pixeltracker

Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose

Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/21/11 at 7:46pm

It's a nice little clip of Tovah Feldshuh as "Mama Rose" in "Gypsy". It does include an abbreviated sequence where Tovah shows some dark garments. Uh..o.k. from RC in Austin, Texas

Tova As Mama Rose

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 12/21/11 at 07:46 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/21/11 at 8:01pm

Oh my god. This is SO AWFUL. I almost didn't recognise "Together Wherever we go". Well I didn't at first. The 'orchestra' sounds disgusting. Her acting in Rose's Turn is hilarious.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

AMH Profile Photo
AMH
#2Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/21/11 at 8:31pm

That was atrocious!

"I'm the swell swab on the poop deck."

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#3Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/21/11 at 8:39pm

But yet....the Critic's love her. Don't know why...but they do. I guess they praise her for making Rose "darker" and more "on the edge of insanity"
Okay fine...but at least give the score justice...and don't make Rose a complete nutjob.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#4Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/21/11 at 8:46pm

I tried, but I could barely get through the whole video. It almost seems like a nightmarish dinner theater version of "Gypsy". And you really don't want to stay for the dessert course while Tovah serves up some "Rose's Turn"

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/21/11 at 8:48pm

I hear she serves up a mean Cream pie.

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#6Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/21/11 at 9:46pm

Goodness gracious! I've heard worse orchestras, but this one's still a little iffy. Vocally, I don't think Tovah's that bad. Once again, I've heard worse. This really feels like promo clips taken during a dress rehearsal where everyone wasn't giving their all.

I applaud Tovah for doing something...different (?) with the role, but she might need to dial it down a few notches. Is it wrong that I still find her more convincing than Bette Midler in the role, even from these clips? I figure I'll be alone on this one!

I'm still curious as to if anyone on these boards has seen the production live.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#7Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/21/11 at 10:39pm

"Fa me fa me fa me fa me fa me."

I know you. I know you. I know you.

#8Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/21/11 at 11:03pm

OMFG!

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#9Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 1:21am

My, my, my, my, my! Oy. Well, as I TRY ever-so-hard to like Mamafeldshuh. her "Rose's Turn" was almost more than my heart could bear. On the positive side, her book moments shown here seemed fine, but everyone run for cover when the orchestra comes in... yikes!

Updated On: 12/22/11 at 01:21 AM

RickyMT Profile Photo
RickyMT
#10Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 5:55am

Hahahaha I remember seeing this on the "terrible productions" thread from a while ago.
Its so bad, I have to watch it a couple of times... how does she have so many Tony's/ Why was she doing MT and not straight plays?

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#11Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 5:58am

oh man. that is rough. I would have sooner believed it was a sketch. yikes

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead
Updated On: 12/22/11 at 05:58 AM

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#12Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 7:31am

Nice cameltovah

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#13Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 8:26am

If I didn't know better, I'd think Mazeppa was covering Rose.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#14Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 8:29am

I couldn't even get through it . . . . it was SO frightening.

EDIT: I decided to give it another chance. Still scary . . . more because I can't believe anyone would think that would sell tickets. Unless they pair it with the tag line . . . "Mama Rose will show you her Granny-panties."

". . . POP . . ."
Updated On: 12/22/11 at 08:29 AM

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#15Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:08am

yeah why did she keep flashing her thighs?

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#16Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:13am

Tovah is convincing in the books scenes but she goes wild when singing it appears.

Why is she doing the mambo from West Side Story during "Rose's Turn." Things that make you go hmmmmm......

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

FrauleinKost    Profile Photo
FrauleinKost
#17Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 11:44am

LOL! that was my reaction, too--why did she randomly launch into Anita from West Side Story??

"I chose and my world was shaken--so what? The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not. You have to move on"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 11:46am

Because Tovag isn't just one character, she's all of them.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#19Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 12:51pm

I just might take one for the team and go see this production up close and personal!

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#20Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 1:01pm

Kalima, you better ask the ushers to do the pre-flight announcements so you know where the emergency exits are.

". . . POP . . ."

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#21Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 2:05pm

Haha! You guys are cracking me up! I say go see it! I'm curious to see if she's toned down the choreography a bit.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#22Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 3:09pm

Oh Hanna, honey, you are too funny!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#23Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 4:14pm

It really is more like "Mazeppa's Turn."

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#24Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Posted: 12/22/11 at 5:32pm

Why is she doing the mambo from West Side Story during "Rose's Turn." Things that make you go hmmmmm......

BettyBoy, that one was priceless!
The "for me" part gets very scary...I can't believe they're promoting the show like this. But credit where credit is due, she doesn't seem half bad in the book scenes. Maybe they should've split the role a la ON A CLEAR DAY revisal? Oh Yes They Did... Playbill Shows Tova As Rose
Kalimba, you must report if you do dare go see this!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Videos