pixeltracker

Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened- Page 2

Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#25Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/18/12 at 2:18pm

Wasn't Disney going to do HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME for ABC?

Don't forget DAMN YANKEES with Jake Gyllenhaal (sp?) and Jim Carey.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#26Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/18/12 at 2:21pm

Wasn't Disney going to do HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME for ABC?

Don't forget DAMN YANKEES with Jake Gyllenhaal (sp?) and Jim Carey.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#27Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/18/12 at 2:34pm

It's quite possible that a movie of "She Loves Me" with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke would be my favorite thing ever. What a bummer that it never happened!

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#28Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/18/12 at 8:26pm

"Back in 2005. Renee Zellwegger was reported to be in talks to star in a remake if CABARET reportedly based on the Sam Mendes production. "

Assuming Sam Mendes would have directed this CABARET remake, why would he have not wanted his (then) Wife Kate Winslet???

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#29Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/18/12 at 9:10pm

"Wasn't Disney going to do HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME for ABC?"

Yes, they were! I remember it even being in Alan Menken's bio for the LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS revival.

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE was offered to be made into a movie. James Lapine said in the audio commentary on the dvd, that he was offered to either make it into a movie or just film the production. After spending years on the show, getting it to Broadway, he said he was "so sick of it" and didn't want to spend another two years developing it on film. He wanted to move on to other projects, so he went with just filming it. He did say though, that he regrets his decision.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#30Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/19/12 at 1:28pm

I would love a movie version of Elton John's AIDA and a live action movie of Disney's HUNCHBACK.

Let's hope they both happen sometime.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#31Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/19/12 at 3:13pm

Years ago there was a lot of talk about Steven Spielberg's animated Cats on screen. Like so many of the other aborted stage-to-screen attempts mentioned on this thread, the topic was raised often enough to raise people's hopes and then forgotten for some period of time. This mention in a 1991 Entertainment Weekly article happened during one of the lulls: https://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,315865,00.html

I remember being worried that the production would resemble a classic Disney cartoon, but I had hopes when I saw drawings such as these: https://one1more2time3.wordpress.com/tag/amblimation/ Click the link and search for the word "blitz".

And, one more for the list . . . the screen adaption of The Drowsy Chaperone that BWW announced as a done deal last September: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Geoffrey-Rush-to-Star-in-Film-Version-of-THE-DROWSY-CHAPERONE-20110914 No one is holding his or her breath for this one, but we did have fun casting the production in another thread.

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#33Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/19/12 at 6:59pm

According to IMDb's page for High School Musical (and info about working titles), Grease 3 evolved into HSM. Then again, the info is user-submitted, so make of that what you will.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

CandiceElyse Profile Photo
CandiceElyse
#34Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/19/12 at 10:20pm

A couple years ago there was also all that talk about a South Pacific movie remake. I specifically remember them saying it would be "darker" than the original piece and of course all the hypothetical casting fun that came with it :)

Judy Garland & Gene Kelly <3

postergirl
#35Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/20/12 at 10:05am

"And, one more for the list . . . the screen adaption of The Drowsy Chaperone that BWW announced as a done deal last September: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Geoffrey-Rush-to-Star-in-Film-Version-of-THE-DROWSY-CHAPERONE-20110914 No one is holding his or her breath for this one, but we did have fun casting the production in another thread."

Keep holding your breath.....it's still in the works.

Rumpelstiltskin
#36Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/20/12 at 11:37am

Keep holding your breath.....it's still in the works.

Cool, I'll keep holding. If you have any details, please update the other thread: http://tinyurl.com/Drowsy-Chaperone-movie

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#37Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/20/12 at 12:43pm

I remember being worried that the production would resemble a classic Disney cartoon, but I had hopes when I saw drawings such as these

Those drawings are intriguing, but I wonder why it focused on images of the destruction of WWII. I can only assume they were attempting to add a "dark" or "edgy" layer just for the sake of doing something different.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#38Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/20/12 at 12:47pm

I forgot about Promises Promises, it got far enough that Bacharach wrote a song for it (I believe without David...)

