pixeltracker

MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5

MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 6:46pm

I would not be surprised if we see an announcement about Matilda in the coming weeks.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#2MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 6:50pm

Sad but not a surprise.

I'm assuming this means it will close without having recouped.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
Updated On: 6/26/12 at 06:50 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 6:58pm

Berry Gordy's show could land the Shubert, too... it's at a Nederlander theatre, Playbill.com says.

This show had a good, long, healthy run and lasted way longer than anyone probably thought it was going to. Very proud that it was preserved on video and disc and I cannot wait to see the tour. Congrats to everyone involved. HOCKADOO!

Updated On: 6/26/12 at 06:58 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:00pm

Wow, shows are dropping like flies this summer!!!!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:03pm

Berry Gordy's show could land the Shubert, too... it's at a Nederlander theatre, Playbill.com says.

The Shubert Theatre is under the Shubert Organization though isn't it?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

broadwaydevil
#6MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:06pm

^Yes, lol. No idea what Jacob is talking about.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#7MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:07pm

Whoa, did not see this coming.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:12pm

Wow, this is shocking. There weren't even any grumblings about it. Looks like I'll go see the tour one more time in DC before they leave town.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Jonwo
#9MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:25pm

Not a surprise but I assume it would until October, I guess that Matilda or another show will take the Shubert. Wonder if it'll remain dark until the Spring or will there be a filler show, possibly Elf or another Christmas show.

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#10MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:31pm

Very sad. I hope Montego gets a new gig quickly. She's an insane talent.

iluvtheatertrash
#11MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:36pm

See ya! BYE!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

tphiliboy152
#12MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:40pm

I'm actually upset this show is closing. It's actually a really beautiful show. It's better than some of the stuff that's still on Broadway right now.

broadwaydevil
#13MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:42pm

It's better than some of the stuff that's still on Broadway right now.

I would agree, but that doesn't say much.

kikki327 Profile Photo
kikki327
#14MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:48pm

Memphis actually recouped over a year ago, just never announced it.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#15MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:49pm

Really? Source?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TheHappyPhantom
#16MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 7:55pm

^How does playbill work for you?

I say, oh well. It was pretty bad anyway. Hopefully we can get something a bit more original in its place.

beautywickedlover
#17MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 8:00pm

I saw the tour a couple of months ago and I really enjoyed the show. This is a great musical and it is sad to see it close on Broadway.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#18MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 8:00pm

If you could link me to the playbill article that suggests MEMPHIS recouped over a year ago, TheHappyPhantom, I'd appreciate it. kthx.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

WickedRENTAwakening Profile Photo
WickedRENTAwakening
#19MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 8:21pm

This sucks a big one. I will probably fly from Los Angeles for the final performance. I was hoping it would have closed in October since I was planing to be in the city around that time anyway :/

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#20MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 8:36pm

Glad Broadway will be making room for a deserving show.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#21MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 10:45pm

Dottie everyone knew Memphis was in it final stretch, we were just debating an October vs Dec/Jan closing...I wonder whats going in there come Fall, (a limited run of what) since it now seems destined to be the home for Matilda come spring.

On a different note is Memphis now officially going to be the longest running show to close at a loss beating Ragtime and Jeckyl and Hyde? (RoA hasnt closed yet so there is still hope for recoupment)

@kikki The NYTIMES reports Memphis is closing at a loss.
Nytimes closure notice stating lack of recoupment

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#22MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 10:57pm

Hurray!

I mean: such a sad reality. I feel bad for those who were getting a steady income from this show...but it gotta go. This is simply too great a theater to be occupied by a mediocre show.

Though, congrats to a good run!

After Eight
#23MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 11:01pm

"Glad Broadway will be making room for a deserving show."

It was far more deserving and a million times better than such woeful fare as Book of Mormon and Once.

gravity87
#24MEMPHIS to Close on Broadway August 5
Posted: 6/26/12 at 11:05pm

So sorry that many talented and hardworking people both on and off stage will soon be unemployed, but this show was an absolute DOG. How did it run this long? Buh-bye.

Videos