pixeltracker

An Oscar-winning A-List actress...

bobs3
#1An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 1:58am

is actively campaigning for the role of The Baker's Wife in the INTO THE WOODS film.

I had dinner with a friend tonight who works for one of the major talent agencies. She would not tell me the name of the actress (client confidentiality) but only said that she wants the role and she can sing and no it is not Sandra Bullock (she was my first guess).

She also told me there are a number of other A-List actresses who are interested in the part so nothing is certain.

Updated On: 10/10/12 at 01:58 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 2:16am

Kevin Spacey?

undercoveractor Profile Photo
undercoveractor
#2An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 2:17am

Natalie Portman? Marion Cotillard? Hilary Swank? Kate Winslet? Renee Zelwegger? Rachel Weisz? Cate Blanchett? CZJ?

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#3An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 2:18am

Oprah?

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

undercoveractor Profile Photo
undercoveractor
#4An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 2:25am

As I was thinking through the recent winners for that list above, I thought of Melissa McCarthy. Not an Oscar winner, but I bet she would be interesting....and maybe amazing.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#5An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 3:41am

Julie Andrews?

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#6An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 4:00am

Kate Winslet would be marvelous. And, honestly, I could live with Gwyneth Paltrow.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Musicaldudepeter
#7An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 6:50am

Melissa McCarthy would actually be superb. She has all the warmth, the humor, the quirkiness, the heart, and I can imagine her in Germanic style costumes (although that style probably won't be utilized in the movie).

Jon
#8An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 6:58am

Reese Witherspoon.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 7:10am

Cloris Leachman

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#10An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 7:56am

I guess it's Renee Zelwegger.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#11An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 8:59am

Mo'Nique.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#12An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 9:00am

The W list: Witherspoon, Weisz and Winslet would all be very good choices.

Updated On: 10/10/12 at 09:00 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#13An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 9:38am

Reese Witherspoon was the first person I thought of when I read this, and she'd be absolutely delightful in the role.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#14An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 9:44am

Faye Dunaway!

Jon
#15An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 9:51am

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 10:47am

Oprah?

Oprah ain'ts gots no Oscar. She wuz only nominated for THE COLOR PURPLE. Bitch lost, yo!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#17An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 10:55am

Reese Witherspoon just had a baby, if even plausible, could she really want to handle her stage debut in a big show like this so soon (assuming it's spring).

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#18An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 10:58am

... is actively campaigning for the role of The Baker's Wife in the INTO THE WOODS film.

Its for the film adaptation, genius. An Oscar-winning A-List actress...

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#19An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 11:13am

J-Hud?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 11:15am

Melissa McCarthy would be such a good Baker's Wife! I really wish they'd cast a comedienne in the role as opposed to someone who fits the Amy Adams mold like Reese Witherspoon. Witherspoon can obviously be funny, but I haven't seen her be genuinely funny--let alone actually invested in a role--since she won the Oscar. McCarthy, Kristen Wiig and Tina Fey would be much more interesting to me than pretty and conventional actresses like Witherspoon or Rachel Weisz. I think the problem with productions of INTO THE WOODS after the original is the Baker's Wife has been cast with a leading lady, where the role should be played by a character actress who can shine like the best leading lady, that's why Joanna Gleason won a Tony but Amy Adams was considered a disappointment (in his review Brantley even commented that Jessie Mueller and Adams should swap roles).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 10/10/12 at 11:15 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#21An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 11:24am

ray, I'd argue that Witherspoon is pretty quirky for a "leading lady."

Though I agree that her more recent work has been much more traditional, her performances in films like LEGALLY BLONDE, ELECTION, and SWEET HOME ALABAMA are far more character-based than would be typical of any other film star of her status. I get what you're saying about likening her to Amy Adams, but Adams is every bit the ingenue, whereas Witherspoon has never had that kind of career (with very few exceptions.)

In terms of Melissa McCarthy, even if she could sing, between her television series and the million film projects she has in development, she'd never be available for this movie any time in the next two years.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 10/10/12 at 11:24 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#22An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 11:34am

rayandallthat... You are absolutely correct, when The BW is prettier than Cindy it don't make no sense.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#23An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 11:40am

It's Olivia de Havilland, with Joan Fontaine doing Wednesday evenings and Saturday matinees.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#24An Oscar-winning A-List actress...
Posted: 10/10/12 at 11:53am

Anyone but Renee Zellweger please. I couldn't stand her in Chicago.

Speaking of Chicago, Catherine Zeta Jones does fit the description. I just don't know if she would be good or not. This is not my vote for who should get it. Just an idea of who it could be.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates