pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 164

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

Mrtrobz
#4075Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 10:23am

I didn't actually expect this much promo.

Len6677
#4076Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 10:35am

I noticed a few more reviews have come out today. It seems most of the negative comments stem from the fact that Marshall and Lapine didn't majorly mess around with the second half and kept it dark. We were worried they were going to remove the darkness, and a bunch of these critics are essentially moaning because they didn't!

Still though, overall positive reactions, seeming to stay between 75-80% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Updated On: 12/19/14 at 10:35 AM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#4077Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 10:39am

Remember back in May when everyone was whining that we STILL didn't have a trailer? Or in October when everyone said "The movie's 2 months away why is Disney being so SLOW with the publicity?"

I think they've done a pretty wonderful job with it. Instead of going the Les Mis route, which was "Start early and just keep throwing things out every two weeks to remind people that THIS MOVIE WILL BE HUGE," Disney went with the slow and steady strategy, ultimately building to a big publicity push towards the end.

They waited about 5 months before the release to give us a 100 second teaser. Then they waited another 2 1/2 months to give us a "Making of Featurette," and then it was another 2 weeks (about 7 weeks before the release) until we got a legitimate trailer. All the while building up anticipation and making us savor every little piece of the film they were willing to give us. Now, with the cast on every talk show and commercials flooding our TV's (though, if you notice, the commercials only differ from each other slightly. Every time they say it's a "New trailer" it's either the same music to a few new clips or the same clips to new music), it feels like a great number of people, not just the die-hard fans of the stage show, are legitimately excited for the movie.

A great many on here were nervous that Disney wasn't going to promote this movie at all. I think it's safe to say that they promoted this movie better than any other Hollywood studio could have.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Liza's Headband
#4078Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 10:58am

Addison. I was more so opining for the "good ol' days," not complaining about INTO THE WOODS. I love this musical and very much look forward to seeing the movie. I guess I'm just in an older generation that doesn't understand seeing nearly half of the film - through trailers, teasers, promotional pieces, etc. - before I even walk into the movie theater. I get it. Everyone is different. But, for me, the inundation and over-saturation ruins some of the magic, mystery, and surprise. I guess that's not the case for younger ones.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#4079Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 11:22am

Just submitted my entry to the INTO THE WOODS "No One Is Alone" Tumblr Fan Art Contest! Love how this turned out and it took forever. I won't know when the judges see it (sometime in January) but I hope they get a kick out of it! Anyone else entering? Grand prize is a trip to NYC and 5 first prizes include autographed movie posters, the soundtrack, gift cards, etc. Let me know what y'all think! :)

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#4080Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 11:28am

I really love it. What font is being used for the movie's logo?
I'm guessing the couple at the center are The Baker and his wife and Jack is to right, but who is that to the left? Is the female silhouette up in the branches supposed to be the witch? I see the beans in the lower left corner and Cinderella's slipper in the lower right corner...clever.

I would have done the background green and the letters the same golden color as the movie's logo but that's my only quibble, other than that I love it.

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#4081Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 11:44am

jacobsnchz14 - That looks amazing! Nice work!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#4082Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 11:58am

My guess was L to R: Red, Cinderella, Baker, Jack and in the top left corner, the Baker's Wife watching over...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#4083Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 12:03pm

Is the female silhouette up in the branches supposed to be the witch?

It looks to me like the four ingredients are in the corners. The cow, the slipper, and the hair. The female silhouette is Little Red representing that cape.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#4084Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 12:32pm

At least the early reviews are for the most part positive. Remember LES MISERABLES and how split the reviews most certainly were? I do.

tenorphil81
#4085Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 12:51pm

You have a point, Musical Master. We at least haven't seen something as harsh as the Time Magazine review of LES MIS that said (and I paraphrase): "This film makes me wish they'd bring back the guillotine."

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#4086Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 12:52pm

Nice Q&A piece with Billy Magnussen. Some interesting insight into how he fleshed out the character of Rapunzel's Prince. Also…look at those blue eyes. Dayum.

https://nowtoronto.com/movies/qand-a-billy-magnussen/ Updated On: 12/19/14 at 12:52 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#4087Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 1:05pm

He's purty...and I love that he cusses.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#4088Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 1:31pm

I love that he loves Steven Spielberg - especially when you consider that he was BORN in 1985, when Spielberg was well into his career and had already had a bunch of hit movies by that time. That blows my mind (speaking as someone who saw Raiders of the Lost Ark when it first came out.)

ArtMan
#4089Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 3:08pm

Jacob, You're very talented. Good Luck.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#4090Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 3:14pm

Magnussen's got a bit of a Benedict Cumberbatch thing going on. You know, in one picture he can look stunning and in the next... you wouldn't be surprised if his parents were cousins.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#4091Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 3:18pm

I've noticed that, too, but I think some people just don't photograph well. I know I don't. Of course, it's a lot less fortunate for actors.

When I saw him in VANYA AND SONIA, he was pretty terrifically attractive from all angles.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#4092Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 3:32pm

I'm two years younger than Billy Magnussen and find it a bit baffling that it's surprising for someone in this generation to love Spielberg -- he made a lot of the movies of my childhood, both from before I was born and after.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#4093Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 3:38pm

Oh, I wasn't surprised that he loves Spielberg - lots of young people do. It's just always nice to see someone appreciate something that came before them, I guess. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, here's an interview with Magnussen from August. Boy, he is one happy enthusiastic guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMfNXwIp49o

Starship
#4094Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 3:51pm

I wasn't familiar with Billy until that interview Sarah posted and damn....he's giving me all the feels.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4095Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 4:12pm

Yeah, I don't find Magnussen especially attractive in photos - in person, though.. dang. No regrets seeing him in Vanya & Sonia & Masha & Spike 3 times, that's for sure.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#4096Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 5:45pm

"I wasn't familiar with Billy until that interview Sarah posted and damn....he's giving me all the feels."

Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread My work here is done...

Seriously, I think ITW might be a breakout role for Billy. Most people will go into the movie knowing who Chris Pine is, and expecting a great performance from him (although a lot of people don't know he can sing.)

Billy, though, is a relative unknown and when you combine the fact that he's cute, can sing, AND plays a character who one reviewer called "masculine, cherubic, and gallant" - well, I think there's going to be a lot of new fans, Deviantart, and fanfiction born from what he does with this role. I guess we'll see, but I wish him all the best.

Updated On: 12/19/14 at 05:45 PM

Plexsis
#4097Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 6:35pm

Wow reviewers are really not liking the second half...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4098Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 6:46pm

As of now, the majority of the "rotten" reviews are coming from third tier critics and bloggers.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#4099Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/14 at 6:49pm

And the rating went down to 70% in the process but give it a few days and it might rise.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!