pixeltracker

Shows that reference other shows?

Shows that reference other shows?

Quiche2 Profile Photo
Quiche2
#1Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 5:08pm

Anyone know any show references in other shows? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Elder Cunningham references THE LION KING in "Two by Two" ("Uganda! Cool! Where is that?" "Africa." "Oh boy! Like Lion King!") and in "I am Africa". Also, in the previews of SHREK, (and possibly the regular production, I can't remember) Lord Farquaad goes "And no one's gonna bring me down! Aaaaaaaah!" which is an obvious WICKED reference.

Theatre is my life. No one can take that away from me.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#2Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 5:10pm

Forbidden Broadway

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 5:10pm

Thread over.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 5:38pm

Are you talking about subtle references (aka "nods") or literal referencing.

Hairspray gave a nod to Rose's Turn at the end of the big prison number. So did "Betrayed" in The Producers.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Quiche2 Profile Photo
Quiche2
#4Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 5:39pm

i was thinking "nods".

Theatre is my life. No one can take that away from me.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#5Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 5:40pm

Spamalot "nods" at a few shows...Fiddler, etc.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 5:42pm

Shrek:

[Mama Bear]
Mama’s in the mud.
Mama’s in distress.

Reference to Rose's Turn in "Story of my Life".

There are a couple of others. I have to say, I really enjoy the SHREK score, besides a few obvious holes (e.g. "Donkey Pot Pie")

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#7Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 5:44pm

The Book of Mormon is full of them. I'm sure there's a thread around here that points them all out.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jon
#8Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 5:44pm

In ON THE TOWN, they sing about TOBACCO ROAD and ANGEL STREET.

ANGEL STREET is also discussed in DEATHTRAP.

In PIRATES OF PENZANCE, the Major General's song mentions THE FROGS by Aristophanes, and HMS PINAFORE.

Updated On: 8/29/12 at 05:44 PM

NotAnotherSN Profile Photo
NotAnotherSN
#9Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 6:23pm

I believe someone mentioned Spamalot. Here's most of what I can remember:
-When the narrator introduces the knights of the round table, he mentions "Sir Not-Appearing-in-this-Show," and someone dressed as Don Quixote (Man of La Mancha) comes out.
-"You Won't Succeed on Broadway" has a ton of references. The song starts with Sir Robin reciting the words to "People" from Funny Girl. A few lines later he sings "They won't care if it's witty or everything looks pretty," a reference to "Keep It Gay" from The Producers. There is a "grail" dance, that is a Fiddler on the Roof-esque bottle dance using grails.

After Eight
#10Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 7:37pm

The wonderful song "Show Train" from Two on the Aisle describes people taking the train in to see shows in NY. The song references Guys and Dolls, Call Me Madam, Carol Channing ("She's the blonde that we prefer"), and The Moon Is Blue ("It was over too fast.")

I can understand that last lyric all too well.

3bluenight
#11Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 7:49pm

during the banter section of Bosom Buddies, Mame, Mame jabs with,
'You try to be Peg O' My Heart, when you're Lady MacBeth' (or something to that effect).

In Merrily, sondheim nods to Funny Girl, FIddler and Dolly (combined!)

there are also references to roles that Desiree has played in Night Music.

Namaste

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#12Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 9:05pm

Marc Shaiman's "Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me" is made up mostly of these, given that it is not only conceived as Short's love letter to Broadway, but is also a theatrical adaptation of "I, Martin Short, Goes Hollywood."

The show contains outright reference to, or parody of, dozens and dozens of shows, including: The Vagina Monologues, Alice In Wonderland (specifically the version in which Short played the Mad Hatter), The Sound of Music, Chicago, Judy At Carnegie, The Wizard of Oz, the Rat Pack, The Goodbye Girl, A Chorus Line, Annie, Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell, Hair, Merrily We Roll Along, Company, Elaine Stritch: At Liberty (probably the only show to ever reference that production), Gypsy, Hairspray, Wicked, Anything Goes, the Noel Coward songbook, every big-black-lady number of all time, and then end with a traditional Shaiman-style piano torch song.

These are only the shows referenced or parodied in song, that can be heard on the cast recording. The actual show itself doubled, if not tripled, that list.

LeafConeyBear Profile Photo
LeafConeyBear
#13Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 9:19pm

Hairspray also has 'I'm a pretty girl mama' referring to Louise when she sees herself in the mirror before her first strip!

nasty_khakis
#14Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 9:23pm

In "Hairspray" there's Penny saying "I'm a Pretty Girl Mama!" and Edna's "For Me!" both are a "Gypsy" reference. I think there's one more but I can't think of it at the moment.

"Avenue Q" has a reference in almost every song-
"Purpose" references "Something's Coming" from "West Side Story"
"Special" has the same "For Me!" from "Rose's Turn"
"Ruv Someone" is a pastiche of old Judy Garland torch songs
"I Wish I Could Go Back to College" when he sings "I wish I could go back to college, how do I go back to college?" is the same melody as "Is anyone in the main stream?" from "La Vie Bohem" in "Rent"

Next to Normal has the "These are a few of my favorite pills" line.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#15Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 9:24pm

Forbidden Broadway Alive and Kicking

japhun2 Profile Photo
japhun2
#16Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 10:25pm

The latest Godspell revival did--Turn Back O Man. Had a Wicked reference in there.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#17Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 10:31pm

The Tonys

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#18Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 10:33pm

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Leadingplayer
#19Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 10:36pm

Six Degrees of Separation has that whole thing about "Cats."

The Christopher Durang play about Terrorism from a few years ago had lots of stuff.

The best was the line about how a woman committed suicide at "The Coast of Utopia" by willing her heart to stop beating.

Updated On: 8/30/12 at 10:36 PM

xoffender45
#20Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 10:37pm

I never saw Urinetown on Broadway, but the local production I did see was full of nods to other shows. The only one I can remember though was an Evita reference at some point.

Another Book of Mormon nod is during "I Believe," where Elder Price goes "What's so scary about that?" in a nod to Sound of Music

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#21Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 10:52pm

In one version of the British script of SHOW BOAT (presumably from the 1930's), Captain Andy, in his speech after the disruption of "The Parson's Bride", assures his audience of the high level of virtuousness in his presentations, mentioning the lack of any "Sweeney Todds" (the British penny-dreadful version, of course).

Sounds crazy, no?

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....
Updated On: 8/29/12 at 10:52 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#22Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 11:26pm

[title of show] is riddled with references.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#23Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 11:37pm

The title song to Applause has all of those little quotes (or parodies) of other Broadway musicals.

Tony performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw2uR28agJg

(THe Tony Awards sure got long clips that year--Coco as well, it's too bad they didn't the following year with Company)

broadway guy
#24Shows that reference other shows?
Posted: 8/29/12 at 11:40pm

In WICKED during "THANK GOODNESS" Glinda's line is "fellow ozians" She usually does the "evita arms"