pixeltracker

Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here - Page 8

Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#175Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:22am

I would guess that Audra is the front runner for Leading Actress?

James Earl Jones over Laroquette surprises me.

I know it is one of THE big debates on here this year, but I still think Elena got robbed- I thought she was brilliant and I really think she deserved the nod.

How does Ricky Martin get most of the love from the critics for his performance and not even get a nomination?

I don't think Bernadette got robbed- Jan Maxwell was far superior in the show, Bernadette was good- not great and in a crowded year for actresses I don't think she needed the nomination.

I think Once is going to walk away with Best Musical.

I agree with many of the other comments that getting design awards for video screens is a bit of BS- but that is the world of theater we seem to live in today- sad.

I'm thinking that this is a morning of so-so nominations to close out a so-so year of theater in all honesty.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#176Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:23am

Has a show ever been open at the time it was nominated for Best Musical and closed before the actual awards ceremony?

No. At least not in the past few decades.

I'd be surprised if LOF closes before the ceremony, but it would also be understandable.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 5/1/12 at 10:23 AM

willep
#177Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:27am

I, for one, am thrilled that Elizabeth A. Davis came out of nowhere and scored a nomination.

There are definitely some headscratchers in the list, though.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#178Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:34am

Curtain Critic is wrong. Theatre owners are not a block on the nominating commitee.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#179Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:42am

I don't understand how someone gets nominated in the featured actor/actress in a musical category, and they basically have one song to sing that brings the house down.

Jayne Houdeyshell was great, but does she really have much to do other than sing Broadway Baby and have some business in the background while others are moving the story forward, and/or performing their numbers?

I never saw Betty as Grizabella, but does she do much more other than just sing Memory and go up the Heavyside Layer?

I just don't get it. Can someone enlighten me? Please be gentle.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#180Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:44am

Wish Bernadette had been nominated for Follies. She was wonderful as Sally.

beautywickedlover
#181Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:45am

I'm very happy for Laura Osnes, but I felt that she deserved a nomination for 'Anything Goes' last year instead of her role in 'Bonnie and Clyde'. The nomination should have gone to Bernadette Peters. Patrick Page was ROBBED of a nomination. Was anyone expecting Angela Lansbury to get a nomination? I was expecting her to goet one.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#182Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:46am

So LOF got the nom so it could tour! Well that says alot for the awards!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#183Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:48am

I'm really surprised Derek McLane's work on Nice Work wasn't nominated.

Roscoe
#184Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:56am

I'm glad that Jayne Houdyshell was nominated for FOLLIES. She was shamefully robbed in the Supporting Actress In A Play category a few years back when the Frances de la Tour's merely adequate by the numbers performance of a very easy role in the obscenely over-rated HISTORY BOYS beat out Houdyshell's magnificent performance in WELL.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#185Celebrate the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:57am

Not much to 'rant' about.

I'm super thrilled for all of the ONCE and PETER AND THE STARCATCHER nominations!

The Best Actress in a Musical category is incredible!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#186Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:58am

Bernadette Peters wasn't robbed. She's getting a damn Tony regardless. That is probably the main reason she was not nominated.

I'm pleased with the nominations, overall.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#187Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 10:59am

My special favorite nomination this year is for Steve Kazee.

What an emotional roller-coaster ride for him...

Brian07663NJ
#188Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:00am

Roscoe

Wasn't there rumor that Avenue Q made it known that they could offer a lot of publicity for the Tony Awards if they won best musical and toured the show over Wicked? Then Avenue Q decided to sit down in Las Vegas instead of touring. So not the first time the Tony's would have 'sold out' to a show that could offer publicity and make money on touring productions that had more potential. (Leap of Faith over Spiderman or Ghost)

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#189Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:02am

Wasn't there rumor that Avenue Q made it known that they could offer a lot of publicity for the Tony Awards if they won best musical and toured the show over Wicked? Then Avenue Q decided to sit down in Las Vegas instead of touring.

