pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 14

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#325NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 12:35am

Let me just say I am glad these actors are getting some exposure outside of New York City and love the location shots around town. I find it a pleasant over the top sometimes soap opera musical.

mamaleh
#326NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 12:50am

I enjoyed the Damiano and Mueller mentions as much as the Mary Testa one some weeks back. I know 99 percent of the country has no idea who they are, but such name dropping adds to the show's authenticity, at least a little bit. But what happened to Julian Ovenden's glorious voice from DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY? I thought he sounded scratchy at worst and so-so at best tonight. Could it be his voice never recovered properly from the ailment that resulted in his leaving that Roundabout show? Or was it auto-tuned incorrectly? In any case, I was very much looking forward to hearing him sing and was sorely disappointed.

Marcellus2
#327NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 1:14am

Was anyone else really annoyed that that is not what a Dramaturg does at all? They don't come in to rewrite or reshape scripts. I have been fine with all the other inaccuracies on this show, but coming from a school that has a lot of focus in Dramaturgy, this bothered me. Sorry for my rant.

Updated On: 2/20/13 at 01:14 AM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#328NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 1:46am

I was a big fan of last season.. Even with its flaws. Not so much this season. Too many unbelievable sub plots and annoying new characters. Karen befriending Jeremy Jordon and his little gay friend to get his show produced when her show is floundering just seems like... "How does she have the time or energy?" Doesn't she need to be learning new scenes and songs and taking care of herself as a performer? And worry about being focused????? She has time to be the good Broadway Fairy too? Remember what a basket case she was when the show was "in tech." Now she has time to match songwriters with directors?

Jeremy Jordon's character is unlikable and arrogant. Jennifer Hudson's role seems to be coming out of nowhere---needing Derek to direct her act? And Ivy gets cast in Dangerous Liasons----when what we saw of her audition and accent were a total disaster? And Angelica Houston having the time to bring in a dramaturg when here show needs to be rescued from financial ruin???? Wouldn;t she be inundated with those financial problems? Wouldn't she leave the creative to Derrick, and the writers?

And what I saw of "Bombshell" last season looked really good? Angelica Houston's character loved it! Now they are going to rewrite it? How does Angelica's character have the time or inclination to worry about that with all of the financial problems? And how did those financial problems get solved? Did I miss something?

The dramaturg (who will no doubt be a love interest for Messing) does not work. His suggestion for The John Kennedy Marilyn Monrore scene/ song did not work. I think based on tonight's episode the show is going down hill. You know what Smash needs???? A dramaturg. Maybe even bring back Theresa Rebeck. Losing her was a mistake even if she was a despot. It was her vision. You don't axe the visionary.

Updated On: 2/20/13 at 01:46 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#329NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 1:57am

We didn't see her audition, I thought? Just her rehearsing with Tom and then her calling him after?

I had forgotten all about the Shadow Marilyns until they mentioned them tonight!

TheatreKid3
#330NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 3:28am

Surprised that nobody has mentioned or commented on the new opening credits that began with this episode, showing everyone's name and such.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#331NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 8:21am

Marcellus - from the beginning I understood that this was a "soap opera" about Broadway and did not expect everything to be accurate. I go through the same thing with my wife who is a nurse and she sees medical inaccuracy on a TV show.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#332NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 8:30am

"I was a big fan of last season.. Even with its flaws. Not so much this season. Too many unbelievable sub plots and annoying new characters. Karen befriending Jeremy Jordon and his little gay friend to get his show produced when her show is floundering just seems like... "How does she have the time or energy?" Doesn't she need to be learning new scenes and songs and taking care of herself as a performer? And worry about being focused????? She has time to be the good Broadway Fairy too? Remember what a basket case she was when the show was "in tech." Now she has time to match songwriters with directors? "

SMASH is basically a soap opera about Broadway and needs to be entertaining. The show had Karen learning new song (JFK) which you mentioned in your post also. Do you expect the show to have scenes of Karen sitting in her apartment resting her voice, that would be exciting - lol. Karen freaked out last year but like other new performers probably has grown up a bit after working with a show for some time.

"Jeremy Jordon's character is unlikable and arrogant. Jennifer Hudson's role seems to be coming out of nowhere---needing Derek to direct her act? And Ivy gets cast in Dangerous Liasons----when what we saw of her audition and accent were a total disaster? And Angelica Houston having the time to bring in a dramaturg when here show needs to be rescued from financial ruin???? Wouldn;t she be inundated with those financial problems? Wouldn't she leave the creative to Derrick, and the writers? "

A show can't have every character be nice and lovable, such is life. Lots of guys his age are young,brash and arrogant. Personally, I don't have a problem with him .

"The dramaturg (who will no doubt be a love interest for Messing) does not work. His suggestion for The John Kennedy Marilyn Monrore scene/ song did not work. I think based on tonight's episode the show is going down hill. You know what Smash needs???? A dramaturg. Maybe even bring back Theresa Rebeck. Losing her was a mistake even if she was a despot. It was her vision. You don't axe the visionary. "

At the end of the show, the dramaturg basically told Messing that song did not work and the relationship between Marilyn and JFK had to be from a different angle.

MKunkel Profile Photo
MKunkel
#333NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 8:32am

I'm surprised no one has wondered about the scene when Jeremy Jordan breaks into the house to, I'm assuming, steal back stolen pages from their show? And then a random man walks in and they appear to have a brawl. I don't understand the purpose of this, especially if their not going to explain anything.

susie777
#334NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 8:38am

Speaking of Debra Messing - her guest spot on Seinfeld was on the other night. Every time I watch old Seinfeld's I'm reminded how much fun sitcoms used to be. I watch a rare episode of a few of them but basically I think the sitcom will never be what it used to be. Best in the 70s and the 90s. They are bringing back too many shows that you need to watch every week. I don't mind the shows that have one new story every week and then a continuous story that is part of the show. Love POI because of this. I watch too much TV.

bryan2
#335NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 8:42am

last night was the first time i actually hated this show. Debra Messing and the Dramadude were some of the worst acted and amatuerish scenes I have ever witnessed in TV ..totally unbelievable..I agree that suspending believe is part of this but come on...like IVY after getting fired for being drunk ...not showing up for for a show during previews...would ever get hired again..if she was a star sure you get many chances but a chorus girl...come on.. I love Megan and it seems like they finally have realized she is the show...but please make it seem somewhat believable....The songs sucked -Jeremy Jordan -wierd eyes- is so ridiculous...like anyone waiting for "the big break" would do what he does...and since when does anyone who feels like it walk into a rehearsal and who in NYC living on the 1st floor would leave the window unlocked...lol ...I liked last year much better ...THIS WILL BE CANCELLED THIS YEAR..and it is the fault of the writers...it reminds me of the Movie STAYING ALIVE where it seemed like Sylvester Stallone and John Travolta never saw a Broadway musical...this seems the same tone

Updated On: 2/20/13 at 08:42 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#336NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 9:43am

Smash was terrible last night. Warts and all, the first season was so much better; it was fun to watch at least.

This "Hit List" musical sound AWFUL. How are we supposed to respect Derek as a talent when he can't call them on that. I liked how in the first scene Derek remarked that the songs were nothing but a collection of pop songs, but after he heard the ridiculous premise he was all, "That sounds CURRENT." (Get it, we're hip and cool, unlike Bombshell.)

Jeremy Jordan is so very unlikeable, and yes it's essential that we root for him. That's the way the writers have set him up, but it's impossible to go on the emotional journey of getting his show to Broadway when he's such an asshole (and his show sucks).

The JFK song wasn't good, and more importantly it wasn't what Bombshell needed. How are we supposed to respect Sunjata's character when he gives such awful, and misogynistic may I add, advice.

Where are the (good) musical numbers? Much as I adore and worship Hilty, her pop songs never come off that well on Smash. Can't they find a showtune that conveys the same message and let her sing it? Musically this episode was a mess.

I'm somewhat upset this morning because I want to support and love Smash and it is letting me down. I told everyone I knew in the break between seasons to catch up on season one and start watching when season two starts. Now I feel like I sold them a bad product.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#337NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 9:47am

Ha, I texted WAT after last night's episode and said the same thing. It truly sucked!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#338NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:05am

I'm surprised no one has wondered about the scene when Jeremy Jordan breaks into the house to, I'm assuming, steal back stolen pages from their show? And then a random man walks in and they appear to have a brawl. I don't understand the purpose of this, especially if their not going to explain anything.

It's a soap opera. More to the point, it's a serial drama. No one has mentioned it because it's clear that we're not supposed to understand yet, and it will be explained later. Although, from their conversations and Jimmy's description of the plot, I thought it was pretty obvious that the man was his abusive stepfather. We'll see what happens.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#339NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:21am

I'm with you Dottie :)

I think you're right about the break-in and the man being Jeremy's abusive step-father, Yero. Still, they should have set that up a little better.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#340NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:21am

I was so confused by the introduction of JFK.

At first, I was like, "oh, hey, Matt Bogart! Odd choice for JFK, but ok..."

And then we saw an entirely different guy (Ovenden) playing JFK in the next rehearsal scene. How exactly did Matt "help" them with JFK?

Maybe I'm just a slow learner...?

Thought it was a real dip from last week. Although the next-episode preview looks pretty scintillating; I rewound to check that it is actually Jerry essentially telling Karen to back off. Hope he joins the producing team and fires her from the show. It would be the most fun that character's ever been.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#341NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:27am

The cancellation clock is ticking. SMASH came in third in the ratings last night behind Vegas (CBS) and the return of Body of Proof (ABC). Early numbers show that Body of Proof beat Smash by about 85%. Ouch.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#342NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:32am

In the scene with Sunjata and Messing something was missing. And then I realized with terror...

It needed Leo at her side adding unbelievably dumb rejoinders.

To paraphrase the Marquis De Sade, SMASH without trash is like food without taste. I'll keep watching but I'm beginning to take to Julie Klausner's comment that the show is like that Chinese food place that nobody knew about but you loved that is suddenly under new management and seems the same...until you try the egg rolls and realize they f**ked it up.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#343NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:39am

@elphaba.scares.me -- I was confused at first too, but I rewatched the scene and I think this is what happened:

They said that Matt Bogart's character was filling in over Simon (Julian Ovenden) until he arrived. The initial "rehearsal" of the number happened offscreen, and then when the producers came to see the performance, Simon has arrived and thus performs the number with Karen.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#344NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:42am

Yes the Bogart/Ovenden switch was confusing. I don't know if many people would have even picked up on in though.

So is Matt on this show in a recurring form?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#345NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:42am

Sadly, I do think this will be the final season of SMASH, but I did enjoy last night's episode for what it was. After Dottie D'Luscia texted me, I then started watching it on my DVR, and while it is flawed, I still like the fact that there is a show on a major network about Broadway. As long as it is still on the air, I will continue to support it.

bryan2
#346NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:45am

I also think the drama leading up to Ivy getting Marilyn back is just nuts...Karen was the underdog last year...very lazy writing to have Ivy now become the underdog..Supposedly Karen got RAVE reviews in Boston...she would not be replaced again by a nobody which is what Ivy is at this point..(no offence Megan ..love u) I am still baffled by the Jeremy character being such a jerk...we have derek -jerk- Angelicas husband-jerk- Ivy -jerk-
new writer guy-jerk-....WTF ..who is really likable at this point...Last year we were rooting for Karen (some of us) because Ivy was a bitch...now even Karen is a jerk......

willep
#347NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:50am

Yeah, that's what happened. But it seems pointless and just a bit confusing to have that. Why did they even need that extra character to "do a favor until Simon is free" for two seconds?

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#348NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 11:06am

Thanks, kyl3fong2:

That just seems so silly, doesn't it? Why have that scene at all with an actor who's not going to be "the" actor? It's not like it advanced the plot.

You could have skipped right to the reveal of what they did, and saved us all a minute of our lives. Always nice to see people like Matt Bogart get a couple minutes of screen time, though. Maybe they're setting him up for a storyline?

They sure didn't style/light him very well, though. He's a really, really good-looking guy.

Will Swenson for DiMaggio!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#349NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/20/13 at 11:14am

Is anyone else bothered by the crazy sexism that runs through the show? It was especially out and about in last night's episode. Just the overall treatment of Julia is crazy to me, she's a 40-something year old woman who's supposed to be very smart and creative, and yet she is running around town, screaming at this guy whom she's supposed to be working with professionally. The whole time we're supposed to think she's being completely irrational and that ultimately he knows what's best for her as they show at the end of the episode. He's so condescending! But because he is a guy we know that he can put her in her place and she'll love him for it by the next episode. Ivy, who's incredibly strong in other aspects of her life, turns into a whimpering mess as soon as he's in front of Derrick, another idiot that the show keeps insisting is just smart and tortured but brilliant. Their approach to "Dancing On My Own" (while entertaining) was just so embedded to the show's sexist politics, turning a song that has the potential to be empowering (like we saw in GIRLS) into a sad ballad about a girl crying over some a-hole who has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. And then on top of everything the plot of HIT LIST is insanely misogynist, this girl steals this guy's music and becomes addicted to fame but the guy, of course being noble and good, sacrifices everything for her and she's just a bitch. How shows get away with this crap is unbelievable to me.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"