Porgy And Bess 1st Preview

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#1Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 9:48am

Anybody going?? Sorry for the auto correct in the title.

Updated On: 12/17/11 at 09:48 AM

LayerBoy4
#2Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 11:27am

I went to the invited dress last night! Unfortunately, I didn't make it out to see it in Boston, so I'm afraid I won't be great at drawing comparisons as to what did or didn't change since its initial run. I will say that the production is beautifully sung, and that Norm and Audra give two winning performances as Porgy and Bess. The ensemble is strong, and the featured members, particularly Nikki Renee Daniels and Joshua Henry, come across very well. The choreography looked a little strange to my eyes, and felt rather forced any time it happened, but this will probably be smoothed out over the next few weeks. Orchestra sounded good, not great, which was surprising, but it's a dress rehearsal so it's rude to nitpick them too much. However, I'm sure after yesterday's run of the overture, some of the members went home and practiced on their own a bit.

Overall, the plot drudges around slowly initially, and the show feels completely unfocused for the first 45 minutes. This, however, is the way the original feels to me as well. Leaving the theater, I did not quite know what opinion I held of what I'd just seen, which was also my reaction to "On A Clear Day..." if that holds any merit of comparison.

:-/

Mattbrain
#2Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 11:49am

Layerboy, have they redesigned the set? What did it look like?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

LayerBoy4
#3Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 11:59am

From looking at pictures from A.R.T, the set seems to have remained similar - lots of wood, lots of ambiguity. Ms. Paulus prefaced the rehearsal saying that some drops had not been installed yet and there there were 8 hours of tech left to do before Saturday night's performance.

FindingNamo
#4Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 12:11pm

Diane Paulus = Julie Taymor Lite + PT Barnum

Did she ask the audience to donate money to help cover the costs of the 8 additional hours of tech?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

musicalperson17
#5Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 3:39pm

i was planning on trying to grab a ticket this weekend but they appear to be sold out

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#6Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 4:23pm

I will be there. Skeptically.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#7Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 5:11pm

I'll be there next week :) So excited.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#8Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 5:12pm

Am interested in hearing people's opinions as I would like to see next week. Most of the available tickets however were premium except for the front row which was regular price.
I cannot recall from "In the Heights" how high the stage is.
Any comments would be appreciated.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#9Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 6:56pm

This whole thing strikes me as something that would interest only diehard musical theater or opera fans, not general audiences. Unless critics are over-the-moon about his production (and how likely is that? and even then...) I think they'll have a hard time completing a limited run -- not unlike Follies.

kyle4
#10Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 7:11pm

i'm ON it...

2 shows TONIGHT... PORGY & BESS and then...

ICONS....

BUSY theaterbuff.... VERY VERY busy !!!!!

read it all here >>>. http://thetheaterbuff.typepad.com/the-theater-buff/

later people !!!

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

TheHappyPhantom
#11Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 7:22pm

Audra alone is enough to sell me a ticket. Could easily be tony number 5

buddy 11432 Profile Photo
buddy 11432
#12Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/17/11 at 11:58pm

I saw "Follies" and wish I had saved the money. I feel much more enthusiasm for "Porgy and Bess."

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#13Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 12:09am

sooo who saw it and wants to share?

TheHappyPhantom
#14Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 12:25am

Dont' know what show you saw, Buddy. Follies is the strongest show in bway right now.

As for Porgy, we await the reviews.

TheHappyPhantom
#15Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 12:25am

Dont' know what show you saw, Buddy. Follies is the strongest show in bway right now.

As for Porgy, we await the reviews.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#16Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 12:35am

FOLLIES is the "strongest play on Broadway right now"?

::coughcoughWickedBookofMormonLionKingcough::

http://docandraider.com

LegallyBroadway2
#17Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 12:40am

^Spider-man

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#18Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 1:02am

Follies is respectable... but not the strongest show on Broadway.

I think the strongest musical would be Book of Mormon.

This current Follies is neither the best production of Follies nor the worst (that would be the roundabout production from a few years back)

And remember is all SUBJECTIVE anyway

miss pennywise
#19Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 1:18am

I saw it tonight.

Diane Paulus has to be the worst director on Broadway. How can anyone take this glorious music and Audra McDonald and make them seem bland?

Ask Diane!

~ Best12Bars

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#20Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 1:22am

Care to elaborate?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

TheHappyPhantom
#21Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 2:02am

Diane Paulus is remarkably similar to Julie Taymor when interviewed. and that's not a good thing. I love Hair, and her production of that left a lot to be desired.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#22Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 2:22am

So for those who went how was? I am anxious to hear how it was.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

miss pennywise
#23Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 3:27am

Hey, Blaxx! Porgy And Bess 1st Preview                     I would love to "elaborate"...especially for you (long-time fan here). However, in order to do so, I would have to plunge head-first into the lukewarm cesspool of blandness in Ms. Paulus's backyard, which would require my being thoughtful, fair, engaging, witty, passionate, seductive, colorful, empathetic, pointed, exciting, skillful and communicative in my public commentary. (Perhaps not ALL of these, but one or two wouldn't be bad.)

In other words, in my effort to enlighten, connect or simply share ideas with my fellow theatre-lovers, you would like me to be all of the things in the creation of my meaningless post on BroadwayWorld.com (no offense, guys!) that Ms. Paulus *should have been* in the mounting of this major revival of an internationally revered modern opera.

I, an anonymous message board member, should spend time (for which I am not paid nor considered an "expert" in my field) trying to "recreate" for the reader the extremely bland blandness of Diane Paulus. You know, the director of this multi-million-dollar BROADWAY production of an American masterpiece by the 20th Century's Stephen Sondheim (and his big brother) that stars none-other than 4-time Tony Award (little "r-in-a-circle" inserted here, slightly raised) winner Audra McDonald. The musical's director with a completely sold-out Broadway house, seats in which cost people actual money to occupy (little "r-in-a-circle" inserted here, slightly raised) for a couple of hours.

Why should I spend any time trying to make Diane Paulus interesting when SHE didn't spend any time trying to make freaking PORGY AND BESS interesting?

Porgy And Bess 1st Preview

~ Best12Bars

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#24Porgy And Bess 1st Preview
Posted: 12/18/11 at 3:39am

Maybe because we wanted to hear what you thought of the SHOW, and not Ms. Paulus? Or at least, how referring to her as boring translated to the show being boring.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.