News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Variety on "Rock of Ages" film

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#1Variety on "Rock of Ages" film
Posted: 6/12/12 at 8:58am

Variety on

Not so hot.
Rock of Ages

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#2Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 9:32am

"Onscreen, as directed by Adam Shankman ("Hairspray"), everything seems less tongue-in-cheek and more earnestly one-dimensional."

This was my biggest fear. Not surprised, unfortunately.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 9:40am

More earnestly one dimensional? Is that not one of the biggest oxymorons to be written? (Or am I reading too much into the statement?)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#3Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 10:03am

THR isn't too hot, either. But then again, it is ROCK OF AGES. Did anyone expect it to get great reviews?

NOB88
#4Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 10:47am

The Hollywood Reporter loved it NOT.

"However, the headbanger party owes some of its notoriety to Poison frontman Bret Michaels getting accidentally brained during a production number from the show at the 2009 Tony Awards. Nobody gets clobbered in the New Line movie, but perhaps director Adam Shankman should. He succeeds in draining most of the fun from a vehicle that was all about the winking humor of its flagrant cheesiness."
Rock of Ages: Film Review

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#5Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 11:06am

The trailers really turned me off. It looks overproduced and lifeless. These reviews confirm my suspicions.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#6Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 11:09am

Variety on

I saw Prometheus in a packed theatre, and the previews for Rock of Ages and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter actually got full throated derisional laughter from the audience. I'll excuse Abraham Lincoln, because it's clear they are being over-the-top, but Rock of Ages was painful. They were laughing at Alec Baldwin's wig, Julianne Hough "singing" and when Tom Cruise's name came up like he was a huge draw.

"Earnestly one dimensional" is about the best thing that's ever been said of Adam Shankman's work. I've often wondered how he even gets work at this point, much less a film like Rock of Ages, which is such an astoundingly bad fit for him. It's like Charles Nelson Reilly directing Bad Lieutenant. Is he a Scientologist or something?

Updated On: 6/12/12 at 11:09 AM

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#7Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 11:18am

1. Modern jukebox movie musicals--MOULIN ROUGE, which was its own thing excepted--don't work.

2. Adam Shankman is one of the worst directors in Hollywood (check out his CV besides HAIRSPRAY, which had the John Waters classic as its template). Where is Penelope Spheeris when you need her?

3. This show celebrates one of the true nadirs of popular music.

4. Even though it was crap, this era of music meant a lot to many people and with film being a more literal medium than theater I suppose it deserves an accurate portrayal. I can tell from the trailers that they got the era all wrong. Hell, the show got the era wrong. No LA wannabe rocker or groupie of this time would be caught dead singing "We Built This City" or "I Can't Fight This Feeling". Oh, and tattoos were not this rife in the eighties.

5. The script is by Justin Theroux, who has claimed he was a skate-punk growing up in this time. Mr. Theroux, whatever punk cred you may have accrued through life, its gone baby GONE.

6. Oh, just release THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION PART II on DVD already. It nailed this painful time of American rock with pathos, humor, insight and satire.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#8Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 11:29am

It looks like music videos pieced together which is deadly to a jukebox musical.

Also, its not fun to hear this songs overproduced and autotuned. These are songs that need to be wailed live.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Wildcard
#9Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 12:14pm

In the era of Glee and Smash where we hear popular music sung in the same format, the novelty of something like Rock of Ages has worn off. At least on stage, you get the live performance… like watching a cover band and a story thrown to boot.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#10Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 1:00pm

The reviews have been abysmal. And honestly, yeah, I did expect better reviews than this. Critics gave good reviews to freaking PIRANHA 3D. If ROCK OF AGES was entertaining and stupid fun, I'm sure it would have gotten better reviews. But most reviews so far say it's just a boring mess. That's the last thing you'd want a movie musical featuring 80's hits to be...

I don't think anyone expected this to be the new GONE WITH THE WIND, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have gotten respectable reviews. Updated On: 6/12/12 at 01:00 PM

WEDHEAD Profile Photo
WEDHEAD
#11Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 1:21pm

I always thought Penelope Spheeris would have been perfect for this movie. Rock of Ages was always kind of the underdog rock n roll musical and I expected the movie to be grungier, seedier, and a lot of fun.

pdjennings Profile Photo
pdjennings
#12Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 3:36pm

Saw a press screening last night, and I absolutely loved it. Never saw the stage show, so I can't really compare. Tom Cruise was quite amazing, IMHO. I guess I'll wind up (proudly) in the minority.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#13Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 4:04pm

I don't pay much attention to reviews. Looking forward to seeing the film! I liked the trailers. Especially impressed by Cruise!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#14Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 4:49pm

Some of the "better" reviews:

"A retro rom-con whose aim is true, this Broadway musical adaptation does please a crowd, especially if that crowd loves 'em some 1980's rock and roll."
http://themovieminute.com/movies.html

"[T]his is just a madly silly, deeply goofy movie that's meant to pander to GenX 80s nostalgia. It's not trying to be radical or revolutionary... I'm not even sure director Adam Shankman realizes how extraordinary his film is on [a certain] level..."
http://www.flickfilosopher.com/blog/2012/06/rock_of_ages_review.html#axzz1xc8de2Kc

As a story, Rock of Ages is all over the place, but the performers are clearly having a blast, and their enjoyment is infectious.
http://whatculture.com/film/rock-of-ages-review-light-fluffy-rock-music-homage.php

metsfan
#15Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 5:47pm

Borstalboy, you nailed it. Agree on all 6 counts, ESPECIALLY #6.

JP2, wow, you really had to do some digging to find those, didn't ya?

And that picture of Shankman? What a douche.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#16Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 6:00pm

It took all of three seconds on Rotten Tomatoes, but ok.

NOB88
#17Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 6:00pm

This one feels more honest for me cuz I am def a pissed fan of the stage show.
ComingSoon.net

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#18Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 6:41pm

I loathed the stage show, so I can't see how adding Tom Cruise and Russell Brand into the mix can really help matters.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#19Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 7:32pm

We saw this film last week. 420 helps. It was crap but I had a good time.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#20Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 11:20pm

Just got back from a screening tonight. Chances are if you liked the show you'll like the film.

I had a blast. It's Rock of Ages, not Citizen Kane.

FindingNamo
#21Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 11:27pm

I wanna make out with Shankman in that pic.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

metsfan
#22Variety on
Posted: 6/12/12 at 11:54pm

Shocking that you liked it JP2. Good to get an unbiased opinion.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#23Variety on
Posted: 6/13/12 at 12:13am

I'm sorry someone repeatedly pissed in your corn fakes.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#24Variety on
Posted: 6/13/12 at 12:16am

hated the stage, have no desire to see the movie.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Videos