the Park with George. When the whole cast bows to George, and George's final lines? Chills. That entire reprise is beautiful, but those moments are just sublime.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#58Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/18/17 at 9:35pm

Favorite Finales?

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#59Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/18/17 at 9:48pm

SITPWG- Sunday. I've never cried at a show, but I have teared up. This is one of those moments that does not need explaining. 

Hairspray- You Can't Stop the Beat. Hairspray has one my favorite finales ever, and it's not very hard to see why. It's just really energetic and fun, and I can never watch a production of it without humming or singing along. 

Hello, Dolly!- Finale. Dolly doesn't have the most emotional or rousing final number, but it does have one that manages to kick me in my nostalgia-filled heart. Seeing Dolly and Horace dance and hearing them sing together makes me tear up, admittedly.

West Side Story- Maria holding the gun and then weakly letting it go is one of my favorite theatrical moments. Watching the Sharks and Jets walk away with Tony and Maria also speaks volumes. 

Hamilton- Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story. Wow. I have no words for this one.

non-stop26 Profile Photo
non-stop26
#60Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/18/17 at 10:31pm

TL5Y- Cathy happily singing goodbye until tomorrow and Jamie solemnly  saying goodbye forever... tears every time.

Les Mis- gorgeous and uplifting 

Company- I know the cast sings a reprise of "Company" during bows, but I'm taking about "Being Alive", one of my all time favorite songs. 

SIPWG- no words

Updated On: 8/18/17 at 10:31 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#61Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/19/17 at 12:07am

Fiddler on the Roof - the final violin solo gets me every time.

Fun Home - all the Alison's coming together with the younger Alison singing "I wanna play airplane" while the older Alison sings "Flying Away" -- that had me ugly crying.

Merrily We Roll Along - either ending is chilling. But I think the original of Frank thanking "his best friend Charlie Kringas" for the song they are about to sing (Hills of Tomorrow) is even more so. 

The Great Comet - the final "light" going out as Pierre finishes that gorgeous solo is amazing.

Carousel - one of the best closing anthems ever composed.

CoolDogeGuy Profile Photo
CoolDogeGuy
#62Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/19/17 at 1:40am

Rent: "Finale B / No Day But Today" - The whole song gives me absolute chills and almost makes me cry EVERY TIME.

Hamilton: "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story" - Eliza's gasp makes me super happy for some reason....

Rock of Ages: "Don't Stop Believin" - Who doesn't love a classic 80s rock song?

Dear Evan Hansen: "Finale" - I clapped and "WOOOOO!!!"-ed so much after the finale my hands and throat hurt.

Everyday Rapture: "Up the Ladder to the Roof" - I just cannot get those harmonizations out of my head!!! Plus, BETSY, SHERIE, AND LINDSEY!!!! Favorite Finales?

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion the Musical: "Changing Lives (One Outfit at a Time)" - This is one of the BEST songs in the whole show.

Waitress: "Opening Up (Finale)" - I just love when Lulu runs on stage.

Spring Awakening: "The Song of Purple Summer" - Amazing. Truly amazing.

The Color Purple: "The Color Purple (Reprise)" - This finale also gives me absolute chills.

Hairspray: "You Can't Stop the Beat" - I love how some of the characters get to have their moment to shine in the spotlight (and Edna's surprise entrance)!

Into the Woods: "Finale: Children Will Listen" - One of the best Broadway songs ever to be written and composed.

Amelie: "Where Do We Go From Here" - IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL (AND PHILIPPA SOO)!

Heathers: "Seventeen (Reprise)" - I love the reprise of Seventeen even more than the actual song!

American Idiot: "Whatsername" (Good Riddance doesn't count because it's at curtain call) - I love how they made Whatsername sound so incredible.

Chicago: "Nowadays" - I love how Velma & Roxie joke about their lives as murderesses. 

Groundhog Day: "Seeing You" - No words.

Beautiful: The Carole King Musical: "I Feel the Earth Move" - I CAN'T STOP SINGING IT

Kinky Boots: "Raise You Up / Just Be" - Who else plays the air guitar the first second this song comes on?