That's not a rumor.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

bearhorn Profile Photo
bearhorn
#190Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:02am

I thought most of the nominations were "spot-on", but wondered:

1) How does "Leap of Faith" get a nod for Best Musical and nothing else? Not even Raul Esparza? I figured the 4th slot would go to "Ghost" (which was better) or even "Bonnie & Clyde" (which has a pretty good score). At least it was not "Spiderman".

2) Shocked that "One Man, Two Guvnors" received so many nominations, but not Best Play.

3) Glad that Elena Roger was denied a nomination (her voice was ineffective), but was surprised that Ricky Martin was overlooked.

4) I love Bernadette Peters, but not shocked that she was overlooked. At least she's getting a special award this year.

Rooting for "Once", "Follies", "Other Desert Cities", and "Death of a Salesman".

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#191Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:04am

The nominations for Leap of Faith, Bonnie & Clyde and Laura Osnes are pure garbage.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#192Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:06am

I think what Curtain Critic is trying to say is that a block of the Tony voters are theatre owners from across the country. You can't tour Spiderman, or really Ghost. Bonnie and Clyde, and Lysistrata Jones didn't find audiences on Broadway. Neither is Leap of Faith, but Leap of Faith has this redeeming, quality that many people are saying is ripped from The Music Man. While The Music Man was a million times better, I can see it playing Toronto, Seattle, Boston, Omaha, Dallas, San Diego, Des Moines Salt Lake City, and Atlanta.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#193Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:07am

I'm so thrilled to see so many actresses from my generation nominated, because it shows that there's a pretty strong group of talent coming up. So congrats to Nina Arianda, Cristin Milioti, Laura Osnes, Condola Rashad and Jessie Mueller.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#194Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:09am

My biggest rant is that One Man, Two Guvnors, which was my favorite play of the season, was not nominated for Best Play.

I am happy for Venus in Fur, though, and hope its nomination assures Nina Arianda of her much-deserved Tony.

I am also disappointed Elena Roger was overlooked as well as Raul Esparza.

That's it really.

VERY HAPPY FOR ONCE!!!

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#195Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:11am

Leap of Faith's nom is a real head-scratcher. (Raul and the Head-Scratchers, as opposed to Peter and the StarCatchers?)

Glad Raines was nominated and especially happy for Phillip Boykan.

Glad for Bonnie & Clyde.

Shocked Derek McLane wasn't nominated for anything - he designed at least 3 sets this season.

Overall, I think most of these noms were predictable. Shame.

beautywickedlover
#196Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:14am

"The nominations for Leap of Faith, Bonnie & Clyde and Laura Osnes are pure garbage."

Osnes just recieved her first Tony nomination for the wrong role. She deserved a nomination MUCH MORE for 'Anything Goes' last year instead of Patti Lupone, who is one of the most talented women ever in musical theatre but was really nominated just because of who she was. I also felt that she deserved it last year more than Tammy Blanchard, who is also a very talented woman but her performance in 'How to Succeed in Business Without Realy Trying' was not her best.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#197Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:20am

I think that the only explanation is that the Tony voters thought that "One Man, Two Guvnors" is more of an adaptation of Goldoni's "Master of Two Servants" and not so much an original play written by Richard Bean. Bean have added many things to Goldoni's play, but it's still more of an adaptation/translation than an original play. That's why they announced a couple of days ago that it would be eligible in the Best Play category and not in the Best Revival of a Play. Obviously there were many that felt it belonged to the latter category."

I haven't seen the play yet, but I would you say it's more of an adaptation than NICE WORK or CRAZY FOR YOU, such that it should be considered a revival? Frankly, adaptations are quite different than either revivals or new works.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#198Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:21am

LOF opened to tour with The Raul. Church people scare me. Avenue Q lied. Bernie was robbed, Paige wants people to cry for her. Ricky fails to get the gay vote! Fudge what a morning!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#199Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:25am

I think the nominating committee got it right. Across the board.

Videos