MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#1Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/2/12 at 9:49pm

Buenos Aires:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKhVOmbQgDw
Rainbow High:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7XFmgypyLE

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#2Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/2/12 at 10:06pm

Thanks so much for finding these! Her Rainbow High is thrilling, and makes what's occurring nightly at the Marquis even more offensive.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#2Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/2/12 at 10:16pm

Thank You! These cleansed my pallet of the" Warblefest" I heard last night! Evita has to to be driven to work. The softer Evita does not work.

I missed the directional point that Eva was "Acting" during "Don't cry for Me Argentina" in the present revival, the original made Eva more manipulative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHUIkw5fO08&feature=fvwrel

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Updated On: 5/2/12 at 10:16 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#3Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/2/12 at 10:25pm

I don't like the tempos for her last night; I think opening night is much better.

But I agree that Evita has to be driven to work.

Here's Buenos Aires from opening night:
http://youtu.be/jUzeMaYEA4s

and Rainbow High:
http://youtu.be/UIk4wZX9__U

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 5/2/12 at 10:25 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#4Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/2/12 at 10:57pm

No one will sing this score the way she does.

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#5Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/2/12 at 11:13pm

That is definitely not the actual tempo from her last night! haha.. The audio has obviously suffered generation loss over the years and was thereby sped up. You can hear it mostly in the chorus parts. The conductor most certainly did not speed it up in that manner.

Also, I don't know why everyone is sh!tting on Elena Roger. I saw the show tonight and thought she was a wonderful Eva Perón, especially in the second act. I'll write a review in the other thread tomorrow.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#6Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/2/12 at 11:45pm

LuPone sounds like a hot mess in these clips. As in coke and crack messy.

Whoever audio/sound engineered the American Premiere Recording were clearly at the top of their game.

FindingNamo
#7Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 12:00am

People do coke OR crack.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#8Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 12:02am

Crack is whack. Patti would never touch that shiz. She was only drunk and on pills. Back the eff off!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#9Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 12:21am

Oh Man, she is coming for you now Bettyboy! Who The F*CK do you THINK you ARE?!?

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Matt2 Profile Photo
Matt2
#10Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 12:26am

Crack IS whack! And cheap. La LuPone makes far too much money to smoke the cheap stuff. She can afford BETTER drugs!

sparrman
#11Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 12:49am

HBP, you're incorrect about the tracks from Patti's final performance being sped up. The keys are exactly the same as the cast album.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 12:58am

Huh? A tempo being sped up has nothing to do with a key change.

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#13Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 2:54am

If the track had been sped up the key would be different. Kinda like the Chipmunks, but to a lesser degree.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

Leadingplayer
#14Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 3:31am

Who is the Che?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#15Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 6:13am

James Stein is Che. And although he obviously not on either of those tracks, David Cryer (Jon Cryer's father) was Peron.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#16Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 6:17am

And for those of you who are having trouble deciphering just what the fvck she is singing in BUENOS AIRES, the code has been broken thanks to subtitles!
REAL LIKE A DOWN AND SILENCE!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#17Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 8:48am

Having seen Patti LuPone in EVITA three times back in 1980, I preferred her on the American Premiere Recording over how she performed it 'live' at the Broadway Theatre.

Yes, she performed the show 'live' completely different from how she recorded it.

On the recording, even though her LuPone snarls are eminent, in performance, she basically SCREAMED and SNARLED that score completely. She made her Eva one angry and vindictive bitch on stage. Fun to watch since she was so over-the-top, but not the Eva she recorded and which is what post-generations are exposed to and assume this is how she was 'live'. She was not.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#18Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 9:34am

Been discussed in other threads but yes, the tempos throughout the run of EVITA got progressively faster and Webber was constantly trying to get the musical director to slow them down. And yes, LuPone's backstage behavior late in the run was also considered 'erratic' and a few people I know who were in the show said pretty much everyone in the cast at that point was doing a lot of drugs. There were a couple of years on Broadway 1980-81 that drugs were a major backstage problem.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#19Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 9:44am

Let's hear it for the Cocaine High!

sparrman
#20Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 9:45am

What roseaddams said. If the tape was playing back too fast, that would mean faster tempos AND higher keys. But if the keys are correct, so are the tempos.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#21Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 9:55am

Sounds to me like a tempo battle between the conductor and the leading lady. The tempos between the two are different.

But she was probably singing that fast because she couldn't wait to get the f*ck outta there!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#22Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 9:58am

It's EVITA on speed...literally. Those tempos are obnoxious. Did they get through the entire show in an hour?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#23Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 10:00am

LuPone also famously had knock-down screaming fights backstage with the MD during ANYTHING GOES about tempos.

Rainbowhigh23
#24Patti's Final Broadway Performance as Evita
Posted: 5/3/12 at 10:00am

"And for those of you who are having trouble deciphering just what the fvck she is singing in BUENOS AIRES, the code has been broken thanks to subtitles!
REAL LIKE A DOWN AND SILENCE!"

QUE???? It's actually more snuggly than that. The lovely Elena Rogers actually sings something different and so did Patti, as I will always remember from the beautiful booklet of the libretto that came with the two record set that is the Premier American Recording:

She is singing, REAL EIDERDOWN/AND SILENCE As in,

And......... if ever I go too far
It's because of the things you are
Beautiful town, I love you
And......... if I need a moment's rest
Give your lover the very best
Real eiderdown and silence.

Videos