Matilda the Musical: "When I Grow Up / Naughty (Reprise)" - I would love to ride one of those scooters and do Matilda's infamous pose! Favorite Finales?

School of Rock: "Finale" - SIERRA BOGGESS AND STICK IT TO THE MAN Favorite Finales?

If/Then: "What If? (Reprise)" - That last note is amazing.

9 to 5: "Nine to Five (Finale)" - IT'S SOOOOOOOOO CATCHY!!!!

In Transit: "Finale" - I just love the a capella sounds and it's amazing how they were able to do this on Broadway! Favorite Finales?

Bring It On the Musical: "I Got You" - The beat is super catchy at the beginning! GENIUS LIN (and AMANDA & TOM)! Favorite Finales?

The Bodyguard the Musical: "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" - Classic 80s song brought to life on stage. Can we have more of those, please? Favorite Finales?

Yes, I know this is SOOOOOOOO many. But, all of these finales (in my opinion) are just incredible. Especially "No Day But Today" from Rent. It gives me intense chills (and is the only one on this list to do so) and is the best one out of all of the ones in my list, which is why it's at the top. Favorite Finales?

HELLO PEOPLE! :D

lindsayxxjb
#63Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/19/17 at 2:12am

Billy Elliot!

saraeo11
#64Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/19/17 at 9:49am

Most definitely Sweeney Todd

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#65Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/19/17 at 9:57am

Phantom of the Opera - the last few minutes still sends chills down my spine, no matter how many times I've seen it. 

Gypsy - at least when I saw it with Tyne Daly and Christa Moore at the end, the two of them walking off sage together after Daly belted out 'Rose's Turn'. Almost brought tears to my eyes. 

Les Miz - as mentioned before. Still gives me chills. 

coreman009
#66Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/20/17 at 12:08am

Just searched on Culturalist and there were a few lists making an aggregate. My own favorites include Sweeney Todd, Hamilton, Rent, and  In The Heights. Make your lists!

https://www.culturalist.com/c/best-finales-in-broadway-musicals-1082

coreman009
#67Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/21/17 at 11:51am

My personal favorites include Sweeney Todd, Hamilton, Phantom, and In The Heights. 

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#68Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/21/17 at 12:36pm

"Sunday in the Park with George"

"A Chorus Line"

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#69Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/21/17 at 12:56pm

"Midnight Radio" from HEDWIG has to be my absolute favorite with a few honorable mentions:

"Falsettoland (Reprise)"  from FALSETTOS

"Finale" from PARADE

"Goodbye Until Tomorrow/I Could Never Rescue You" from THE LAST FIVE YEARS 

"Hear My Song" from SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD

"Light" from NEXT TO NORMAL

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

BwayDreamer00
#70Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/22/17 at 1:02am

The Cabaret finale is truly magificent and thought provoking. 

The Annie ending is so heartwarming and sweet 

The Little Mermaid finale is actually really beautiful and the lyrics are nice 

pg1287
#71Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/22/17 at 7:08am

So many!!

-Rent

-Book of Mormon

-Hairspray

-Kinky Boots

-The Little Mermaid

-Hamilton

-Fun Home

-The Lion King

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#72Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/22/17 at 7:10am

I've got a soft spot for the Finding Neverland finale. Wish they had kept it the same for the tour.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#73Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/22/17 at 8:15am

The Matilda cartwheels.  Understated and sweet. 

Updated On: 8/22/17 at 08:15 AM

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#74Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/22/17 at 9:18am

Agree with all of these!  Here are a few more favorites:

"Only For Now" Avenue Q

"The Old Red Hills of Home"  Parade

"Everybody's Got The Right"  Assassins

and especially

"Listening to You"  The Who's Tommy, one of my top 5 for sure

green waver
#75Favorite Finales?
Posted: 8/22/17 at 9:44am

Really hard category, I think. Is one's favorite because of its soaring, magnificent music-You'll never Walk Alone, Make Our Garden Grow,Sunday-or is a more joyous uplifting finale like Can't Stop the Beat or Raise your Hand the ultimate finale? What about the quieter, book driven endings like West Side Story, or My Fair Lady or The King and I? They're all perfect in their own way.