R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#25R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:13am

With Mark O'Donnell and Marvin Hamlisch ... will there be a third?

*shudders*

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#26R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:14am

Oh No! This is a huge loss to the community. I didn't even know he was sick. Very sad day indeed...

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#27R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:14am

I'm shocked. I just saw him with Idina Menzel last month at Ravinia. This last weekend, I was hanging my Chorus Line window card autographed by him. A great composer and song writer and a class act all the way.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#28R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:17am

So sad. What a talent.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#29R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:26am

OMG...i woke up to this news...this is very sad...

may he R.I.P.

HIS MUSIC WILL LIVE ON...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#30R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:30am

Wow. Just, wow. A short illness.

Wow. RIP.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

NewYorkTheater Profile Photo
NewYorkTheater
#31R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:31am

Bottom of his obit includes a video medley of his songs, and an introduction by Barbra Streisand.
And some of his quotes. In connection to his latest project, "The Nutty Professor," which is aiming for Broadway:
“Music is truly an international language and it has the ability to bring people together like nothing else…… except comedy.”
Marvin Hamlisch, 1944-2012

Huey's Pop Profile Photo
Huey's Pop
#32R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:34am

So very sad. I got to see him in the early 70s when he had a Las Vegas act. The world has indeed lost a major talent.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#33R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:37am

However sad, how nice that he more or less worked until the end of his life. What he leaves behind is a legacy of wonderful music. I saw him once conduct the NSO in Washington, DC.

Best12, I think he might have been the 3rd as I'm taking into account of Martin Pakledinaz as the 1st.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 8/7/12 at 10:37 AM

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#34R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:39am

Wow! Way too young. I am glad I got to see him with the Columbus Symphony and Linda Eder a couple years ago. He seemed like such a nice guy and a wonderful performer.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#35R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:42am

Like so many here, "A Chorus Line" changed me from a devoted teenaged fan into someone who (at least for a spell) pursued theatre as a full-time profession.

I also remember the huge resurgence for Scott Joplin and ragtime music, due to Hamlisch's Oscar-winning adapted score for "The Sting." Suddenly, "The Entertainer" by Joplin was on the Billboard Pop Chart in 1973.

Thank you for the music.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#36R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:44am

A Chorus Line was the first show I ever saw on Broadway and pushed me into falling in love with musicals.

Very sad news.

RIP Mr. Hamlisch

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

wexy
#37R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:46am

RIP, I thought of Gilda Radner as well.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#38R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:48am

The third was Joan Stein. Her passing was the first of the three, this month.

And Marty P.

Such a huge loss all the way around.

I'm numb at this point.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#39R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:53am

In the broader sense of "theatre," I suppose we're at #4 now. Wow.

I was thinking of theatre writers, though (authors, composers, lyricists, Tony-winning at that).

Updated On: 8/7/12 at 10:53 AM

JohnyBroadway
#40R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:56am

"The Gift was Ours to borrow"

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#41R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:57am

I gasped seeing this news on the front page of the website. No idea he was ill.

RIP

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#42R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 11:00am

RIP. One of the best.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#43R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 11:04am

Wow. They're all dead now. (Meaning all the CHORUS LINE creators.) This is very sad to hear. Best12, I would say that the producer Joan Stein was the first, then O'Donnell and then Hamlisch.

Rainbowhigh23
#44R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 11:12am

His music was definitely everywhere and everything in the 1970s. So sad, may he RIP. I am so going to watch the Lisa Loopner performance of "The Way We Were" now.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#45R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 11:14am

A Chorus Line is of course a masterpiece but I would also rate his scores for Sweet Smell of Success, The Goodbye Girl and They're Playing Our Song VERY high. The latter show will have a special poignancy now.

Why do I think he never quite got the wholehearted respect he deserved? Perhaps because he was such a public figure and we don't expect our artists to be that, I don't know.

RIP

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Updated On: 8/7/12 at 11:14 AM

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#46R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 11:17am

He accomplished so much, including being an integral part of an iconic musical that to this day, I count as one of the single most incredible surprises I've ever seen on stage. There's the big accomplishments like winning Oscars and Tonys, and then there's the ones that help touch and change lives like mine. Thank you Marvin for lending your gift to one of my top 5 musicals of all time, A Chorus Line, and for your priceless contribution to theatre and the arts. <3

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#47R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 11:24am

Rest in peace R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#48R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 11:40am

Best12, I would say that the producer Joan Stein was the first, then O'Donnell and then Hamlisch.

If you decide not to count two-time Tony-winning costume designer Martin Pakledinaz, who died at 58 on July 8th.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#49R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 11:44am

Him too. Wow. Too many sad losses this summer.