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#39Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/20/12 at 1:10pm

Weren't there talks for a movie of Spamalot at some point? I seem to remember reading about it, but I can't find much about it now.

Rumpelstiltskin
#40Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/20/12 at 5:01pm

Those drawings are intriguing, but I wonder why it focused on images of the destruction of WWII. I can only assume they were attempting to add a "dark" or "edgy" layer just for the sake of doing something different.

Or perhaps for the sake of doing something interesting? Cats without a different angle could be a dreary night at the movie house. (I can't make it through the filmed theatrical version without copious amounts of alcohol, although the orchestra is amazing.) Then again, the dark/edgy layer you described could lose one potential market (kids) while not necessarily appealing to the older demographic. I can't fault the decision to drop the project, but I would have liked to see the finished product.

husk_charmer
#41Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/20/12 at 5:55pm

Reba's AGYG actually was supposed to be filmed for television like Peter Pan or Into the Woods. Reba wanted it to have a bigger budget and be a film (likely to get a soundtrack) and they wouldn't do it, so she said no to filming it for TV.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#42Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/20/12 at 6:51pm

I can't help thinking that Cats imagery is *somehow* inspired by Eliot's more mature work--certainly it resembles more the London I would picture from The Waste Lands than anything in Old Possum's, but I can't really place how it would fit.

Amblination did some pretty weird (and IMHO not so successful) films once Spielberg broke up with Don Bluth after Land Before Time (Bluth himself did some weird films after too--from All Dogs Go To Heaven to Rock a Doodle but that's another subject)--films like We're Back awkwardly squeeze some weird dark imagery into what's very much a kid's movie--I wonder who would have directed this. (although I admit I do have a soft spot for Balto). Apparently Cats, which was in development for ages, fell apart when Spielberg closed Amblimation and folded it into Dreamworks Animation, but I have no idea why they didn't bring the project with them. I admit that the idea of an animated Cats does kinda intrigue me--it could be awful, but it could be an excuse for some wonderfully weird psychedelic animation. I remember reading somewhere they were trying to give it more of a story, though...

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#43Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 2/22/12 at 2:07pm

As every first year law student can tell you from contracts class, "Bloomer Girl."

Score one for Shirley!
SHIRLEY MacLAINE PARKER V. TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX

Jay94
#44Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 5:55am

This thread is frustrating. I would love to have seen some of these films!

City of Angels would have been awesome.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#45Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 6:01am

PROMISES, PROMISES with Streisand?! I read somewhere that it was actually going to star Neil Diamond and Lucie Arnaz. But as far as these things go who knows anymore.

I would like to add one to this list: IN THE HEIGHTS

Updated On: 5/17/12 at 06:01 AM

Jay94
#46Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 6:22am

and Memphis with Oliver Stone directing. The Book of Mormon has also been rumoured for 2014.

AEA AGMA SM
#47Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 8:43am

"And I guess I was not really aware that the EVITA movie had been planned much before it happened"

Evita, much like Chicago, had a number of different stars attached to it at one point or another, Streep, Streisand, and Pfeiffer, to name a few.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#48Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 8:44am

My favorite collaboration that was announced in the trades for "Evita" was Liza Minnelli with Ken Russell directing.

Whoa.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#49Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 9:48am

I remember reading somewhere that Liza went as far as to actually record a few tracks from Evita and when she heard them she ordered them destroyed- now this is probably the stuff of legend and rumor of course, but there is a part of me that could actually see it happening.

I think anytime a movie musical comes out and is somewhat successful, and the same with a big hit on Broadway, there is a flood of people in Hollywood that instantly want to bring a whole bunch of shows to the big screen- then they get into early development on these projects and realize what hard work it is getting something that worked on the stage to work on screen. I'm sure if Rock of Ages and Les Miz do well in theaters this year we are going to get a brand new list of musicals announced for the big screen, and then in a couple of years from now someone will start a thread here saying "whatever happened to the planned movie version of..."

Videos