pixeltracker

Heather Headley performs "I Will Always Love You"

Heather Headley performs "I Will Always Love You"

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
GardenOfEden
#2Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/5/12 at 12:49pm

Its just wrong. She's so talented. But, this just isn't right. She's not a pop princess. A nubian princess yes, but not a pop princess. And she's so vocally inconsistent, I love her voice and saw her in Aida many times, but she's so inconsistent and just hearing these big songs from her when the most flawless recordings are ingrained in our minds and hearts makes me nervous for what it's going to sound like live. I'm not a hater at all just think this is the wrong casting choice on so many levels.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/5/12 at 12:54pm

I'm not really feeling it.

theaterfan862 Profile Photo
theaterfan862
#3Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/5/12 at 12:56pm

I don't know how I feel about this yet. I do agree about being weary if her version will win over audiences since Whitney's version is very iconic. I love Heather Headley and the movie so I hope it does well and comes to Broadway.

HHteamofficial Profile Photo
HHteamofficial
#4Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/5/12 at 2:00pm

The Bodyguard Rehearsals start this Monday, so we thought a good way to kick it off would be to release Heather Headley's version of "Run To You" off of her new album "Only One In The World." Please follow us @ hhteamofficial and Heather @ HeatherHeadley on twitter for more details. Thanks for the support guys!!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#5Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/5/12 at 2:06pm

The role of Rachel Marron is a superstar. You need someone who can bring that. And Heather Headley has that in spades. Even when playing a lioness in THE LION KING, she attacked the role with such a ferocity, it was remarkable. She's an absolutely terrific actress. She is as close as the theatre world could get to Rachel Marron. J. Hud would be vocally perfect, but can she act it 8 shows a week? No other pop diva comes close. This casting makes all the sense in the world, and it stuns me that people are questioning it so strongly.

Updated On: 9/5/12 at 02:06 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#6Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/5/12 at 2:17pm

I hope they make the stalker storyline a little bit more interesting and suspenseful than in the movie.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

HHteamofficial Profile Photo
HHteamofficial
#7Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/5/12 at 2:27pm

Haven't read the script yet, but they were working on it for 6 years before it finally started workshops last year. We hear that there are some very nice changes. We are also planning to get Heather on some live hangouts soon with you guys so you can ask any questions you may have. She is traveling to London today so we are sending good traveling vibes her way :)

Visceral_Fella
#8Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/5/12 at 11:46pm

Leona Lewis would be perfect for this. I feel like her voice would hold up 8 shows a week too. Not sure of how capable of an actress she is though.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#9Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/5/12 at 11:48pm

Blah.

Dave516
#10Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 12:02am

SASHA ALLEN, Please!!!!!

wicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
#11Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 1:06am

Heather Headley performs

"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#12Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 1:11am

As others have said, Headley is an absolute phenom on stage, and that's what is required to play a character said to be a global superstar like Rachel Marron. This footage is all promotional stuff from a demo recording session, so it's ridiculous to judge how she'll be in the role based on these clips. Since the show hasn't even started rehearsal yet, these are far from the final keys or arrangements for what will end up on stage.

If you want to bitch about the keys being lowered, Whitney Houston herself couldn't sing her musical catalogue in its original keys on a consistent basis and never could (as much as I love and revere her,) so please don't act like anyone else should be able to. People like Sasha Allen and Leona Lewis have phenomenal voices, but they are far from what I'd ever call actors, and they'd be the first to admit that. Headley is the rare embodiment of a studied, magnetizing actor who happens to have an absolutely incredible instrument. She radiates star power, and I think this show is only going to reiterate that.

In fact, I'd much rather the keys be lowered and her make the songs her own than her sound like she's straining and blow her voice out attempting to do a Whitney Houston imitation. I think it's actually a huge asset to the show that Headley has such a distinctly different sound than Whitney did while still possessing a ton of power. They're so different that you can't really compare the two, so it frees you as an audience to be more open to the stage incarnation being something totally and completely separate from the iconic status of the film version.

For what it's worth, here Headley is actually singing live and knocking "I Have Nothing" out of the park at the press launch earlier this summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh7D32mWWO0

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 9/6/12 at 01:11 AM

Scottsacto Profile Photo
Scottsacto
#13Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 2:11am

Thanks for That "Something Wicked"---I am so looking forward to seeing this.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#14Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 2:58am

"As others have said, Headley is an absolute phenom on stage, and that's what is required to play a character said to be a global superstar like Rachel Marron. This footage is all promotional stuff from a demo recording session, so it's ridiculous to judge how she'll be in the role based on these clips. Since the show hasn't even started rehearsal yet, these are far from the final keys or arrangements for what will end up on stage."

I agree that she has star quality, but her voice is low and nasally. Changing the arrangements won't help that. Whitney is the one who made the songs famous with her soaring mezzo, so people are going to compare. That's just the way it is.

"If you want to bitch about the keys being lowered, Whitney Houston herself couldn't sing her musical catalogue in its original keys on a consistent basis and never could (as much as I love and revere her,) so please don't act like anyone else should be able to."

But who cares? Whitney is on record (and many live performances in the 90s) singing the songs fabulously well. That's what people remember. Would the show even have been fast tracked like it has without the renewed interest in Whitney?

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

javero Profile Photo
javero
#15Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 4:16am

"I agree that she has star quality, but her voice is low and nasally."

Heather the actress tends to wow me. But, the nasally tone of her mid-range singing voice isn't always pleasant. And at times she can sound a bit forced.

It's like playing a wind instrument. Not all singers can shift registers effortlessly. In her prime, Whitney was one of the best at it so I dread the coming comparisons.

I wish the best for all involved though.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#16Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 7:57am

The versions are both in the same key. At least, the short preview of Heather is in A Major, just like Whitney's version. I guess it just ends up in this key for Heather rather than it ending up in B Major for Whitney.

But seriously, we don't know exactly what they're going to do with it based on a 40 second clip, do we?
Updated On: 9/6/12 at 07:57 AM

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#17Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 9:53am

Nasally? I understand the inconsistency argument, but I don't hear any type of nasal qualities. I am hopeful for this show. I think she is an excellent musical theatre actress and a great interpreter of classic pop songs.

silent
#18Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 9:54am

Heather looks and sounds like she's struggling just to get through the song. I like her as a vocalist but I think she's all wrong for the part.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#19Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 9:54am

"Would the show even have been fast tracked like it has without the renewed interest in Whitney?"

The show was already fast tracked for its current production schedule well before Whitney passed away.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#20Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 9:56am

Felicia Boswell would be phenomenal in this role. I love Heather and think she's a rare, ferociously talented actress and singer...but this is DEAD ASS WRONG for her. The songs just aren't written for a voice like hers. Felicia would sing them in the correct keys and still set them apart from Whitney's.

I am hoping when it comes to the States an unknown like Boswell will be considered.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#21Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 10:56am

"Nasally? I understand the inconsistency argument, but I don't hear any type of nasal qualities. I am hopeful for this show. I think she is an excellent musical theatre actress and a great interpreter of classic pop songs."

It's not a kewpie doll Adelaide or Megan Mullally kind of nasally. Heather basically just sounds like she's singing through her nose at times. It doesn't really bother me, but I've heard other people comment on it.

As great as this performance is otherwise, it's pretty evident here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2PAg6neH8E

SonofRobbieJ
#22Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 11:56am

I honestly don't know which world we're living in where Grammy and Tony-winner Heather Headley, who is astonishingly beautiful and brings the diva attitude (as well as truly accomplished acting skills) is wrong for the role of Rachel Marron. And if they are tailoring the score to her strengths (which they should be doing for whichever actress they cast), I think she's going to end up being definitive. She's going to be better than Whitney's performance in the movie. She's going to bring star power and it's going to be an epic performance. No...she's not going to sound like Whitney. No one does. But, as said repeatedly, this isn't a Whitney tribute show. This is a book musical about a character. I don't get the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments in regards to this particular casting.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#23Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 12:01pm

"But, as said repeatedly, this isn't a Whitney tribute show. This is a book musical about a character. I don't get the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments in regards to this particular casting."

Honestly, I think Heather can pull it off. I just don't know if certain Whitney fans will ever be pleased, though. I'm just saying that people should be prepared for that.

SonofRobbieJ
#24Heather Headley performs
Posted: 9/6/12 at 12:13pm

^ Well...those people are the loosely wrapped and walking wounded and they should be ignored with vigor and elan.